• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon HD 9000 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Remember the last time AMD tried to do the 512bit memory bus?.. *cough* 2900XT. It skyrocketed the price of the product and provided no increase in performance.

The GTX780 is a GK110 not a GK114. AMD isn't going to mess that up.

Also, comparison clock/clock and comparing clock speeds is completely useless and shows a certain.... stupidity. As does comparing shader counts, ROP counts, and all other internal chip counts.
Anybody remember 5870 vs GTX580? The 5870 had (tons) more shaders, (much) higher clock, and got killed by the 580.
Those counts are only relevant when comparing to other chips that use the same shaders and ROPs and such.
Similarly, compare a GTX580 to a GTX680, the 580 has a wider memory bus and looses anyway.
Those comparisons are invalid, and those sheets are full of it.

So, you're on the fence on this one? :rofl:

When it comes out, it'll be good. Those slides didn't come from a trustworthy source though, that's a pump if I ever saw one.

He probably means the microstutter fixing drivers that came out today. Personally I think its still a bit early to sing praise to amd, but it was a step in the right direction. Now they need to iron out the details like how it doesn't work in eyefinity/dx9. None the less, after today the vast majority of crossfire users can forget about microstutter the same way sli users did after Kepler was released.

Great.. they were released... was there any testing done on them that shows it helped? What have users said that had the problems?

Great.. they were released... was there any testing done on them that shows it helped? What have users said that had the problems?

Reviews are out, people are using them...they work, almost as good as nvidia's hardware frame metering, to the point where you will never notice the difference 95% of the time.

I love how it wasn't a broken product when both companies had the problem but after nvidia fixes it and pushes a tool to show it in the worst possible light then its a broken product.

Crossfire wasn't broken before today, it had a small problem that most people didn't see on some games. And a very vocal minority of people like yourself who run nvidia cards coming to the ati/amd threads to talk about how awful they are.

I don't know if you follow my other threads but a month ago returned 2 7970s because the issues I was having were unbearable. Not coming here to just talk, I was wondering if they finally fixed it!

Also, newer cards will probably incorporate hardware frame metering anyway...

I was reading other reviews, and some folks were saying it isn't really a frame metering but instead, some kind of frame limiter, similar to what Radeon pro has been doing. Is that true?

I wish I could have tested this driver to get a more adequate opinion but it's true that during the 6 months I had the cards, every new driver release never fixed my issues.

I was reading other reviews, and some folks were saying it isn't really a frame metering but instead, some kind of frame limiter, similar to what Radeon pro has been doing. Is that true?

Why does this matter? Metering and limiting are essentially the same thing. If it works, the semantics and vernacular mean nothing.

I wish I could have tested this driver to get a more adequate opinion but it's true that during the 6 months I had the cards, every new driver release never fixed my issues.

I fail to see how your experiences last month have anything to do with this release.

*edit for time accuracy (6 months ago vs last month)

Last edited:
It isn't frame limiting in the same sense as radeonpro, no. That's like vsync, a hard fps cap. This is more like a buffer so that you get every frame (as an example a random made up number) in 16 ms, instead of one at 16 then one at 8 then one at 24. Both scenarios would be 3 frames in 48ms but one looks smoother.

Functionally it does the same thing nvidia cards are doing in sli, but not quite as efficiently, yet.

Back