• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What risk am I taking using this PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im pretty sure nobody trust psu's that come with the case ..especially a 69 dollar one .. the value of the psu probably lands in the 25 dollar range .. not something id want to rely on ... how much do you have for a psu ?

http://www.apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=X-Master-BK/500#

i've read a review for one apevia psu and looked at some pictures, it seems they like to copy the look of cosairs, either that or everyone has that look.

well I think we are past everyone having that look, the one I saw had the same push style molex connectors and the sleeved cables look exactly the same. (including the honey comb style grill in the back, switch+cord placement+ main fan+fan grill)

I think the review was for some 650 watt version and it had voltages dropping a bit but still above 12 5 and 3.3

beyond this I have no clue and wouldn't trust it for good stuff. I don't think circuitry was reviewed much. maybe you should look for a review that analyzes the circuitry of one of their models to get an idea.

i'm no expert but main things to look for are just overcurrent protection actually working (single rail power supplies don't kick in until the rail is almost maxed out so a failure eventually might be a bad one which is many years down the road if the components are good quality), efficiency, ripple voltage/current, voltages not being out of spec, sustaining continuous rated output without shutting down, quality components(japanese solid state capacitors rated for high temperatures is wishful thinking) and some type of overvolting circuitry is better than none.

i'm pretty sure a htpc won't be drawing more than 200 watts on the 12v so if the rest of the components are decent in a psu then it should be fine for these purposes.

Last edited:
After rebates: Enermax Eco80+ 500. Overkill but in budget. :)

Very good deal on a proven performer. Enermax PSU's have always been great PSU's. At least in my experience. I would trust any rig to an Enermax PSU any day. I have never seen a bad review on one.

If this post seems a little like I'm rambling, it's because I've had quite a bit to drink tonight.:p

i've read a review for one apevia psu

Read this review on an Apevia 500W.

On the performance side of the load testing, the Apevia was a wreck. Neither unit would power up with any load greater than the Test #3 numbers which may be a good thing as the units were melting during Test #3. With only a 50% load the unit violated the ATX specification for output voltages, and during the 75% test the units 12v rails dropped as low as 11.08v. Output voltages at this level would most likely result in unstable systems if the systems would boot at all. To make matters worse the units efficiency was never good only peaking at 72.59% (50% load at 120v) while dropping as low as 65.37% (75% load at 100v).

Note that test #3 was only 353W... this PSU claims 500W.

Ultra LS series... pass on it. It would be better than the Apevia, but not by much.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm definitely going to scrap the PSU. I really want that Enermax now but not sure I can afford to sit on a $50 rebate for 6-8 weeks and would blow a gasket if it didn't end up coming. I've got books to buy for my last semester of school!

Very good deal on a proven performer. Enermax PSU's have always been great PSU's. At least in my experience. I would trust any rig to an Enermax PSU any day. I have never seen a bad review on one.

If this post seems a little like I'm rambling, it's because I've had quite a bit to drink tonight.:p
I thought the only good ones were their Liberty series and the high powered ones and the others were frankly crap?

I thought the only good ones were their Liberty series and the high powered ones and the others were frankly crap?

ED,

I have never seen a poor rating for Enermax either, some are better than others so you have to pick and choose reviews. OW is pretty tough with his reviews but never has failed one and all the others pass with a few minor caveats on occasion.

ED knows something. :)
Sometimes in the past Liberty series was plagued by a stupid glue which dramatically shorten life of some PSU's. :D
Or some classic bulging caps.
Fortunately starting with Pro/Modu82 and up Enermax in back on track and they're aiming high.

Just to add a little something here:

I built my best friend's rig using an Enermax unit and it's been going strong now for well over 2 years. He's not a big overclocker, but I will say he "abuses" his PC by constantly unplugging it while its running to move it around (he likes to re-arrange a lot). Hes running two 8800GTX's as well, so for it to hold up with his constant unplugging really impresses me. Just my $0.02.

The ability for a PSU to turn off and on does or to unplug and plug in not make for a good PSU...Apevia does that and so does Rosewill.

With apevia, they have not been consistent with designs. One of them would perform totally well with long term durability in question(a review of heatsink/exhaust temperatures and components would satisfy this curiosity), while the one that zap posted sounds like utter failure or a bad unit. (read a bit more, the rma replacement would melt and this is retail so it's a bad design)

exhaust temp, sometimes you add room temperature to exhaust and you get close to the temp that the heat sinks are trying to cool off. or sometimes you double the exhaust temp and you get close. So for a psu outputting 50°c exhaust air, I'd be weary of what capacitors it uses for long term durability. edit (in this case the chalk securing the components melts in the apevia @ certain loads and temperatures)

(I didn't read the full review, just those parts. There's not much to look at if the unit fails to deliver past 75% of it's capacity but in the previous pages to that review, it notes that it's housed in a plastic case and rated to operate at 40°c, that is unusual, the apevia unit I remember reading about also had neon lights or something. This might be trend, plastic clear cases with funky colors, see though case with neon lights.)

btw there is a corsair rep on the forums and a thread about corsair mail in rebates.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620807

you receive a debit card from citi, and depending on how you use it you could end up with charges if you don't use up your balance after 6 months. you have to treat mir like they don't exist. one of our members got a wrong card that said something about a max limit of 1500. prepaid debit cards shouldn't have limits.

btw off topic I just noticed how tomshardware and hardforums/hardocp works.

there's a forum and they have some decent reviews (I know there are some benefits to reviewers. You get sent engineering samples for reviews and all that fun stuff) This is for advertisement purposes and publicity, could really help a product especially if reviewed by a respectable member.

Are we trying to get those benefits? is ocforums growing up? I'm still a pretty new member so I don't know all the ins and outs.

Last edited:
Read this review on an Apevia 500W.

Note that test #3 was only 353W... this PSU claims 500W.

That 500W isn't even the same model or made by the same OEM manufacturer. The one reviewed was a piece of crap youngyear. The one in that X-Master or whatever the OP linked to I believe is a low end Wintech.

I'm sure it's not a real 500W either, but you shouldn't post reviews of a different unit just to justify an opinion of another.

Got all of my components except the PSU last night. Was soooo tempted to fire her up with the included PSU but in the end decided to wait until Monday when the Corsair one arrives. The Apevia PSU is a model: WIN-500XSPX if anyone would like to know. Going to take a look at reviews here soon.

The reason I don't trust case provided PSUs is because of what a PSU can screw up. if your motherboard dies, while it sucks then you can just replace the mobo. If the PSU dies it may fry any other / all other components in your system when it goes.

Back