• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Video Card for 30"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fire2havoc

I recently got a 30" so it's finally time to say thanks to my GTX 285 and move onto something more powerful and capable of handling the latest games at 2560x1600.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 2GB Radeon 6950, which I might flash to the 6970 bios. Is this the best choice in terms of price/performance? Will I lose much by foregoing PhysX?

Based on everything I have seen, the 6950 is on par with the GTX 570, which costs ~$80 more.

If a 6950 is the best choice, I think the one from Sapphire for $257 AR is currently the best price.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Personally when I get the money I plan on purchasing 2 Radeon 6970's @ 2GB for crossfire. Going with XFX for their lifetime warranty ordeal. Obviously the 6970 is the best choice, running a 6950 as a 6970 (If that's what I understand) will make it run warmer.
And actually the Sapphire is priced at $277 on newegg. I would prefer XFX. Has the same rating and if anything goes wrong you have a lifetime warranty. It's prices at $300 for an XFX but personally. That's only $23 compared to paying twice for a new one if it breaks out of warranty.

Personally when I get the money I plan on purchasing 2 Radeon 6970's @ 2GB for crossfire. Going with XFX for their lifetime warranty ordeal. Obviously the 6970 is the best choice, running a 6950 as a 6970 (If that's what I understand) will make it run warmer.
And actually the Sapphire is priced at $277 on newegg. I would prefer XFX. Has the same rating and if anything goes wrong you have a lifetime warranty. It's prices at $300 for an XFX but personally. That's only $23 compared to paying twice for a new one if it breaks out of warranty.

Haven't seen the temp difference between a 6950 flashed to 6970 and a stock 6970. Shouldn't be too big.

I'll be purchasing from Amazon...no sales tax :)

Hm. I pass on Amazon when it comes to hardware. But doesn't change my recommendation of XFX instead of Sapphire.

If this is for gaming and you plan on gaming at 2560x1600 I would highly suggest a SLi/CF setup games like Crysis/Metro etc will crawl @ that res with even a single 580

example http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-580-review/14

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start with one card for now and see what types of frames I get. If needed, I can always get a second one.

Right now, I'm just trying to choose between HIS and Sapphire. Is one better than the other?

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start with one card for now and see what types of frames I get. If needed, I can always get a second one.

Right now, I'm just trying to choose between HIS and Sapphire. Is one better than the other?

Sorry not sure I haven't had an ATI for ages.

Back