• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chrome Colored Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cam_miles2003

Registered
I need a little help with some aesthetic work I'm going to be doing on my new setup:

I was able to acquire a limited edition Cooler Master CSX Spartan V1 Stacker 830 Case
(seen here)

C283-3110-call-01-wc.jpg

http://www.revolutionpc.net/store/Cooler-Master-CSX-Spartan-V1-Stacker-830-Case-Limited-Edition.html

Thankfully I was able to get a massive discount on it :attn:
The original owner didn't use it that much and its still relatively brand new within the box (it'll arrive within 35 days since I'm using ocean freight shipping).

Now my semi-ambitious plan is to use chrome colored 1/2 inch tubing for my watercooling setup.

Combined with the case I expect it to look awesome, especially when combined with a Rampage 3 Extreme MoB and and an Asus Ares :bday: (yeah the parts are now considered old but they're brand new, never used and I' m going for a certain theme to this case....Ares+Sparta = WIN)

Now I've looked everywhere online, no one seems to be selling chrome colored tubing so I'm going to have to make it myself.

Here's a video example of the process I'm going to use

however, instead of the spray used there I plan to use Killer Chrome (costs around $129 for a set)

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm

Now this type of spray can work on a variety of surfaces ranging from tiles, metal, plastics etc.

Here's an example of the color I'm going for:

P1070965_L.jpg

So I'm willing to bet it'll work on the plastic surface of a tube.

Now to make it look like I used actual chrome tubing I need a 1/2 type tubing that's flexible but has a certain rigidity (more so than what you would normally see in an average watercooling loop) to it to get the "made from metal look".

If you know of any type of tubing that fits the bill please let me know.

Yes I do realize that covering the tube in paint makes it impossible to see the flow rate so what I'm planning to do is to measure, cut and place the tubing and complete the entire setup, then take it apart, coat the tubing then put it back together with a flow meter so that I can check the flow rate.

Its a rather simple project but the effects should look epic: :cool:

Mmm, I wonder about how well this coating will hold up when you bend and flex the tubing. I know nothing about painting tubing and getting the paint to not crack and peal though, so this will be something to keep a watch on.

Please post up how the project comes along and plenty of pics too.:thup:

As for stiff tubing, the stiffest I've messed with it the silver antimicrobial Tygon, but it's expensive. With that tubing though, you don't have to worry about creepy crawlies growing in your loop and don't need any other biocide (assuming no mixed metals in your loop).

Mmm, I wonder about how well this coating will hold up when you bend and flex the tubing. I know nothing about painting tubing and getting the paint to not crack and peal though, so this will be something to keep a watch on.

Please post up how the project comes along and plenty of pics too.:thup:

As for stiff tubing, the stiffest I've messed with it the silver antimicrobial Tygon, but it's expensive. With that tubing though, you don't have to worry about creepy crawlies growing in your loop and don't need any other biocide (assuming no mixed metals in your loop).

How the paint will hold up is a definite concern especially when it comes to bending and flexing the tubing (if the paint peals and cracks....:cry:). Hence the fact I'm looking for a more rigid type of tubing that somewhat retains it shape after measuring, cutting and installing. Once I get it in there I have to remove it and the shape should be retained (somewhat) so that I can minimize any warping that may occur.

I'll check out the link you sent, thanks! :D

I'm going to need some type of black colored 1/2 inch tubing. It'll help make the layering of the chrome coloring better

That tygon is not silver, it's just an ugly grey color.

Wasn't talking about the color of the tubing; just the stiffness. And yes, it is more grey than silver. That is due to the real silver inside the tubing it is coated with. I imagine they used some kind of powdered silver to coat the inside which is why it's not all shiny like a sterling silver ring.

Back