• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blow or Pull Air from Video Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi,

I have 2 Gigabyte Windforce 290X video cards each with three fans blowing air into the card and out the side of the heat sink. Of course they run really hot. I also have two 140mm fans on the side of my case next to the video cards. Does it make sense to blow air to the cards or pull air away from the video cards with these fans?

My other fans are:
On top I have a NZXT X60 radiator with two 140mm fan blowing air out
One 120mm in the back top blowing air out
Two 120mm fans in front blowing air in

Thanks.

David

Blow the cool air in at them IMO

This will make the most impact. It will also help expidite hot air out of the case through the exhaust

Use the side fans as intake, as you already have a good bit of exhaust fans.

I find that depends on the cards and set-up. If the cards exhaust into the case I have the best luck pulling the hot air out from the side before it has a chance to get to the CPU and other components. I have 2xGTX580s and this dropped the temps well over 10° for the top card. You'll likely need to experiment a bit.

I have 2 gigabyte 7970
And the most efective(for me)
On the side panel is
Bottom: push in
And over: pulls out
If i install the fan in push in i lost
3-4 deg cels.

Hi, Thanks for all the responses. I ended up turning the fans both ways as push or pull and it really didn't make any difference on the video card temperatures after running 3DMark a couple of times. I think I'm going to leave the side fans pushing air on the cards. I'm not too worried about the CPU getting hotter because it's hooked up to a NZXT x60 radiator on top the case blowing air out with two 140mm fans.

Thanks again,

David

Back