• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can 2x r9 270x handle 2x 24" 1080p?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Looking to dual monitor, was wondering if X fire 270x could handle 2x1080p monitors. "Handle" would be ultra graphics over 40fps on AAA titles.

Two things this would be better answered in the AMD graphics section and second you'll probably want something with more power and VRam. I don't think 2Gb is enough for both monitors and ultra settings. If you click on the exclamation mark you can get this moved.

Moved thread to proper section. :)

+1 to Johan and atm.

So I assume you are not playing FPS on two monitors (dat bezel!)?

o_O not sure where I put this initially. This site has been giving me problems the past couple days.

And no, I want two monitors for other things, multi desktop, streaming, rendering is INCREDIBLY helpful with increased screen space.

Ideally, I would like one monitor to game, and have the second for "extraneous" utilities such as above mentioned. Im not sure how that works exactly, still have some research.

The main reason Im asking about the 270x is simply... I have one already. If I can get 70% of the performance of a 780 for another 150 bucks, I mean I'm REALLY ok with that haha.

Two things this would be better answered in the AMD graphics section and second you'll probably want something with more power and VRam. I don't think 2Gb is enough for both monitors and ultra settings. If you click on the exclamation mark you can get this moved.

The vram was my main concern I suppose. Is there a way I can split the graphics cards into separate functions? Do I need to run crossfire? Can I have one for gaming and the other to be simply for another display? I know graphic workstations use 2 different cards (i.e. gt9800 and gtx 780ti is pretty common for color correction and graphic rendering). I don't really want to have the game suffer on dual monitor mode though.

If you are gaming on one screen, you are still ok, at least horsepower wise. Having a second monitor active during gaming will use more resources, even if it is only a little. 2GB at 1080p is really a minimum these days in a lot of AAA titles.

I mean, is what I'm asking possible? Probably need to bump up my ram to 16gb as well.

I'm just waiting for sales. I have to get ram for my brothers computer, hopefully I can find a monster bargain some point in the next few weeks

The difference should be negligible over your current 1080p monitor. Ty running whatever programs you plan to run on the second screen while playing and decide if the performance cost is there.

Back