• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Windows Home Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I have a problem. I purchased Windows Home Server(WHS) and installed it on my desktop and put it in the closet as a server. Believe it or not this thing is working beautifully for simply dragging my important files over the network to the server. No monitor or anything else needed. There's one HUGE problem though. I'm unable to use most of the server. I can't stream and play any of my media to my PCs using the programs on the server because of my router.

I have the ATT DSL service that uses the 2wire 3800 router. This thing makes it very difficult to use programs with the internet. It completely blocks the WHS from working properly. You're supposed to be able to access it via the internet so that you can place files, show people pics, stream media, etc. on but it won't let me. I've gone in and manually opened the ports required. I've put it in DMZplus mode. None of these work. The server still can't manage to work properly.

I'm on the road and will try that when I get home but I have a hard time believing that the Windows Home Server would put a firewall up that directly blocks you from using it as a server over the internet. That's like buying tires with free holes in them.

I checked and all the ports I opened are showing open. However I'm told that ATT purposely blocks certain things from working. Any idea how to get around this. It's complete BS when they decide what I should do with the bandwidth I pay for.

the easy way around that is to use a port that is uncommon
for instance, forward outside port 30035 to inside port 80 on the WHS (i dont know what ports WHS uses, but my guess is that is one of them.

the easy way around that is to use a port that is uncommon
for instance, forward outside port 30035 to inside port 80 on the WHS (i dont know what ports WHS uses, but my guess is that is one of them.

I've never heard of such a thing. How do you do that?

have you tried to use the setup in WHS console to let it try to config your router by itself? 'cos if it's the router problem, it usually could config itself given your router is UPNP compatible.

have you tried to use the setup in WHS console to let it try to config your router by itself? 'cos if it's the router problem, it usually could config itself given your router is UPNP compatible.
The ATT Uverse 3800 router is not UPNP compatible. I've been searching more and have seen where some have used two routers. They plug their wireless into the Uverse then they open up the uverse to that one router somehow. I'm not very skilled in this.

Back