• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Temps Stock 4770k on WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voaltile

Registered
So I installed a Kracken x61 today and have been doing stress tests trying to overclock all day (none were succeeding, either too high temps and throttling and straight crashes).

I then proceeded to set the CPU to stock and I have been running Prime95 since, with RealTemp open to check the temps.

I'm getting minimums of 31-34C and maximums of 82-94C (my fourth core is always ridiculously cold compared to the others, a low of 31C and a high of 82C).

For a stock clocked 4770k on a closed loop block, even with prime95, isn't 94C high?

I'm extremely confused and out of options, and I'm not a complete noob when it comes to this. I've reseated and re-pasted the block multiple times with barely any differences.

Ive noticed that temperatures go down from core 1-4. Core 1 is the hottest, and 4 is the coolest. Almost no exceptions to this.

The Build:
CASE: Corsair 900D
CPU: i7 4770k @ 3.5Ghz
COOLER: NZXT Kracken x61
PASTE: Arctic Silver NX-4 (I also tried some Noctua paste)
MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero
GPU: EVGA Titan Black Superclocked
RAM: G.Skill 2133Mhz 4x4GB
DRIVES: 3x120GB SSD Kingston HyperX in RAID0 & 1x3Tb WD Red
SOUND: Creative SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: 650W Antec TruPower (I know it needs an upgrade)

I think I may be approaching my wattage limit soon...

Any help would be appreciated, I am extremely confused :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
It stabilizes at 1.228V @ It maxes at around 3706 Mhz (isn't it supposed to go up to 3.9Ghz?? :confused::confused:)

Last edited:
Lower the Vcore to 1.00v, or at least a tenth of a volt to 1.12v. Even w/ only 1 core active and max turbo boost of 3.9GHz, that's only a 400MHz overclock from the default of 3.5GHz. So it shouldn't need 1.228v w/ 4 active cores running Prime at 3.7GHz, or higher w/ only 1 core active.

Couldn't boot at 1.00v, but I was successful at 1.12v

I'll let Prime95 run for 10minutes and report back. Things are looking a bit better already though!

Looking better, here are the results after ~10mins:
They still seem high to me though. :-/

eb49fab4bd.png

Have you attempted to reseat your cooler? I'd try this as well. My 4770k did 1.075v at 4ghz flat. You can prob try 1.1. But the 4770k is a hot running chip either way.

Have you attempted to reseat your cooler? I'd try this as well. My 4770k did 1.075v at 4ghz flat. You can prob try 1.1. But the 4770k is a hot running chip either way.

I thought the same, and I've reseated it 3 times already. Almost no differences.

That being said I'm currently running a 10 min test for 4ghz @ 1.175 vcore. Doesn't look so good to be honest.

I'm gonna call it a night for now. I don't know what to think. Seriously thinking I should delid it at this point.
Edit: Results of 4.00Ghz @ 1.175 :-/

0457ed0376.png

Last edited:
Welcome to OCFs.

I've been hearing lately of these chips running really hot if not hotter than their 4770k in some instances. Yeah, you'll have to edit the bios settings as you've improved the temps by a good bunch as opposed to what they were before.

You have more than enough airflow as well being in a 900D. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Just make sure you're AIO is moving fluid around and there's no lodged bubbles in the CPU block/Pump.

Hyper threading is an absolute must for me as I'm a programmer. I mes with the voltages a bit more when I get home.

Your temps don't look out of line for the tests you're running on the system you've built. What are your ambient temps? I don't see mention of them.

If you aren't going to run with H/T, what's the point of buying an I7? You might as well buy an I5 with 2mb less cache.

OP, I really don't trust RealTemp anymore, especially with the newer CPU's. You really need to spend a lot of time to calibrate it. Two of my six cores show an idle temp of 16c on my 4930k. Hey, why water cool? I'm apparently running sub-ambient on air.

Do you think delidding would get me a large temperature drop? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Do you think delidding would get me a large temperature drop? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

It voids the warranty so are you willing to buy another one or a few if you mess up the process? It's a delicate process but can be done and yes you usually see big improvements.

Last edited:
I don't own a 3770k/4770K if I do, I pop the lid open without second thought. It easy to do and get great temp drop.

You can't. They are soldered on. Well...unless you want to ruin the CPU. The higher end CPU's do have better cooling. Thay have to give us something. You buy a 300.00 CPU, you get a "cooler". It's in quotes because it's only good for stock settings. You buy a 550.00 or 1100.00 CPU, you get no cooler, only the CPU. I guess they feel most people, like me, won't use their cooler anyway. I don't even use them on lower end CPU's even for stock settings. A cooler CPU is a happy CPU. :)

Last edited:
I really wish I had one then, in my situations I could use the 6c/12t for programming and development.

I've been watching a lot of videos about de-liding with the vice and hammer method and they look almost foolproof. I really want to do it, really really want to, but there's still that small chance that you can screw it up.

If I were to do it, I determined Liquid Ultra would be the best and that Id like to clean the glue off really well. What would be the best cleaning solution for the chip?

Back