• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding@Home License Agreement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
Just thought you all might want to have this out there. This is the license agreement to use F@H, and I think it would be a good thing to possibly add to Dark_15's uber-sticky:

F@H License Agreement:

Please carefully read the following terms and conditions
before using this software. Use of this software indicates
acceptance of this license agreement and disclaimer of all
warranties.

Disclaimer of Warranty:

IN NO EVENT SHALL STANFORD UNIVERSITY BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR DIRECT,
INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES,
INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE
AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF STANFORD UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

STANFORD UNIVERSITY SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
BUT NOTLIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE AND
ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS PROVIDED
"AS IS". Folding@home HAS NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE MAINTENANCE,
SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

Restrictions:

You may use this software on a computer system only if you
own the system or have the permission of the owner.

You may not alter the software or associated data files.

You may only use unmodified versions of Folding@home obtained
through authorized distributors to connect to the Folding@Home
servers. Use of other software to connect to the Folding@home
servers is strictly prohibited.

Distribution of this software is prohibited. It may only be
obtained by downloading from Stanford's web site
(http://folding.stanford.edu and pages linked therein).

**edit**
this license agreement is why you'll find that Linux Distros that are designed to fold, Like Overclockix, don't really have F@H installed in them. They just have a script that automatically downloads the F@H program for you so that it keeps within the User License Agreement.

This also means that slipstreaming F@H into a Windows Installation CD is likely not a good idea, and on the edge of what is allowed with the License Agreement.

Last edited:
the key is it can not be distributed, if you are putting it into a windows install for your personal use to save you time when you need to reinstall windows, its not a big deal

again, i'm not the best with the law Dice... if it is personal use, no distrobution, i see no problem with it. It really hits home to the linux guys like Arkaine who have to deal with this.

dicecca112 said:
the key is it can not be distributed, if you are putting it into a windows install for your personal use to save you time when you need to reinstall windows, its not a big deal

again, nothing against you doing it for personal use. Just a general warning to everyone. Don't slipstream F@H into windows and then install it on friend's family's computers for them when they need an install/reinstall! That is against the agreement, and a good way to put negative publicity for F@H if they find out about it.

Again, doing it for self is good. Doin' it to spread folding on others without thier permission? Very wrong.

again Dice... i apologize if it seems i was coming down on you personally.

Excellent point. This is why I changed the One-Click to automatically download the the necessary files from Stanford. Tough when lawyers get all involved in a voluntary action, yay us. :D

Back