• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need you to build me a gaming rig under $2000!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think theres a few things you need to ask yourself before you go dropping that entire 2 grand on a computer.

First how much are you on this computer everyday?

Have you ever really played computer games before?

Do you really need a gtx-280 or other super-high end vid card?

What I'm getting at is that for a 1000$, you can build a quad core computer with 4 gigs of ram, blue ray drive, and a single GTX260 and it will tear through any game at 1900x1200 at high settings, probably higher. Once you hit the 200$ mark on a video card, i feel like you get a minimal noticeable performance increase for your dollars.
Well I'm just upset about my laptop's performance compared to these high end cards. I'm on my computer working about 12-15 hours a day, and on weekends I game, a lot, and want to seriously enjoy the graphics as much as I can. Owning a GTX 280 just would make me feel better, knowing the card will last 3 years and still be able to handle every game. I mean, look at the 8800 GTX, it came out sooo long ago and is still talked about as a decent card, so imagine of I wait a bit, and buy the GTX260x2 when it launches, I'll be set for a looong time, and I can SLI another one if I need to buy myself another year.

But i will say that you should invest in a good monitor, maybe even a 1080P HDTV for your display. 17" just doesn't cut in now days, i'd say get a nice 22" at least.
Thank you for your efforts, I will consider what you are saying, since I do not disagree with you. As for the monitor, I'm planning on 1080P 24" SAMSUNG LCD ($300), but I do not know much about HDTV's and how they work with computers. Any recommendations?

--

As said above, I'm looking for an i7 build, so it's going to be pricey.

An actual computer monitor will give you a better resolution, but a different aspect ratio. I'd recommend a 1920x1200 24" monitor.

Also, I think you should save your money and not go with the i7. Maybe a 45nm dual or quad core CPU would work great. Plus you save a buttload on RAM and the mobo if you go socket 775.

For video, you should look into the GTX 260 core 216. It preforms close to the GTX 280, and it won't break your wallet.

I will, but the major components in an i7 build arent cheap anywhere...

yeh i guess so, but why would you want an i7. Benchmarks show that theres no advantage at all compared to a Core 2 Quad, some disadvantages in some games even.

Only advantage is if ur video editing and thats bout it

lol ... everyone recommends i7 ... but does he really need that? does he render video / crunch data all the time? hoenstly if he wants it for gaming he can get a core2 dual core e8400 with like 8 gigs of ram and like a asus rampage for cheaper than an i7 setup

for under 2 grand i'd buy

e8600 - about 150 bucks
TRUE 120 - about 50 bucks
Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb hdd - got mine a few days ago for 120 bucks
4-8 gigs Gskill ddr21066 - 4 gig kit a few days ago on newegg was like 70 bucks
asus rampage extreme - 300 bucks?
Corsair HX620 - 110 bucks
2x radeon 4850 - 250 for both?

total without case/monitor is about $1050 (this thing could probably clock close to 4.5Ghz)

that would be a pretty hardcore gaming rig

THE ONLY reason i have a quad core over a dual core is because i use it often to render video / effects

Last edited:
yeh i guess so, but why would you want an i7. Benchmarks show that theres no advantage at all compared to a Core 2 Quad, some disadvantages in some games even.

Only advantage is if ur video editing and thats bout it
Lol same reason people put GTX280s in 3-way SLI, they don't NEED it at all, as 2 would probably be more than enough, but it's just something they desire...

ppl who put 3 GTX 280's in SLI are idiots, SERIOUSLY, why would you need that.
the GTX 300 series is meant to be the next big improvement, so 3 GTX 280 is just plain stupid.

the i7 is pointless, a core to duo would be fine, but i got a Quad because 4 cores is more effective, the i7 has no improvement over a core 2 Quad.

Last edited:
So take that example that you posted. Are you really going to notice the difference in most games (assuming most games are on par with the CoD4 benchmark difference). Or are you going to play crysis all the time (I'd rather play Zork than crysis)? What we are trying to do here is save you money. You can still get a kickass gaming machine, even if it Core 2 based. You don't need to spend 300 for a mobo and 200 for RAM. They will offer very small performance gains. A C2Q machine with two GTX 260 Core 216's in SLI will still be very fast. Honestly, if you really want to spend the two grand, and won't miss a cent of it, buy the Core i7 and don't look back.

As for the monitor, I think most of us can agree when choosing between1920x1200 vs 1900x1080 with comparable specs, that we'd take the higher resolution. The other difference is that the HDTV will have a tuner in it, where the monitor will not. Oh, and price is a factor, but it seems you are making it clear that you want to hit the 2k mark pretty badly ;)

in gaming any quad does not have an advantage ... and if they do its 10-15 % TOPS and thats only in games that utilize quad core apps .... and yes in games i7 has 0 advantage over C2Q unless you want to run like 8 games at once and play them all at the same time

as for fps ... you're eyes only really see 60fps as to why you would need 500fps is beyond me

look we're offering you another choice just like everyone else is ... the thing about ours is that its about half the cost as the others and you'll gain a few (10-15fps) fps in game.

I'm not disagreeing with you guys, I'm not rich and don't like throwing money away, just trying to make sure if I'm buying a desktop to last me 3-4 years it will be top of the line with the newest hardware, which I've never had. I agree i7's performance over C2D/Q is probably not humanly-noticeable, but I'm just trying not to make the mistake of buying a duo and then next year regretting I didn't get a quad for games...

I'm also worried about what GPU to match with a 920 to prevent major bottlenecking.

(and no I would never buy that $400+ tv for gaming, I can suffice with another 24" 1900x1200 for cheaper).

If I get a C2Q Q6600 (somehow cheaper than C2D E8500 @ newegg), then the mobo is $100 cheaper, RAM is $100 cheaper, overall a C2Q build is about $300-400 cheaper than an i7 build. Definitely going to be considering this...

So can someone explain the bottlenecking issue in a few words? I hear that if your CPU has headroom while your GPU hits its peak, you lose serious potential. Kind of like, how a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link? In one of those articles, they say they needed 3XGTX280 to prevent the i7 extreme system from gpu bottlenecking?!

lol ... everyone recommends i7 ... but does he really need that? does he render video / crunch data all the time? hoenstly if he wants it for gaming he can get a core2 dual core e8400 with like 8 gigs of ram and like a asus rampage for cheaper than an i7 setup

the i7 is pointless, a core to duo would be fine, but i got a Quad because 4 cores is more effective, the i7 has no improvement over a core 2 Quad.

okay but guys, look at when they built their last rig, 2003... so obviously this person doesnt upgrade every year, they upgrade every 5 years, why go i7?? so you can upgrade your rig over the next 5 years instead of buying into a basically "dead" socket that may get a couple mionor cpu upgrades to it if we are lucky. Where as I socket will likely still be going in 3+ years.

as for fps ... you're eyes only really see 60fps as to why you would need 500fps is beyond me

This myth has been busted a MILLION times, stop saying it, it is not true.

It doesnt matter whether or not the eyes can see 60fps max, I clearly notice the difference between 60 and 100, just open up Half-Life Episode 2 and you'll see how beautiful and smooth it is @ higher frame rates.

And for the record, stop passing the whole 60fps thing on cause you read it from somewhere, ask opticians, its not true.

About the whole i7 vs 775 thing, a q6600 either with no overclock or and easy 3.0ghz OC is still a helluva chip, all the 3d modelers i know work on q6600 machines, they are fast, even for rendering and ripping, if it will save you hundreds of dollars, i'd say go q6600.

Back