• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do All Modular PSU's Have SOME Hardwirde Cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweefu

Hi all,
i am looking for a new psu for myself, something around the 750w and as i've been looking it seems that most modular psu's have some hard wired cables?

Is this just ones i've looked at or do most generallly have some?

Cheers.

I don't know for sure but I think most will come with the main ATX and 12vATX (4 or 8pin) wires hardwired. Most will also come with a PCI-E connector hardwired.

ah okay. seems its not uncommon then, usually the ones i'm looking at have the atx, pci-express and a sata cable

That is because most systems will need those cables, so no need to make them modular if you will have to plug them in anyways.

I think some Silverstones and Ultras are fully modular.

That is because most systems will need those cables, so no need to make them modular if you will have to plug them in anyways.

I think some Silverstones and Ultras are fully modular.

Yep. I just helped a friend upgrade his PSU to a Silverstone 1000W modular PSU and all the cables were removable. Including the 24pin ATX main power cable.

There are several models completely modular, though most have the 24 pin and 8 pin hard. I have never seen PCIe hard wired though. Usually thats a standalone cable on modular PSUs

There are several models completely modular, though most have the 24 pin and 8 pin hard. I have never seen PCIe hard wired though. Usually thats a standalone cable on modular PSUs

Nope. HX850. First 2 PCIE are hardwired. The thing hardly qualifies as modular IMO because if you aren't using molex and you're on 1 video card the only 'modular' thing you're plugging into it is the SATA power. :shrug:

My Antec 1000w has 2 hard wired PCIe cable, both 6+2 which is fine for 1 high end video card or 2 low/mid video cards. The PSU also came with 2 detachable 6 pins PCIe cable for handing 2 high end video cards or 4 lower end video cards.

All of the modular PSU I had always had hardwired 20+4 or 24 pins connector and 4/8 pins CPU power connector. It does make sense those 2 aren't removable as they are normally used. One of them the 4/8 connector could be pulled apart like ribbon cable which made possible to tuck the unneeded +4 end between the PSU and the back panel.

Nope. HX850. First 2 PCIE are hardwired. The thing hardly qualifies as modular IMO because if you aren't using molex and you're on 1 video card the only 'modular' thing you're plugging into it is the SATA power. :shrug:

Yeah that was my biggest frustration with this psu. Fortunately I'm using both pcie :)

Wow, HX850 really does have PCIe thats hardwired. Wierd as my HX750 only has 24pin and 8pin hardwired (which you NEED anyways). I mean I guess they figure if you are buying an 850w PSU youll need the power for graphics cards so I dont really see it as a huge downside honestly. If you purchase an 850w PSU and you arent using PCIe, you probably wasted $80 on a PSU you really dont need.

Wow, HX850 really does have PCIe thats hardwired. Wierd as my HX750 only has 24pin and 8pin hardwired (which you NEED anyways). I mean I guess they figure if you are buying an 850w PSU youll need the power for graphics cards so I dont really see it as a huge downside honestly. If you purchase an 850w PSU and you arent using PCIe, you probably wasted $80 on a PSU you really dont need.

I wasted that $80 :chair: but then I wasted a lot more on a 6950... so I guess that makes up for it.

Yeah but with your system, its not really a waste. You could at anytime add another card and need that power. Its not like you are using that PSU w/ a base card or on-die graphics lol.

Back