• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 OC questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shua

I'm working at OC'ing my E8400 and cant seem to get past 3.6. what would be a recommended Vcore voltage? Any insight would be great.

*EDIT*

I just saw in my BIOS the CPU fine clock ratio. It allows me to up my clock from 9.0 to 9.5. Does this really do anything? In cpuz it still shows as 9.0.

Last edited:
What are the specs of your computer and what clocks/voltage have you tried thus far?

The E8400 has a multi of 9x, you will not be able to move it any higher than that. Only the Extreme Edition CPUs have the upward unlocked multi.

I know that the extremes have an unlocked multi but the E8400 as the ability to have a 9.5 multi. As far as i know that. Right now my FSB is at 400 and a Vcore of 1.23 or 1.24. My specs are a GA-EP35-DS3L with 2gigs of G. Skill and a Thermalright TRUE 120 extreme with 2 88CFM Yate Loon fans running in push pull.

Your E8400 can't do 9.5, even if you set it to 9.5 in your BIOS (which theoretically you shouldn't be able to do anyways). The E8500 has a 9.5 multiplier.

As for your vcore, I'd try around 1.35V (set in BIOS... actual value seems to be lower than that)... that gets me to 4 without any trouble.

Make sure your RAM can run at the frequency/timings you're trying to run at, and you might need to bump up the MCH (Northbridge) voltage a bit.

Great. I'll see what that does and then get back to you guys.

*EDIT*

Gregory, I just tried you setup and got nothing. I bumped my Vcore to 1.35. I tried to set my Northbridge voltage but all I could find was a setting that would let me overvolt it in increments of 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 volts. nothing in my BIOS that would let me actually set the voltage. It seems as though I'm stuck at 3.6

Last edited:
Bump up the northbridge voltage then.

What are your system specs? Mainly, what's your mobo/memory and PSU?

So I think that I'll bump it up to the 0.3 overvolt. my mobo is a GA-EP35-DS3L. My RAM is 800MhHz G. Skill and my PSU is a 585 watt ORION. Would it help to lower my clock multi to 8?

No, keep your multiplier at 9.

Try running your memory at a divider if it's running 1:1. Your memory might not be able to go higher than 400.

Also, I wouldn't go above +0.2 on the northbridge... it shouldn't need that much, just a little bump.

Back