• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 mounts of EK supHF vs 3 mounts DT sniper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RGE

Liked the aesthetics of DT sniper, so decided to get it, and tested next to my EK supreme HF. Used 7 dallas 1 wire probes with crystalfonz 633 interface to log all 5 ambient air intakes on 360 rad + 280 rad, and 2 in water.

Since both blocks have a defined stopping point, mounting pressure is always same, which allows much closer mount to mount temps, plus using thin PK1 I think helps as well. Was going to do 5 mounts, but was getting very repeatable, so just did 3. All with 4mm dot in middle with PK1.

3770K, 4.6ghz, 1.35 vcore bios, prime small ffts 12K for all tests. 15 mins prime 12k to fully heat water (though usually steady state is in 7-8mins). Then logged data for 10 mins, logging core temps, water temps, and 5 intake ambients (1 intake for each 120 fan on rad) all per 1 second.

EK sup HF with plate 6, delta core to water
Mnt1 50.3
Mnt2 50.3
Mnt3 50.1

DT Sniper, delta core to water

The delta air to water ranged from 2.7 to 2.9 for EK supHF
The delta air to water ranged from 2.9 to 3.0 for DT Sniper

So EK sup HF on my 3770K was 1.5C better/lower temps than DT Sniper, based on delta core to water. ? some difference in temps from depth of channels/size base diff. (note if I use Delta core to air intake avg, EK sup hf is 1.65C better/lower temps than DT Sniper, though core to water tends to be more accurate).

Much prefer aesthetics of DT sniper, and way too lazy to change back now, so it is going to be my block for awhile.

Pic of EK sup HF
eksuphfpic.jpg

Pic of EK sup HF tim pattern Mount 1 (wider bow than DT sniper)
EKsuphfmnt1pic.jpg

Pic of DT Sniper
sniper_pic.jpg

Pic of DT Sniper tim pattern, Mount 1
sniperMnt1.jpg

Comparing to a Supreme HF is a good idea. Everyone needs independent data and you do this well. Perhaps EK might send you a Supremacy and Bitspower a Summit EF to test? Thanks again for the thread. :)

Comparing to a Supreme HF is a good idea. Everyone needs independent data and you do this well. Perhaps EK might send you a Supremacy and Bitspower a Summit EF to test? Thanks again for the thread. :)

Thanks. I actually looked Bitspower, like the look of it as well and almost bought that, but the internals suggest it isnt going to perform as well as supreme HF or Swiftech HD so tried the Sniper. Bitspower used ~1/2 number of fins, ie 0.5mm width fins/channels, so much less surface area, and ? less deep, so while little better for flow, it is likely going to get beat in performance from lack of same surface area as highest performers. Same issue as the DT Sniper as it turns out, smaller base, and thinner base which means less deep channels and lower fins so less surface area, and didnt measure width channels so possibly lower surface area there as well from thicker cut channels.

No question Bitspower and DTwaterblocks could easily make a base that would at least perform on par with SupHF and Swiftech HD just by using similar size and thickness copper base and mill channels as deep (so fins are as tall), and mill channels as numerous, so fins or pins (if crosscut as well) as numerous. But cost is greater, which must be reason for not doing so. But I wish they would have tried to compete with higher end, rather than being a more budget bang for buck, I would like more aesthetic choices.

As for testing, I dont have Martins patience :D. But I bought all equipment years ago, as I like being able to accurately test the components I use.

I never tested the Sniper! thanks!!

I tested EKHF, Koolance360 and Raystorm
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=709078

and yes, in my current build, PK-1 remains the BEST non-IX TIM to use. :)

yep, it is also a great testing tim, with mx-2 I would get more variability mount to mount, this has been most consistent mounting tim as well.

Can you fix your link, interested to see your testing?

Thanks, I had read that, thought that looked familiar. Looks like XSPC raystorm, 370, and sup hf all roughly same perf. wise with tight mounts, and 370 most tolerant of looser mounts.

Looks like all the top performing blocks are making roughly 0.3mm channel/fin width. 370, raystorm, Ek sup hf all ~0.3mm channel/fin width to maximize surface area. DT sniper has larger ? 0.5mm fin/channel width. And EK sup hf has 1.9mm depth, heatkiller had 1.5mm, not sure of height/depth others.

Last edited:
Back