• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you have more than one PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

I could understand having a cheap laptop (or portable PC for LAN parties), a server and a powerful desktop, but I've seen people with multiple desktops. What are the advantages of having multiple desktop PC's other than the ability to have multiple users on at once?

Well I upgrade soo darn much that after about a year I have enough of my old parts left over to build another computer. I use one of them to fold 24/7 for team 32, while the other 2 I lent to both my best friend and my g/f as they were both in need of a decent gaming rig.

Heh, folding of course :) Also, I thought it would be fun to have a dually for video editing. I really don't need a bunch of computers, but I run *nix on one, edit video on one, game on one, type/school on one, and if one goes down, I never have a problem.

I have my main machine that I use for regular stuff then I also have my HTPC in the living room. Although my desktop could do it, I have a laptop hooked up to the TV in my room to watch movies while I do work on the desktop.

~THT

OSUmaxx said:
Heh, folding of course :) Also, I thought it would be fun to have a dually for video editing. I really don't need a bunch of computers, but I run *nix on one, edit video on one, game on one, type/school on one, and if one goes down, I never have a problem.

That makes sense, but why don't you use the dually for both gaming and video editing?

jhl3 said:
Seti and folding! Ask not why.

Do you mean you have one for SETI and one for folding or a few PCs for more power? If you have a few for more power, would it be more efficient to have one with like ten processors?

Stupid Boy said:
Do you mean you have one for SETI and one for folding or a few PCs for more power? If you have a few for more power, would it be more efficient to have one with like ten processors?

Well, most of the people around here that have multiple computers really had a bunch of old parts they put together into computers. Besides, do YOU know where to buy a mobo that accepts Pentiums IVs, AthlonXPs, Athlon64s, Durons, Celerons, Pentiums IIIs Slot 1s, Pentium III Socket 370s, Pentium IIs, 486s, Cyrix C3s, etc all at the same time? And don't even get me going about the cooling issues...

Stupid Boy said:

That makes sense, but why don't you use the dually for both gaming and video editing?

I like to be able to encode with both processors and leave it. Plus its an old MSI K7D master, and my gaming rig is a fast OC'd 2500+... the single is much better for gaming.

I have one computer, my sister has one, and my dad has one.

I don't let anyone touch mine b/c the last thing I need is my sister installing some spyware or something so she can play a website game. My dad insists on having his own which he uses for just surfing and word processing.

Mr.Radar said:
Besides, do YOU know where to buy a mobo that accepts Pentiums IVs, AthlonXPs, Athlon64s, Durons, Celerons, Pentiums IIIs Slot 1s, Pentium III Socket 370s, Pentium IIs, 486s, Cyrix C3s, etc all at the same time?

Obviously this guy has never heard of "duct tape"....:p

Hehe....I have my main computer, then a old crapper with a TV tuner that serves as our houses mp3 stereo and secondary TV...other than that I couldn't imagine having another computer cept for a lappy

Mr.Radar said:

Well, most of the people around here that have multiple computers really had a bunch of old parts they put together into computers. Besides, do YOU know where to buy a mobo that accepts Pentiums IVs, AthlonXPs, Athlon64s, Durons, Celerons, Pentiums IIIs Slot 1s, Pentium III Socket 370s, Pentium IIs, 486s, Cyrix C3s, etc all at the same time? And don't even get me going about the cooling issues...

Or how much even a decent quad board is. 4+ Processor boards skyrocket in price very quickly. The PPro systems still sell for $1000+.

I use my laptop for gaming, and my 800 athlon as a tv. I also use the 800 to go on AIM while i play games(no more alt-tabbing:D )

render farm, all pcs render constantly and fold for that matter, plu some have practicle uses, like being a media center pc (not that windows xp junk), or my cookbook in the kitchen.

It eminates not from a desire to have "more" computers, you just don't notice that they build up around you as you keep going. You do a little here and a little there, and suddenly you find yourself surrounded by not only computers but also spare parts. Plus more computers= bigger F@H score;)

+ main machine for graphics and games
+ secondary machine(laptop) for MP3 stereo/file serving and remote multimedia demonstrations
+ third machine for "other users" so they can leave me alone when I'm working
+ all three for 3D network rendering

I should have broadband soon. At which point all my machines will be folding 24/7 (again).
Even when I do have enough spare parts to build another machine I prefer to just sell them off. Partly because I like invest in the machines I have, but primarily because I'm not the one paying the mothly electrical bill.

1 router
1 for mom and dad
1 for sis
1 for for portable video/music playing
1 for me....

but i only really use mine (plus the router)
but they are all scrap parts computer minus my protable

Back