• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Enthusiast Advice Only needed for Extreme Cooling build *please*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

auracle2g

Hello guys, I've been doing hours and hours of research and im having extreme difficulty coming out with a decision for my dilemma and ive finally decided im gonna need to post and get some pro advice. Heres the build SO far, and ill explain the situation:

NZXT Tempest ("Airflow King")
EVGA x58 3-Way SLI (non-CLASSIFIED)
Intel Core i7 920
6gb OCZ Gold
GTX 275
Corsair HX1000 1000W PSU
1TB WD Black Cavier

THE SITUATION...I need advice from extremely experienced users who either will know FOR SURE if my situation/dilemma WILL *DEFINITELY* FIT/WORKOUT. So any Pro's, insane Enthusiasts willing to help me figure this out. I owe you so much, because I've just got a headache now. Lets start, because the situation is fairly simple for someone whos experienced.

[PLEASE TAKE NOT. NOISE IS OF ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN WHATSOEVER ABOUT ANY FANS/COOLERS THAT IM ASKING ADVICE FOR, THANK YOU]

***I've become completely obsessed with finding top of the line, or very close to it, aftermarket cooling components (heatsinks,fans) No Water Cooling. All Airflow.
#1 - ***I need to find a PSU cooler for the Core i7 that will FIT into the EVGA x58 3-Way SLI (non-Classified!) and a NZXT Tempest (which i must say is fairly spacious IMO).
---So Far, Ive come up with either a TRUE, or a Prolimatech Megahalem as the CPU cooler. But no matter how much research I've done, I can't get a definite answer by anyone who can tell me any of these coolers will fit and give me no problems (Preferably the Megahalem if i could choose). Point is, I cant have the whole world so, if those are just not possible to fit, without ANY modification. If not, Then please someone provide me with intelligent advice on what to cool the core i7 920 with because i plan for at least a 3.8ghz stable overclock 24/7, or possibly even (hopefully) up to a 4.0+ghz OC. Please. I need help figuring this one out. Remember, no modifications to my case (ghetto rigs or whatever just legitate fitting parts)

#2 - I plan to replace ALL stock NZXT Tempest case fans, it has 2 top dual exhaust 140mm fans, 1 120mm rear exhaust fans, and 3 120mm intake fans. Id like to request advice on these also. Ive done research of course. And I want to say Scythe Ultra Kazes. Anyone with better recommendations is obviously welcomed. Also for this whole system, Noise is of NO CONCERN to me whatsoever.

#3 - Basically, Lastly, I want to do VGA cooling or WHATEVER someone intelligent with absolute experience can recommend for cooling down even further at GTX 275 which will shortly be in 2 way SLI Mode.

#4 - This is just sort of honestly being anal (LIKE AS IF TO SOME PEOPLE I HAVENT REACHED THAT LEVEL YET? HAHA. Im sure lots of you understand how we are with our PC's)....but RAM cooling? Should I do it? its only 1600 OCZ GOLD. Cant overclock it. But. If yes, recommendations PLEASE <3.

Conclusion:

Thank you guys for anyone who had the patience to listen to my dilemma that ive spent so much time trying to figure out but im just worn out. The way I work with my computer, i get OCD like symptoms with, and with anyone who has that. ****, youve gotta know how you feel when you cant have something the way you need it to be.

Noise is of no concern for any recommended parts. Please just make sure that when any of you helpful enthusiants recommend a part for me. It MUST fit inside the EVGA x58 3-Way SLI non-Classified ina NZXT Tempest Case. I know ive repeated alot, but you know how essential it is that we get it right. Guys thank you so much for the help, You have NO IDEA. It pleases me for your help to take a moment out of your life and help a fellow beginner enthusiast take a load off. Because my head feels like its gonna explode.

Any further questions, specifically, please bookmark this, and i will be checking everyday if not between hours and hours.

-Thanks Friends, "Super" Computers FTW hehe - Laters.

Start by reaplcing all your fans with these. Delta 190CFM Or the larger 2x3 Blade version.

For RAM cooling just place a 120mm fan on them blowing down.

I cant tell you what to use for the GPUs, all the high airflow options i know of take up 3/4 slots which would stop SLI.

I know you say noise inst an issue, but you can get really high performance with really low noise if you do it right - your ears will thank you for it.

If your really looking for massive amounts of air cooling why not look at a differnt case, somthing form MM?

Last edited:
I bought a 80mm Fan called a typhoon. It claimed 119 CFM @ 63 dB. I decided I would give it a try. It sounded like a Vacuum cleaner with just 1 fan. I could not imagine a whole case with these things. You would have to turn a fan controller to halfway just to live with the noise.

As for those i7 920s, I haven't read that anyone had to do anything special with their systems to hit 4.0. A good CPU HSF and some good case air flow ought to do it.

P.S. Before you replace the stock fans, don't you think you ought to see how they fair?

NZXT Tempest ("Airflow King")
If you want the "airflow king", check my Mountain Mod Ascension link in my sig. If I drop Delta fans into mine, there is no case (short of a different model Ascension that has 9 fans up front) that will touch the amount of airflow I could achieve.

THE SITUATION...I need advice from extremely experienced users who either will know FOR SURE if my situation/dilemma WILL *DEFINITELY* FIT/WORKOUT. So any Pro's, insane Enthusiasts willing to help me figure this out. I owe you so much, because I've just got a headache now. Lets start, because the situation is fairly simple for someone whos experienced.
I promise nothing, but I have faith behind what I suggest. I believe I have a fair amount of knowledge to assist you. Different hardware (even if it is the same model) will react differently to other hardware, so I have no way of knowing how your system will overclock; no one does.

#1 - ***I need to find a PSU cooler for the Core i7 that will FIT into the EVGA x58 3-Way SLI (non-Classified!) and a NZXT Tempest (which i must say is fairly spacious IMO).
You mean a CPU cooler? Otherwise that doesn't make sense. I run a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE) on my QX9650 and I run a daily 4.0GHz with 2 Panaflo Ultra (38mm thick fans) on a fan controller, running about 7v. That being said, with proper fans, it should handle the heat load that the i7 will dump.

#2 - I plan to replace ALL stock NZXT Tempest case fans, it has 2 top dual exhaust 140mm fans, 1 120mm rear exhaust fans, and 3 120mm intake fans. Id like to request advice on these also. Ive done research of course. And I want to say Scythe Ultra Kazes. Anyone with better recommendations is obviously welcomed. Also for this whole system, Noise is of NO CONCERN to me whatsoever.
If you have no preference to sound as indicated above, check out Delta fans, Ultra High speed versions. While I also don't really mind if my computer is loud, there is a limit to your sanity; as much as you don't want to believe it. Unless you are listening through headphones, it will annoy you.

#3 - Basically, Lastly, I want to do VGA cooling or WHATEVER someone intelligent with absolute experience can recommend for cooling down even further at GTX 275 which will shortly be in 2 way SLI Mode.
I'm unsure what solutions will fit here, but I would take a look at the Thermalright HR-03 for your cards, not sure what model it is.

#4 - This is just sort of honestly being anal (LIKE AS IF TO SOME PEOPLE I HAVENT REACHED THAT LEVEL YET? HAHA. Im sure lots of you understand how we are with our PC's)....but RAM cooling? Should I do it? its only 1600 OCZ GOLD. Cant overclock it. But. If yes, recommendations PLEASE <3.
Put a high speed fan on the RAM and get RAM that actually overclocks. I have no experience with DDR3, so I can't make any suggestions.

OP think long and hard about you limit of noise. If you fill you case full of high CFM Delta's I hope you live alone and have a nice set of noise damping headphones.

For your fans:

The selection of 140mm is pretty limited but the Kaze look pretty good.
For 120mm I would go with the Scythe S-Flex series for a balance of performance and noise.

For you heat sink, personally I would go with the Megalahem but don't have any experience with that case so I couldn't tell you if it would fit or not. Just get out a measuring tape and figure it out.

For the VGA cooling the Thermalright HR-03 GTX would be the ticket.

You don't need anything special for the memory, all they need is a bit of airflow. A low speed 120mm fan would be more than enough.

So far guys thank you to no end for acknowledging this thread and giving me any useful advice what-so-ever. Unfortunately I have not met or heard from anyone who DEFINITELY knows a TRUE or Prolimatech Megahalem will fit inside of a NZXT Tempest WITH USING a EVGA x58 3way (non-classified). If anyone out there can try to figure it out with the kindness of their soul, I owe you the world. Im just so fustrated haha! Anyways, enough rambling.

Thank you guys so far, MORE input would be AWESOME. Please.

P.S. - Anyone who can find out for sure....lub you long timez <3. Laters guys.

If you have the motherboard and case, you could measure the distance between the top of the CPU and the side panel. Then i could tell you for sure if it will fit. I have a spare TRUE sitting in my closet that I can pull out and measure.

From the sound of his post, he wants OCFORUMS to do the work for him. He is hoping to copy someone, but has completely different intentions.

My recommendation is if you have it already, then make due with what you have, upgrade in small parts until you meet your needs. No one here is going to have the identical system with the identical requirements and tolerances. Make your measurements as suggested and someone will help you out.

Quit acknowledging and thanking and bitchin' about your frustration and get to work. :) Not meant in a bad way. Just a little tough love.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say, +1 for the thermalright gpu cooling solution. My HR-03 GT cut my temps by more than half on my 8800GT. Easy installation, great performance, and not all that expensive. I could not be more satisfied.

I've always been facinated with the possibilitys of extreeme phasechange in conjunction with oil immersion to fight condensation........

thanks to all who gave useful input. i know im being a pain in the ***. but you guys have also relieved a pain in my *** thats slowly going away. ill be monitoring the thread still. any more info is always appreciated.

Ya your monitoring threads all over the place, go look up some stuff on your own I'd say personally.

:(

I kinda agree with Brutal-Force on this one.

Turbo has a good idea on maybe trying that phase change oil immersion idea for eliminating condensation though, I'd never pondered that one.

Hmm.

OK sorry I can't do it hehehe J/K

Last edited:
Not to dash your hopes that someone will magically come up with an answer but in all honesty the only way you're going to get a 100% positive answer to whether those coolers fit or not is to buy one and test it yourself. Even with just those three parts (mobo, case, cooler) you've already created a unique rig due to the overwhelming number of options for each part. You're gonna have to bite the bullet and test it out yourself if you want the kind of confirmation you're looking for.

EDIT: I looked into the coolers and your case. Width of the case is 211.5mm. Height of the TRUE is 160.5mm and the Megahalem is 158.7mm.

For the TRUE thats 51mm of space for your mobo, cpu, and the screws on top of the heatsink as well as a margin for error and the fact that the width of the case is measured from the outside not the inside. Not a lot of space in my opinion.

For the Megahalem you have 52.8mm of space for all of the above. A tiny bit more, which I guess could make all the difference.

Thats the best I, or most likely anyone else, can do for you. I don't speak from experience though having never owned any of those parts.

Last edited:
cpu cooling solution

your going to have to pony up about 70 bucks for this but look at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

this cooling system uses a push-pull fan system, and you can shoot all the warm air to the ceiling case fans and out of your box. the air flow system should be efficient enough to open up your core i7 to 3.8 or 4.0ghz, I do not have your hardware and cannot promise you results, that is up to you and how good your chip is, this is just a rockin heat sink and cooling system for your set-up.

the fans are a standard 120mm, if they go out down the road, you can buy new ones and re-mount and get back into it, and I am sure there are quieter and better ones out there if these fans already don't rock enough.

I am using the thermaltake version of this type of cooling system and I love it, replacing my zalman in my intel rig as well, I like how the 120mm fans come off. you cant do that with a zalman, once the fan is toast your scwood.

Back