• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

display driver has failed and recovered

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silas_x

hi, new to this forum but wanted to get back into overclocking forums as I use to use the old school overclocking.com (which I don't even think exists any more) and extremeoverlocking.com (but always thought the people on there were slightly...****?)

but I want to resolve an issue for myself and many other, as this problem has an uncountable amount of results on google -

its common for video cards to have graphics cards constantly giving the error "display driver has failed and has been recovered"

I once had a fix to this, thinking iwould never need to look it up again - or at least for a really long time. in this case its been about two years

I found the fix once - it was a way of changing the base clock to a higher speed or matched to the full operating speed of the graphics card GPU and memory.

my base clock is only 100mhz and ram I believe is around 400mhz and jumps to about 800 on the gpu.

when I went into a file after doing tons of research I was able to find a file where you could permanently change the base stock speeds.

but I can no longer find how to get to this file!

if anyone knows how to change the base clock WITHOUT RBE (many cards are unsupported) it would be greatly appreciated.

not only for me but the 10k+ google searches from people with errors!

p.s. this is with an xfx radeon 6790 hd

and yes ive reinstalled over and over etc etc every other way people suggested on the internet but this is the only thing to stop the constant display driver errors

6000 series radeons had signed bioses so any changes made to the bios broke the signature and the computer would blue screen when the video drivers load.

To work around this you can use something like MSI afterburner to adjust the voltage and speeds, force 3d clocks all the time, things like that.

tried that - it worked a little better, but when I edited the files it worked flawlessly! I believe it was a .xml file but I simply cant find the correct one. I did find a file that listed the base speeds and other speeds but cant edit them

I have never heard of an xml file that changes speeds for a card. Unless it was just editing a file for a program like afterburner. What you describe sounds like editing and flashing a custom bios. I've done that on many generations of cards, but my 6950s would blue screen if I changed clocks or voltages.

Hopefully someone else has more experience with that exact card.

IIRC you must disable ULPS in Afterburner settings and tick the force constant voltage setting as well. You do have to edit the configuration file with notepad to enable voltage and overclock settings but that is easily searchable and I don't recall the phrase you have to edit in. I hope that that helps but I will also say that drivers since the 12.4's were really written for newer cards and going back to that driver may solve some of your issues.

Back