• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help asap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tWiSt3D

Ok so I installed my new 6870 last night,finally found the correct drivers to play games smooth.Well after playing bad company 2 veitnam for about 2 hours my pc just shuts down.
Me being puzzled from this tried to turn it back on and nothing.I opened the case knowing the card temps were fine I was keeping an eye on them I felt around for things being hot.The card was fine but I touched the power supply and I couldnt hold my hand on it for more than 5 secs it was very hot.My daughter said she smelled something burning.

My question is this normal temp for power supplies?I never felt it bebore but doesnt seem right.I quess Ill run to best buy when they open today and hope they have one with the hook ups that I have.Any thoughts on this would be great.I just built this PC so all parts should be good.Only thing that is about 4 years old is the power supply.Thanks for any help.

No it is not! Turn off your computer asap! (Will make another post in the next minute explaining what to do next.) Use a different computer for the moment.

Okay this is the short version, replace your PSU, it's obviously busted.
Long version. A PSU should not get over 50*C (122*F) which should not burn your hand at all. It's obvious your PSU is bust. Get a new PSU one with protection. That is my advice.
Optional: Blow up you old PSU. :) It's always fun.

Its off it wont turn on i unplugged it let it set for awhile then plugged it back in tried to turn it on and I seen the lights on my fans for a half a sec and thats it. Ihope thats my problem surely it is.I will have to wait until later to go get one it being 4:00 am nothing is open here that carries PSU. Ishould just order one but Icant wait that long not knowing if its going to fix it or not lol

A 4 year old PSU... That has more trouble than a 20 foot drop and no turning back. Go to the recommended PSU thread and see what it recommends.

Ok the power supply that I have not sure the correct term for it but its one that doesnt have all the wires coming out of it.When I get a new one does it come with all the correct wires if its one that has all the wires out of it? Iknow that doesnt make sense but Its been awhile since I have bought one cant remember whats included.

Wow, what you said confuses the hell out of me. Modular means that all the cables are permanently attached to the PSU. Non-modular is with all the cables connected to the PSU. If you want to know what cables are on the PSU look at the reviews on JohnnyGuru and stats on newegg.

Ok the power supply that I have not sure the correct term for it but its one that doesnt have all the wires coming out of it.When I get a new one does it come with all the correct wires if its one that has all the wires out of it? Iknow that doesnt make sense but Its been awhile since I have bought one cant remember whats included.

The term is "modular" and all PSUs will come with the required cables for your build :thup:

Modular just means removable cables, lots of nice modular PSUs these days since last time you bought one when they were hard to find.

Wow, what you said confuses the hell out of me. Modular means that all the cables are permanently attached to the PSU. Non-modular is with all the cables connected to the PSU. If you want to know what cables are on the PSU look at the reviews on JohnnyGuru and stats on newegg.

:p I knew it would lol lol but ok yeah thats it modular.Im running on no sleep this dang PC has drove me insane lol.Now is the wait for best buy to open.:screwy:

:p I knew it would lol lol but ok yeah thats it modular.Im running on no sleep this dang PC has drove me insane lol.Now is the wait for best buy to open.:screwy:

Love BestBuy. Then again it's the only department store I know of that is mainly for technology. I've ran off of no sleep a few times...

Check on my recommended Power supply list before buying anything. Its prevents you from buying a PSU that does this. If its on the list you know you are getting a solid power supply. If it isn't its most likely because it hasn't passed the requirements to make it on my list. The list was updated last month.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Well that was my problem. I went to best buy which I should of just ordered one but Im 39 years old trapped in a 6 year olds body lol lol I cant wait.Anyways I had 2 choices there a Rock fish 900 watt and a Thermaltake 850 black widow.

I went with the Thermaltake.Has a 5year year warranty so hopefully Ill be good for a few.Thanks guys and gals for the help.

Let's hope it does not fail like its 750W brother, which cannot handle its own rated wattage ~550Watts?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/7

According to this, you have bought a 625W power supply.. Which is plenty for your rig anyhow :thup:

Well I hope it holds lol lol I never heard of the other brand so this one seem best for me what they had anyways.Actually it was the 850 watt if that matters to the link :)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...gwTyz__wyCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=23-130483434-2

Well I hope it holds lol lol I never heard of the other brand so this one seem best for me what they had anyways.Actually it was the 850 watt if that matters to the link :)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...gwTyz__wyCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=23-130483434-2

Yes, that's the one I was referring to as the 750w model's brother. The 750 model is the only one I could find a review for, and generally they are made with the same components so you can assume a consistent review from one model to another. They are not always consistent, which is what I was crossing my fingers for :D

Rocketfish is Best Buys rebrnding of an OEM company.

For Cases, they are Lian Li for PSUs I believe the maker is huntkey.

Almost none of the PSU names you might recognize build their own Power supplies, they buy them from someone else, put some pretty stickers and fancy cabling on them and sell them at a nice mark up.

Better choice on the Thermaltake although I generally do not recommend them either. No single brand name should be trusted however, No matter the company, they all have good units and bad units.

Well I figured Id get one no one would like lol.I will post back if I do have problems with it in the future.Knock on wood :)

Back