• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static Pressure Importance in Pull vs Push

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanos

Registered
Hi Everyone,

Either I am not proficient with the forum's search feature or i'm simply not finding it, I had a quick question about static pressure relevance in the orientation of a fan.

Im in the market for getting another 60mm fan to hang on the front of my board's IOH heatsink, as the one I am using now used to sit atop a heatsink for a Pentium III processor (oh memories), and runs rather fast and loud at it's 4000 to 6000 rpm range (i am not exaggerating this number.). I'd like to get something a little quieter, and of course my cup runneth over when it comes to choices. Having recently done a lot of research into fans with the best static pressure, I couldn't help but ask: is this a situation where static pressure is a better bench mark than a CFM count? I have attached an image to this post so you can see what heatsink I am tying this fan to - it's the large aluminum one right in the center of the board.

Any opinion you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated, as I simply want to get my cooling solution 'right.' Thanks!

Attachments

• intel-dx58og.jpg
    intel-dx58og.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,013
In a air cooled rig with no rads or parts blocking airflow, like a rad, CFM is all you need to worry about. Just a fan will do.

And if a modern board, no need to even put a fan there.

Static pressure is important when you have a cooler whose fins are packed very tightly together, like the original Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme. It becomes much less important in the same application when there is also a pull fan. All other things being equal, deeper blades (thicker fans) give more static pressure (e.g., a 120x35mm fan will produce higher static pressure than a 120x25mm fan).

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys. I will simply be budget concious with this one then.

Conundrum: I kind of have a 50/50 situation relative to what you have said: I use a Corsair H60 for the processor's cooling which takes away any possible airflow the stock CPU cooler would have afforded the IOH heatsink. These boards run hot, especially on the IOH, and it did overheat & lockup once after I started overclocking, warranting a little fan. Once i put this little guy on though, big difference in temps, it now idles @60C C and goes to 75C under full load. I kind of got a lemon when it comes to this board, the bigger sister of this one is the DX58SO2 and it's heatsinks are much more robust. Quite a few posts about the IOH overheating on the intel forums as well, methinks it's more than coincidence.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Yanos, I'm sorry for being OOT :D

but, I'm curious...
what's the mobo that you attached at the 1st post?
it looks so dang sexy :drool:

Yanos, I'm sorry for being OOT :D

but, I'm curious...
what's the mobo that you attached at the 1st post?
it looks so dang sexy :drool:

Hey InVain,

This puppy I posted is what I currently have in my system, an Intel brand motherboard, the DX58OG. It's a midrange 'Intel Extreme' series mobo, and i aggree, i picked this puppy out because of it's tripple channel memory support, 6gb/second SATA III ports, six total available memory slots, and it was just plain beefy :D . Now for it's bigger better sister however, was out of my price range, check out the DX58SO2, though i'm thinking I should have sprung for the extra on this one as the heat pipes on the voltage regulator and the larger heat sinks on the IOH and ICH hubs are simply bigger & better.

Thanks for asking!

A note on the Noctua - yes I would love to put a noctua on my IOH :clap:, but I just can't get something like that to fit. (I think)

Back