• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bulldozer FX-8120 Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nice choice but just wondering,will the coolermaster v8 work pretty good?

Was using a Coolermaster V8 on my PII 1090T ans was able to shave off about 8/10*C when I switched to an Antec 920. The Antec Khuler 920 is an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Was using a Coolermaster V8 on my PII 1090T ans was able to shave off about 8/10*C when I switched to an Antec 920. The Antec Khuler 920 is an excellent choice.

i just went water cooling.unit will arrive on tuesday.

Ya honestly ever since the price of the LCLCs came down its far more cost effective to use them now. We all knew this day was coming to be honest; a lot of us said a couple years back that they would become the norm after they had a horrific introduction back in the Pressler days.

Been very happy with mine so far. Feel bad for people like thermalright and swiftech who missed the boat.

May i ask even thou im going liquid cooling,why would freezer 13 say it provides a cooling capacity of 200W when the 8120 cant be cooled by it and its tdp is 125w stock speeds?

Why is Arctic Silver, junk? I've used it for years with excellent results. I've used it not only in computer applications but also in other diverse applications such as thermal control of diode lasers (0.01 C stability) and even in a sample/target in a Bruker-SAXS (Small angle X-Ray scattering) machine. Arctic silver is certainly not junk!

Dude... a two or three degree difference is definately not worth paying for the silver in the compound. And really that's all the thermal compounds really do offer. I have actually used some of the cheap four dollar gunk on a CNC laser in my highschool robotics lab. It works fine. As long as you have a solid contact and no bubbles in the mixture you can use anything. PS I skimp out a lot on the grease :p It's not worth investing 20 dollars for it, when your heat sink shaves off 40C.

zeroalliance said:
May i ask even thou im going liquid cooling,why would freezer 13 say it provides a cooling capacity of 200W when the 8120 cant be cooled by it and its tdp is 125w stock speeds?

Uhm... that is really irrelevant to how it performs. It can literally mean anything by how the company markets it. Basicly it is saying that in a push pull configuration with some ridiculously high fans at some random ambient you can cool that many watts of heat. Here is the *** kicker... the company can actually warp their information so it seems better then another, and you have no clue what the temps are. This does not even count for the fact of your liquids quality. All radiators pretty much have the same design kept for a few things.

Just get something, they are all pretty decent. Remember you need to keep temps below 60 (although a CPU is more then capable of going past that, especially amds). Hell if you want you can get a 120.1 rad for the CPU only and over clock the SOB to kingdom kom!

Then again, I have never built a water cooling system. But if you are not worried about deltas, then do as you wish!

First time I've ever heard Arctic Silver called junk, it's still one of the best pastes out there, though it does come in second to the high dollar stuff.

That is the thing :p I have only used it once. And realized that thermal compounds barely effect temperatures, and it was more like "As long as you have it" kind of thing. Because well, ya need it. I am the Cave Johnson of computers! I do what I want :D.

It can make a big difference, when comparing MX4 to Arctic Alumina for instance I get a 8c temp difference. That is worthwhile.

I guess if you do extreme overclocking where the processor becomes very temperature-sensitive. But if not, and you are just having a stable overclock with no super extreme cooling, then I really don't see the point for such a silly thing, I don't mind the CPU running 8C hotter if it means I can save 12 bucks.

You also have the issue of tarnishing your CPU and your heat sink/waterblock with silver. That stuff is very reactive for some reason.

I guess if you do extreme overclocking where the processor becomes very temperature-sensitive. But if not, and you are just having a stable overclock with no super extreme cooling, then I really don't see the point for such a silly thing, I don't mind the CPU running 8C hotter if it means I can save 12 bucks.

You also have the issue of tarnishing your CPU and your heat sink/waterblock with silver. That stuff is very reactive for some reason.

Why extreme? 8°C can give you a 200/300 MHz extra. Let's say 10% on a PhII 955, which is well worth $12 IMO.

EDIT: we are on "overclockers.com", aren't we?

Also, a tube of enough Artic Silver 5 to apply to over 300 CPU's costs about $4. Big effing deal when you're spending $100+ on a cooling solution.

:facepalm:

I heard that Afly. I don't like the compounds that are capacitive anymore since there are good non electrical conductive out there. But I surely don't mind spending a buck 5.98 for a better compound after throwing a ton at a cooler.

I've been using Artic Silver for going on ten years now and I've never had it tarnish a CPU or a Heat sink/Water block. What are your references for this ?

I heard that Afly. I don't like the compounds that are capacitive anymore since there are good non electrical conductive out there. But I surely don't mind spending a buck 5.98 for a better compound after throwing a ton at a cooler.

I plan to pick up some MX-4 the next time I buy some fans or whatever. For the moment I'm using the Chill Factor III I received with this HR-02 and I like it more than AS5. It's easier to spread and tested slightly better on skineelabs (like 1C, so not much really). I probably wouldn't have purchased it separately.

The MX-4 is because I need something non-capacitive for GPU heatsinks, and my stockpile of Ceramique's gotten a bit long in the tooth.

Last edited:
Just picked up an FX8120 and noticed Temp reporting is a bit off on some programs ....... what ahve others found to work best with the FX series for temp s. Looking like Hardware Monitor is the best from the ones I have tried which is showing idle at 26*C while core temp is showing 11*C AMD Overdrive is kinda messed up as well showing temps at 8*C.

AOD is working good for me and temps are almost the same as in HM. Core Temp isn't working and I have there temps like you said for AOD ~8-10*C and not much higher under load.
About paste, I'm using Zalman STG2 that is as good as MX4 ( since I used all MX4 I wanted to check something else ). Temps under load are about 1-2*C better than AS5 and up to 3*C on GTX470 after some oc.

Why extreme? 8°C can give you a 200/300 MHz extra. Let's say 10% on a PhII 955, which is well worth $12 IMO.

EDIT: we are on "overclockers.com", aren't we?

Yes my good friend, but lets just say I am the broke Overclocker. I really would like to avoid unneeded cost.

Also, where did you guys get Artic Silver 5 for around 6 dollars that can cool 600 cpus? If I am not mistaking, the Silver in the content would drive the price way up, so that's really not possible I think. Yes there is silver in the stuff. Thats what gave it it's special powers.

To the person who used it for ten years. I am using primary knowledge, and reviewer information. It's more then enough to say that there is a problem, and not someone who just hates the product. Also, depending on your location, certain things in the air will react slowly with silver when heated.

I am broke as well lol!
My first wc loop cost me $70: Honda Transalp rads (thay was sitting in some dark closet)+aquarium pump+WB...
But one tube of good TIM costs about 5/6 bucks and will last for at least 20/30 cpu's, 20 cents each...

A 2.5g tube will net you $4.98 at a local Fry's -- usually $2 more than the cheapy white paste. Also, AS5 has a 200 hour curing time, which means you won't see its true thermal impedence until then. Same day reapplication of another TIM may net same day performance benefits (of 1-3C). AS5 is enthusiast performance, but, we are on OC.com are we not? I'd also like to mention that I've used the same tube since 1996, on more than a dozen processors/GPU's (not including friends or family systems I've built), it does not harden or go bad with age and cleans off exceptionally well when using their two part cleaning solution. But don't take my word for it.

Back