• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

battlefield vietnam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pros:
-Fun game
-Very close to Desert Combat (w/ better helicopter controls ;))
-Awesome Video
-Cool new weapons
-Rather Inexpensive $39
-Nice, large sized fanbase

Cons:
-Still buggy at this point
-No Single Player campaign mode
-Sometimes too similar to its predecessor...
-Often seems more like an expansion pack

Conclusion:
BF:V is a great game which improves upon its predecessor and has a promising future, as most bugs will be eradicated soon and the mods should be amazing (as usual w/ BF games). Although it may look more like an expansion pack, it ups the BF universe in combat, expecially air combat (BFV is priced like an expansion pack for BF anyways[when they first came out]). A great buy if you love BF1942 and are interested in a more vehicle intense game.

Is it worth a buy? For sure. Ho Chi Minh trail alone is worth the $39. I love the fact that you can play your own music in the vehicles, it's kind of a gimmick but I love it. I agree with all of Tatuya's comments except it doesn't feel like an expansion at all to me. Sure it has a few similarities to BF1942, but it has enough differences that you know it is totally different. I keep switching between this and UT2k4.

Sure, it's worth buying. Doesn't feel like an expansion at all imo. Has a very different feel to it, but it's a good one.
I'll disagree with the chopper flying controls being better comment though. Sure, they're easier to fly, but to me that doesn't mean they're better. The chopper controls seem almost too easy to use. It took some skill to manuver in DC. Imo, flying a chopper shouldn't be easy, it should take practice like it did in DC.
Other than that, though, I'm very happy with the game.

A lot of people complain that it feels like an expansion, honestly I don't. I just wanted to express a broader opinion of more than just my opinion. Either way, this game is worth the buy. It's Battlefield 1942x10000000

Taenim: Personally, I enjoy easier controls for the helicopter, sure it doesn't take skill but being able to fly one right off the bat is very fun;however, it still isnt that easy to blow stuff up in a copter, you still need a good pilot and skilled guner as well.

Cheers to BF:V :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

its definetly one of this years games your collection must have. (only about 10 games this year worthy thereabouts)

lots of fun to be had suttley driving into an enemy base with some Jefferson Airplane blasting out, mobile spawn points can add somewhat of a strategic twist over bf1942, however on some maps I find it to be a bit of silly feature that allows for excessive spawn camping.

some weapon issues need balancing (whether dice feel the same about that we are yet to see), but I am looking forward to what comes with updates, features, maps etc

i have never found one of those vietnam span "holes" that you can supposedly move, where are they

-me

its just like in 1942 i could never find a sub

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

i hated btld vietnam, it was crap, nothin like first game was totally different , but then again this is my opnion

piraterocker7 said:
i have never found one of those vietnam span "holes" that you can supposedly move, where are they

-me

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I've spawned out of them. I think the spawn holes are created by using the shovel at certain areas, on certain maps (not sure which ones).

......I also never found the sub in bf1942, but I never really looked.

vietnam is an awesome game, some very cool features, and as for the spawn camping remark, if you dont spawn camp how can you win the game??? due to the fact you are trying to cap a flag and that the enemy are spawning there i see little choice in the matter

Neil.b said:
vietnam is an awesome game, some very cool features, and as for the spawn camping remark, if you dont spawn camp how can you win the game??? due to the fact you are trying to cap a flag and that the enemy are spawning there i see little choice in the matter

Capturing a spawn point and spawn camping are two totally different things. Spawn camping is when you sit just outside of the capture radius and continue to kill everyone as they spawn, never trying to capture the flag at that point. Myself and probably anyone else don't have any problems getting killed a few times by someone trying to capture a point. But it's the guys who sit outside of the capture radius and never attempt to get the flag that annoy the crap out of me.

piraterocker7 said:

-me

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

The spawn points that can be moved look like little tunnels with shovels sticking in them. They are usually origionally found near main spawn points, but they have no flag of their own.

To pick them up you need to be the engy with the shovel in your kit, just pick it up like you pick up any kit (G by default). Then you can actually equip the shovel and use it to dig up a new spawn point. If you are killed, the shovel spawn is stuck in the kit, and no one can spawn there until the kit is picked up and the shovel is reused (supposedly, any class can pick up the shovel kit at this point). Tunnels can be destroyed and respawn in the same starting area.

Subs were the single spawn point boats on the water maps. I believe they were not put in the single player map versions, only the online ones. They can be found on midway and guadawhatever canal and mabye some others that I am forgetting.

well it run good on a p4 2.4C, asus p4p800 dlx, 512ddr pc3200 2x256, ti4200 64meg, seagate sata 120gig hdd?

If you have a 9800 Pro the game has serious known graphical issues. The good news is ATI's latestdriver released a day or so ago seems to somewhat fix this issue.

But EA should have told ALL ATI 9800 users about this issue as It was an annoying problem. Gave me massive headaches playing.

Hrmmm.

/me needs to try the new Cat drivers. :p

SSS: Do the new drivers help any of the choppiness during gameplay, or show any sort of jump in framerates on your end?

this game along with farcry, runs really bad on my machine with 512 ram. hmm- big maps to handle the jets in the game require loads of system ram- consider also the small grass blades all of the place. looks good! i like it, but i cant stand the 'rambos' in the game. too many... not like counter stike at all. no team work whats so ever. its all because of the respawn thingy. counter strike never had that. the maps were smaller, it keeps everone closer togther. i loved running down a ramp, and having a snipper camping behind me covering me and 3 other guys charging in. but, cs is old and noone plays it anymore... some how its all gone to ut04, bfv, and other fps games. i dont know whats going to happen to cs2, considering what happened to cs:condition zero.... ugh...

i play bfv! and i like it, but not as much as cs.

i have a 9800pro and it has no issues whtat so ever. im at 1152x864 res with everything totally maxed and frames dont drop below 70 ever.

Silversinksam said:
If you have a 9800 Pro the game has serious known graphical issues. The good news is ATI's latestdriver released a day or so ago seems to somewhat fix this issue.

But EA should have told ALL ATI 9800 users about this issue as It was an annoying problem. Gave me massive headaches playing.

Back