• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

august challenge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
If anyone has an idea for an august competition and wants to organize and run it, let me know. I have been really busy the last couple weeks and it looks like august will be worse. I believe that the marathon will start again in September, so this will be a good chance for someone to jump in and try something new.

Unless I come up with a good idea myself I would definitly like volunteer to help at least if someone has ideas but no time :)
I'm a bit loaded with exams the next days, I might come up with something anyway.

This doesn't necessarily have to be a hwbot benchmark. Could be geekbench or anything else. If you are willing to organize and keep track of results then post up your ideas or pm me. It is only for fun- no need to be complex or complicated.

How about something directly related to hwbot? A points race. Simply first to 100 pts wins, or most points in the 30 day alotment. Doesn't disqualify anyone from participating as the more obscure hardware can even get points. Will get everyone scrambling and gets points for the team.No needs to handicap anyone. Just an idea.

Would help people to learn ALL the benchmarks since it is so open. And I believe it does really level the playing field quite a bit.

That's a good idea, I support it.

And, I have new (to me) hardware to bench still! :D

How do you work out the "new" points from the old ones with a few extra added on, lets say I already have a super pi score worth 10 points then during the comp I do better than that previous submission and score 12 points, but in reality I have only made 2 new points? Its a great idea amd if we can work out a way to police the scoring then it will be awesome.

What if it was just anyone that participates has to post a screenshot of their HWBot at the beginning of the month/before they make a submission/participate?

What if it was just anyone that participates has to post a screenshot of their HWBot at the beginning of the month/before they make a submission/participate?

Awesome :thup: I hadn't even thought about a screenshot of there profile.....are we talking TPP, HWP, league points ? Either way, I'm in

Instead of going for points in that way, you post a link to your submissions during the month, and give the point value for everything combined.

Example:

www.hwbot.org/chance_submission_1

ChanceCoats123|benchmark|hardware|points

And then each user keeps a running total for the month, like:

ChanceCoats123 monthly total: 1,000,000

:chair:

Instead of going for points in that way, you post a link to your submissions during the month, and give the point value for everything combined.

Example:

So this would be atminside|Cinebench 11.5|1100T|15.5

Correct?

Exactly, but with a link to the submission, and your running total of the month.

So if you submitted cinebench and wprime, you would use the format, link the submissions and put your running total, which is both scores added together.

In the case of a double submission, say you submitted a score and then beat it a few days later, simply subtract the previous score from your monthly total and add the new score.

And I actually just had a new idea... The submission format could be this:

Username| benchmark| hardware| submission score| submission points on hwbot

I definitely copied the URL then forgot to paste it in lol.

Better idea Chance, Username|Benchmark|Hardware|Score|Total

Where Score is the points for that submission. Total is each one added up to that point.

So I would end up with:
atminside|Cinebench 11.5|1100T|15.5|15.5
atminside|Cinebench 11.5|1100T|15.5|31.0
atminside|Cinebench 11.5|1100T|15.5|46.5

Example:

I don't think that would work, as someone who runs 1 benchmark worth 1 extra point than there previous submission but that sub is worth 100 points in total, then that participant has a huge advantage over the guy making 20 subs worth 90 new points yet he is still losing to the guy who only made 1 new point to his total bot account.

Any points that add to a user's total points "user points" add to the team ranking. There is a power point ranking and a user point ranking, IIRC.

This seems like a pretty fair competition because:

-no hardware or cooling would be preferred as a way to win, so no hardware or cooling is discriminated against.
-the raw number of points that end up being earned will greatly benefit the team overall standing
-New members can be competitive with long time benchers because it's a combination of skill and hardware available instead of a skill and cooling competition.
-all benchmarks which earn points are fair game, so new members (and old members) can get a taste of each kind of benchmark.

I don't think that would work, as someone who runs 1 benchmark worth 1 extra point than there previous submission but that sub is worth 100 points in total, then that participant has a huge advantage over the guy making 20 subs worth 90 new points yet he is still losing to the guy who only made 1 new point to his total bot account.

Keny, the big thing here is that it gives new guys a chance to step in and win the monthly challenge, and get them addicted to benching :thup:

Back