• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help the N00b!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't seem to get my IP Address (static, as it's monitering a LAN w/o internet) to stick...running "ifconfig eth0" says all the right things, but on bootup eth0 isn't enabled, and I THINK dhcp broadcasting is, when it shouldn't.
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. You want a static ip for eth0? it doesn't really matter if the lan is connected to the internet, because all traffic will be handled by your router. I do not think that dsl has a dhcp host daemon enabled by default, but I do think it does have a dhcp client enabled and I'm thinking that is what you are referring to. They should have something in their wiki about how to configure a static ip.

I want to change the labels on my Lilo Boot Configuration - right now it says:
"Linux"
"Windows (sda1)"
"Win/Dos (hda3)"
and I would like it to read:
"Linux (hda1)"
"Win2000 (hda3)"

thus changing the labels of 2 of the partitions, and removing a third (sda1).
edit /etc/lilo.conf and then run lilo to install the changes. search google for more info.

Finally, I installed gkrellm, and I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO WORK IT....I'm such a noob...

ANYWAYS, I would LIKE to be able to use Gkrellm to monitor the hard drive usage, CPU usage, and RAM usage on my brother's and my computer's, both of which run XP. How do I do this? Also, how would I lock Gkrellm in a certain place so that on bootup it is always in the same place?
i don't think there is a way to remotely monitor a windows box using gkrellm, but i might be wrong. if there is a windows client/daemon, then you might be able to, but I couldn't find any info about that.

If DSL hasn't tinkered with the debian network setup too much, paste your /etc/network/interfaces and we'll see what we can do.

For lilo: edit your /etc/lilo.conf and then rerun /sbin/lilo as root. Only change lines with "label"

Yes, if I remember the gkrellm for windows programmer right, it's server is the same as the on under Linux: same protocol

The lilo.conf + sbin/lilo trick worked perfectly...thanks all! I had no idea what to do-I hate being a n00b...at least I know now!

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces file:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 10.0.0.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 10.0.0.0
broadcast 10.0.0.10
gateway 1.1.1.1

I don't have a router - I have a 5 port ethernet switch. I WANT to use my Linux laptop to monitor CPU/RAM/Disk usage on the computers running WindowsXP. Subnet mask & default gateways are the same for the XP compies - they communicate FINE w/ Linux lappy, but the linux lappy refuses to communicate ON BOOT...I don't know why, but apparently eth0 just doesnt enable or somethin on boot-I really have NO idea...

To make the linux lappy able to see the XP compies, I have to type in "ifconfig eth0 inet 10.0.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0" EVERY TIME I RESTART...it's kinda a pain in the butt, and I would like it to just do that automatically...

I haven't the slightest idea about whatcha are all talking about w/ the gkrellmd stuff...I was lucky to find normal gkrellm as a .dsl file...I guess I just don't know how to use it...mind telling me how?

Last edited:
Back