• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Controller / PWM Booster / Regulator / Converter / Etc. Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's what the controller would take care of. Small PCB (maybe 1" x 2") with a serial (cheaper) or USB (more expensive) cable coming out of it, a Molex for power, and solder pads to attach a strip or two of those LEDs. Program color/mode/pattern via windows software.
Complete guesswork on cost, maybe $15-20 for a serial board, and $30 for a USB board. Or you can use your own USB-Serial adaptor with the serial board, that's fine too.

Currently you're stuck using an Arduino or a MSP430G2553 board. Either is quite doable, but custom and fairly big, and neither will provide the power that those LEDs want.

If there is enough interest I'll look into developing something. It may cost more or less than above.

Last edited:
That's what the controller would take care of. Small PCB with a serial (cheaper) or USB (more expensive) cable coming out of it, a Molex for power, and solder pads to attach a strip or two of those LEDs. Program color/mode/pattern via windows software.

Currently you're stuck using an Arduino or a MSP430G2553 board. Either is quite doable, but custom and fairly big, and neither will provide the power that those LEDs want.

I'm confused (Sorry :bang head )

So we need an Arduino or a MSP430G2553?

Or you create a controller and that's all we need?

I'd create a controller, which would be all that you needed. It and a LED strip, of course.
It may not end up costing any less than an Arduino, but it would be smaller and require less custom work.

I'd create a controller, which would be all that you needed. It and a LED strip, of course.
It may not end up costing any less than an Arduino, but it would be smaller and require less custom work.

Thanks for clearing that up. (Bed time for me? :shrug: )

Yeah, those too. It'd need different firmware (or more tricks in the firmware and a switch to tell it WS2811 vs WS2812 LEDs), but that's not an issue especially.

Yeah, those too. It'd need different firmware (or more tricks in the firmware and a switch to tell it WS2811 vs WS2812 LEDs), but that's not an issue especially.

Cool :cool:
I'd buy the LED's I linked to. Mainly because shipping is $20 USD from adafruit they said, so to keep costs lower, I'll buy the cheaper less dense LEDs.

To answer the original question,
Yes! I'm interested in an LED controller.

Case lighting is something I'd like, and my case currently lacks :thup:

There are other sources for those strips, you might be able to find something in Canada with cheaper shipping.
In any event, I'll look into things here.

Ordered up a few PCBs. New revision of the 1:10 booster:splitter, the first 1:1 booster boards, and a PCB for the basic 555 timer.
I plan to sell the last one as a kit in the classies. The others I figure I'll solder, unless people specifically request otherwise.

Hi bobnova , can you please provide schematics and parts list for the active pwm booster/splitter?

Cheers

There's a schematic in the DIY fan controller thread.
Planning to make one?

Thanks for the reply!
Was considering building one as I have issues with Corsair SP120 fans and retail PWM splitters (Swiftech 8-way splitter). 4 Corsair SP120 can detect the mobo's PWM signal, but anymore fan or other device (pump), and the SP120s can't detect the PWM signal and default to max speed.
I've just built a PWM amplifier and that seems to work, so i'll put off building your splitter/amplifier for now.

That said, I can only build circuits from schematics + parts lists (i don't actually know proper electronics). Mind clarifying which parts are needed for your design?

Thanks!

One 1k resistor and two 470 Ohm resistors, one logic level P channel MOSFET and one logic level N channel MOSFET. What exact parts you use doesn't actually matter much. I used "568-7512-5-ND" and "SPP15P10PL H-ND" MOSFETs from Digikey for the first run.

One 1k resistor and two 470 Ohm resistors, one logic level P channel MOSFET and one logic level N channel MOSFET. What exact parts you use doesn't actually matter much. I used "568-7512-5-ND" and "SPP15P10PL H-ND" MOSFETs from Digikey for the first run.

Cheers for that. I'll build it sometime! :thup:

What resistor is R1? R2? R3? :)

Sorry as I skimmed through this thread but a nice affordable controller (more affordable than the Aquaero 6 and compatible) that can control x10+ PWM fan (30w+ each channel or higher)/pumps(PWM)/temp sensors(air/water)/display controller (Nice color graphics, maybe screen saver or input photos....ok i know i am going overboard) on a single or dual bay would be awesome. If I could connect my flow meter (Koolance) and 3rd part after market LED strip to it (NZXT Hue) as well. I would be sold. (Gasp)

I know this is already asking ALOT but software would be the icing on the cake. Something like Corsair Link but that really WORKS! :rofl:

I know that is a load of stuff to build. But if its doable I would like insurance in long term testing that it works before I would put something like this in charge of my whole expensive cooling system.

:chair: (Walking away from computer now)

Back