• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Chromecast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am going to order one the second amazon has stock(amazon prime) and i will post up a nice review here. with pictures and everything!

To add to this. I got mine. Netflix via the device is very nice. Controlling from the phone, or jumping onto the tablet and controlling it is really cool. Nice features.

Youtube is a nice added function, but as of yesterday at least it can not play HD video's sadly. Standard Def is all I've been able to get out of it.

Also the web browser on the TV from the PC is neat. It does work well, though if its video at least it can be laggy. probably just depends on the bandwidth free to use it for viewing.

Overall for $35... its great and hoping other companies come out with apps that support this device.

I've yet to wrap my brain around devices like this. I'm not bashing it or anyone that wants one, I just don't see the need. Just about every TV or Blu-ray player has Netflix and other streaming services embedded. I suppose it's useful for streaming from a laptop if you don't have an internet TV or BD player. Maybe it's just that I'm too old and curmudgeonly to grasp this "mobile generation".

I digress, glad you folks like it!

I've yet to wrap my brain around devices like this. I'm not bashing it or anyone that wants one, I just don't see the need. Just about every TV or Blu-ray player has Netflix and other streaming services embedded. I suppose it's useful for streaming from a laptop if you don't have an internet TV or BD player. Maybe it's just that I'm too old and curmudgeonly to grasp this "mobile generation".

Well one thing about streaming netflix. I have the apple TV, and watching netflix through it is far better then any 'smart tv' that I have seen. The full HD NEVER lags or decreases quality, as many TV's i've seen just can't handle it.

I go the HTPC route which I suppose is another reason I don't get the need for this device. Though "wireless HDMI", which is what it amounts to, is cool.

Well for me, I have a single smart TV in the house and its basically out of range with the router at this time (wireless), all my Blu-Ray players have the ability but again no wifi and do not have network connection close enough to them (house is not wired).

So that leaves me very limited or spending $50 for ethernet over power per device.

Besides who wants to control netflix via a remote control when you can use a touch screen thats so much quicker :) As well go anywhere in the house and start it up, which is slick because at least on my TV it will kick to the device if I tell it to on my phone or tablet, even if we are watching TV or a DVD/Blu-Ray it will kick out to the device.

Back