• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA Classified, 920, & G.Skills won't boot in tri-channel . . . Bent pins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

ISo I just got my parts from Newegg . . .

DSC02537-1.jpg
Link to high res pic

and put them together last night . . .

DSC02545-1.jpg
Link to high res pic

But I found that my board won't to boot in tri-channel mode. I can only boot if I have 1 or 2 sticks in, not 3.

To make sure it wasn't the RAM, I tried switching around sticks to no avail. I also confirmed each stick works by running each one alone.

Upon further inspection, I found that some of the pins in the socket seemed to be bent. blink.gif I did some further research online and it seems that many people have complained that it is very easy to accidentally bend pins on the 1366 socket. I also read that someone else couldn't boot in tri-channel and that it was because of bent pins. . . .

I suspect that this occurred on my board when I was installing the CPU. I tried to bend the pins back so they all look uniform but I found it to be extremely difficult. I even used a magnifying glass and one of those tiny micro-screwdrivers that are used for glasses. . . I did the best I could but it didn't solve the problem. . . .

I wonder if I could possibly get an RMA from Newegg for this board. Perhaps they will be willing to exchange. Or perhaps would EVGA be willing to repair it or exchange it. I have heard about the socket being replaced on a mobo. . . .

Any suggestions on the fastest route to go?

All branny spanking new and all I would RMA the mobo ..
Got to be a bummer that all looks sweet ...

Yeah, it is a bummer. But that's ok. I just means more waiting.

I'll probably call them tomorrow and see if I can get an RMA. . . . Although I heard that its easier and faster to do it online. Anyone have experience with that?

I had a Biostar i45 t-power I bought awhile ago but brand new from the egg came with bent pins. Apparently during shipping the cpu cover came loose. I immediately RMA, no problem online. Marked as defective board.

Man you got to get a better cooler than the Intel stock one. :) :)

I had a Biostar i45 t-power I bought awhile ago but brand new from the egg came with bent pins. Apparently during shipping the cpu cover came loose. I immediately RMA, no problem online. Marked as defective board.
That's good to hear. Hopefully things will go that smooth with my RMA. I'll be sending it off today.

Man you got to get a better cooler than the Intel stock one. :) :)
Very true! . . . I figured it would be a good idea to do some preliminary testing on air first to make sure the board works and to decide which CPU to go with. (It would have been a real pain if I setup the board for water-cooling and then discovered a problem with the board and had to take it all apart again to restore the board to stock condition for an RMA.)

When I get a working board and settle on a CPU then I'll throw it under the TEC and see how much further it'll go. . . . The TEC does a pretty good job getting frosty. . . .

25-Frostpicture3-1.jpg
Link to high res pic

DangerDen just cut a new top for me for the Maze4 on a i7. . . . Here's how it looks.

DSC02557-1.jpg
Link to high res pic

Back