• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 to 5gz, is that even possible? And can I do a safe 4500 with 1.4v and load temp below 65C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dofey

Registered
e8400 to 5gz, is that even possible? And can I do a safe 4500 with 1.4v and load temp below 65C

Ey,

Is it possible to do 5gz with e8400 on air?
Water cooling possibe?

Can I do my e8400 to 4500 with 1.4volt?
If I keep load temp below 65*C

Watercooling won't do it. You'd have to pump the voltage so high watercooling can't do it. If you can keep your load temps to 65C in benching situations (not the best for 24/7) sure why not try.

Not every chip/mobo/mem setup can do it. You have the best fastest mobo, a cherry chip, top notch ram and very very good cooling all you can do is try. At those levels of overclocking it's more of an art than easy science.

Ye, guess so.

OC'ing is sort of cool. :D

It was like, entering bios, increase FBS from 333 to 450, and there u go, brand new CPU. Wish I had learned a bit more about OC eariler :p

I can try 500*8.5 on Asus P5Q Deluxe and Triton 85 without risking my hardware if temps stay below 65C and idle on 40?

ive came close to 5ghz, on AIR.. but temps were VERY high ... i had 1.488 vCore. stable for about 10 minutes.

ive hit 5.05 ghz on phase though .. with 1.55vcore .. not very great for 24\7 nor gaming.

According to your sig your running at 4750 with 34 temp load?

You live in an igloo or?

its actually 4275 ( 475*9=4275) @ 1.3Vcore , a 4000 RPM fan, + 22C ambient , and a case temp of 22.45C

EDIT typo

ye, right... It's 2.24 am here :/

a bit ot but: I see you have ssd from ocz. I'm thinking about buying this and have my OS on it. Is that a good idea? Will the boost from a 10k rpm > to ssd be noticed?

not really, SSD has basically NO response time , but it stutters.. Mine is starting to stutter BAD!

if you already have a 10k rpm , i say no

you don't get a great read\write speeds compared to a 10k Raptor. but as a boot drive it doesnt really matter as much.

The only problem with using as a boot drive is it freezes from the boot screen to the log in screen.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/07/21/ocz-ssd-vs-velociraptor/1

Ummm, watercooling will do 5ghz, but the problem with the 8400 is the low multiplier.

You will run into problems w/ the low multi (9) before temps. I run my E8400 @ 1.538v w/ watercooling and it stays about 25c from TJMax. The new E0's dont need even that much voltage to reach 5ghz (well atleast most). With an E8600, 5ghz is plenty doable (500x10) on water IMO.

E8400, not so much (555mhz FSB is really too much for stability).

4.5 takes 1.52v to be stable on my E0 I dont even want to know what it would take for 5ghz stable =)

Ummm, watercooling will do 5ghz, but the problem with the 8400 is the low multiplier.

You will run into problems w/ the low multi (9) before temps. I run my E8400 @ 1.538v w/ watercooling and it stays about 25c from TJMax. The new E0's dont need even that much voltage to reach 5ghz (well atleast most). With an E8600, 5ghz is plenty doable (500x10) on water IMO.

E8400, not so much (555mhz FSB is really too much for stability).

So what the CPU temp is 75C? That is quiet hot for a C2D.

And? Whats temperature have to do with anything if its stable and within spec?

Intel states 20c from TJ is the "max safe" limit and Im already proving that 1.45v + is plenty doable w/ these chips.

I think these chips can takea lot more punishment than most people think, but alot are just too worried about killing the chip.

Ive had my chip at over 1.5v for a full month, and it was at 1.48v for about 2 weeks before that, and 6 months it was running @ 1.38v.

So I dont believe in Intel's 1.368v "safe" limit :)

I was able to set 24/7 settings with my C revision E8400 at 4.5ghz. With the newest revision it should be a bit easier.

5ghz daily will require either chilled water or phase cooling though. It took a TOTL water setup for me to get 4.5ghz stable for 24 hours prime (1.504v I believe) and hitting 5ghz for a screenie took open windows with cold air and around 1.6v.
In the end I just dropped the FSB down to 450mhz and the chip ran at 4050mhz with just less than 1.4v. The difference between the 4ghz and 4.5ghz setting was almost negligible for me.

And? Whats temperature have to do with anything if its stable and within spec?

Intel states 20c from TJ is the "max safe" limit and Im already proving that 1.45v + is plenty doable w/ these chips.

I think these chips can takea lot more punishment than most people think, but alot are just too worried about killing the chip.

Ive had my chip at over 1.5v for a full month, and it was at 1.48v for about 2 weeks before that, and 6 months it was running @ 1.38v.

So I dont believe in Intel's 1.368v "safe" limit :)

If its hot, there might be no way to make it to 5Ghz stable and within spec. Hot = Decreased clocking abilities expecially at that high of speeds.

The next question is how warm is the NB and is it stable for say 560Mhz?

I know my E8400 is a cold runner and low voltage one at that. 1.225V from CPU-z for 4.05Ghz with temps around 42-45C full load, and she could do upwards of 4.3Ghz but my board was holding me back. No doubt these chips can move, the E0's have a better chance than the late C0's but even C0's clock nicely too. 5Ghz just might be a little too ambitious if its not on some good water cooling at least.

I have seen records set for highest fsb on chips but are there records for chips getting to a highest ghz? There would have to be I would think. Would be a fun competition.

well these 8400's are the best chips for FSB, i mean what other chip do you know of that can reach 600+ FSB????

to get 600+ FSB and 9x multi ... you must have a BeasT of a board , ( Tpower-45!) and be willing to push 1.6+Vcore.

max ive done was 1.57 on Phase. but that was for like 10 minutes...

Speedtime.Wing reached 710.37 MHz with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (45 nm) [Details]
MB : Biostar TPower I45 (Intel P45 rev A2) - RAM : OCZ 1024 MB

Boblemagnifique LN2 Ixtk reached 6761.43 MHz with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 (45 nm) [Details]
MB : Biostar TPower I45 (Intel P45 rev A2) - RAM : Crucial Technology 2048 MB

Back