• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 580 Lightning in Sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dip switches? Is that a Nvidia Term that i'm unaware of? I have a little switch on top of my card labled "LN2" but AKAIK that just opens up the voltages.

My Antex 1200 case does pretty decent blowing air between the cards, at it's peak i'm looking at a 4c difference.

Top card: 72c
Bottom Card: 68c

While peaked at 99% on both during Unigen loops. I can live with the temps, just seems like a large gap considering the space between them, but at the same time i'm not used to the sides of the cards being open, everything else i've owned has been reference designs blowing out the back.

Newegg won't make the refund without taking a $90+ restocking fee, **** them, i vowed never to do business with them again anyway, newegg can kiss my white furry ***

its not there fault dude, there just covering there own ***, just because you couldnt get the card to work in SLI means that newegg has to sell the card as an open box item for a considerable amount less probably $ 100.00 less then if it were brand new in a sealed unopened box, and by the picture you posted of the cards in SLI you had it setup wrong to begin with, you only needed to use one SLI bridge.......i had my doughts about SLI until I tried it and it works flawlessly, so dont blame the seller of the item for something that you were more then likely doing wrong

Oh it works, just not up to his standards. So yeah... being mad at newegg for their policy and trying to return a perfectly good card on the premise of buyers remorse is a little whacky.

Newegg won't make the refund without taking a $90+ restocking fee, **** them, i vowed never to do business with them again anyway, newegg can kiss my white furry ***

That's about normal for almost all retailers to have a 20% restocking fee, don't blame newegg for not accepting back a perfectly working card at their loss because you play games that weren't optimized for SLI or if they were, not up to your liking.

Games that are not optimized for SLI may be "tuned" to run SLI and force in game settings. These settings may be forced to run by tweaking NVCP as seen in pic, of course each game is different. Wholething.png

Also the DIP switches I was referring to are on the back of the Lightnings, these DIP switches on the board may be used for non-software control of the card. Such as, the OCP that Unlocks over current protection, unlocked GPU and MEM voltage switches also, and they do work.
imageview.php

I hope you make use of your cards, because when running properly they ROCK. :) TJ

FYI, If your playing Aion then you need to force AFR2 in the nvidia control panel
Aion doesnt have an .exe file so it doesnt auto profile it, its Aion.bin and it unrecognized by the SLI profiler.

FYI, If your playing Aion then you need to force AFR2 in the nvidia control panel
Aion doesnt have an .exe file so it doesnt auto profile it, its Aion.bin and it unrecognized by the SLI profiler.

That could be why, it does use the GPUs 70-90% and alot of the time it'll ping 99% solid, but it does bounce around alot and the frame rate is awful.

With that said, what is AFR2? Anisotropic Filtering x2?

Alternate Frame Rendering.

Thanks Dog, i set it to Alternate Frame Rendering 2, going to give it a try on all the games iv'e had issues with and report back.

Well, i set it to AFR2 and it was unplayable, while it was showing 55-60fps it was dipping and jumping really badly down to 12-15fps, there is no way i can play it like that, GTA IV did the same thing, turning my camera left and right made me lag real bad until it rendered the scene.

Tried AFR1 and got 10fps lol, it's better with Nvidia recommended, whatever that is, the frame rate are below 50fps on both of those games but at least it doesn't dip.

Last edited:
Hey Kohta, The pic I posted of my MSI GTX 580 Lightnings has two SLI Bridges, I run both when the all Dip switches are on, although you only need one in enable SLI. If you can mount a High CFM fan at the end of your cards your temps will drop 5c-10c. When I was running 3 Way SLI I mounted the fan at the end of my cards (se pic) Works great. TJ

<snip picture>

The inside of that case looks like Las Vegas! :D

Back