• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABS M1, 19.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

ABS M1, is a lowcost slightly lower end mechanical keyboard. Per Manyak on overclock.net:

Manyak said:
ABS M1
23-224-001-16.jpg

If you're looking for a bang-for-your-buck keyboard for gaming, look no further. The key feel isn't the greatest, but you won't find a better mechanical board for gaming at this price. But if typing feel is important and you are unsure about how all these different switches feel, just skip this board and read on.

Link: Newegg
Price: $44
Switch Type: Black Alps Copies
Key feel: Moderate
Tactile feel: Light Tactile Feedback
Noise: Clacky when bottoming out keys, but not too loud
Rollover: 6-key + modifiers, but rumors say it's not implemented well
Key Delay: Untested
Key travel: Unknown
Key Shape: Sculpted
Typing: 7/10
There's not much to say about this keyboard when it comes to typing. It's just a basic board and doesn't stand out in any area.
Gaming: 9/10
There's only one reason it doesn't get a full score, which is because it's not full NKRO.

The keyboard rates very well against the competition on his thread, here. I hope my blatant copy-pasta sufficiently puts credit where credit is due.

• It is for sale on newegg for 19.99
  • Use Coupon Code EMCYRZT43
  • Free Shipping
CLICKY!

This is the first time I've actually read up on keyboards... I think I'll order this and sell off my G15.

20$ for a mechy is unheard of and way too hard for mere mortals to pass up.

I was actually going to order it earlier, but questioned it cause I simply love Logitech. Great quality, and I hear they have great customer service too. Never had any issues with either G15 I've owned, and the "not implemented well rollover" made me question things a bit. For $20 I think it'll be worth checking out.

It's been a long time since I've ordered anything from Newegg. I usually avoid them due to taxes and shipping, but $2 isn't a big deal especially when I can probably sell my G15 for around $50 or so.

WTF. I just bought one for $40 in the other thread. Dammit.

Oh well. I have one and love it. I use it over my G15 now. Only thing I miss are the keys to skip tracks and volume control. That's about it.

Oh well. I have one and love it. I use it over my G15 now. Only thing I miss are the keys to skip tracks and volume control. That's about it.

Chiefvalue and Newegg are the same company. Maybe see if you can get a price match since you purchased it only 2 weeks ago?

What is better about it , over g15 ?I use g15 and it is good and like you sad am kinda accustomed to the media control buttons:D

What is better about it , over g15 ?I use g15 and it is good and like you sad am kinda accustomed to the media control buttons:D

I can't really explain it other than the way the keys feel.

The G15 is like mushy this one has an unquestionable *click* that you feel while typing.

Exactly. It's for elitest PC snobs. If you like tubes, I'll bet you'll like mechanical key switches. :)

I actually have an old M keyboard, that I've since put away in favor of my Logitech Wave keyboard. The media keys and shortcut keys, not to mention the feel of the keys, and pattern that help me avoid hand fatigue and pain, way outweigh the feel of the old mechanical keyboard.

Just my 2 cents on old tech vs new.

Just my 2 cents on old tech vs new.

The feel of the keys has absolutely nothing to do with "old tech vs. new." Not all mechanical keyboards are created equal... not even close... and the Model M has one of the heavier key weights of them all.

I'm still debating whether or not to pick up one of those ABSs. The price is hard to pass up, but OTOH I understand it to be functionally pretty similar to the Dell AT101, and I already have two of those...

The feel of the keys has absolutely nothing to do with "old tech vs. new." Not all mechanical keyboards are created equal... not even close... and the Model M has one of the heavier key weights of them all.

I'm still debating whether or not to pick up one of those ABSs. The price is hard to pass up, but OTOH I understand it to be functionally pretty similar to the Dell AT101, and I already have two of those...

I picked one up so that it could be my girlfriend's primary keyboard for her gaming rig, that way she can use the wireless for work, and set it aside when she's not on the job. Should actually reduce desk clutter.

:bday:

I decided to take a pass on the thing after reading a bit more about it over on Geekhack. It seems that the key rollover specs are a bit overstated, and the controller has some issues with input lag. (Not to mention the fact that it's USB-only, which would be a pain for me... I really need a PS/2 capable board.)

While I'm sure it'd be fine for most people, and it would certainly still be a major upgrade from the average cheapo rubber-dome unit, for me it seems it'd be a step down from the keyboards I already have. I guess that's kinda to be expected for $20.

I picked one up so that it could be my girlfriend's primary keyboard for her gaming rig, that way she can use the wireless for work, and set it aside when she's not on the job. Should actually reduce desk clutter.

:bday:
If you have software installed for the wireless,many of the function keys may not work in games or have to be set in the game options. At least that is what happened to me on my MS wireless. I love my old packard Bell mechanicl because i don't mis type like the MS but it doesn't work in games because of the MS software. Caps lock, ctrl, alt don't work on my mechanical.

If you have software installed for the wireless,many of the function keys may not work in games or have to be set in the game options. At least that is what happened to me on my MS wireless. I love my old packard Bell mechanicl because i don't mis type like the MS but it doesn't work in games because of the MS software. Caps lock, ctrl, alt don't work on my mechanical.

Yeah, that's why the ABS will be on her gaming PC, and the wireless on her work PC. the abs will always be in use. The wireless only during work hours which should let her move it off the desk when not needed.

:chair:

If you've ever been on the fence and don't already have a spare keyboard for emergency situations (egads... maybe I am a nerd), at $20 for a decent quality mech keyboard you really ought to give it a plunge. I regularly use both types (mech at home, rubber @ work), and there is most defintitely a tactile difference you can't help but notice. It is almost impossible to put into words, but I would easily pay a premium in the future if I had to replace my home mech keyboard to get another. (it's an enermax aurora).

The aurora isn't mechanical, it's scissor switch. Perhaps a higher quality unit, but still not "mechanical". Buy an M1 and you'll understand. :)

Back