• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soldering n00b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got myself all set up. New iron. Adjustable 20 30 40 50. Stand/sponge/base. Rosin soldering flux. .062 60/40 rosin core solder.

I got a couple gpus in the garage that are very likely to bite the big one in the name of learning.

Might want to grab some .022 solder as well, it can be tricky using thicker stuff on tiny resistors.

Ya, I thought I should get that too, then didn't. I'll pick some up next time I'm over that way. :)

Hey man welcome to ocf , I remember seeing you in the uk section of ocn and benchtec

I second that welcome. :) My girlfriend knows him (gulp, fiance I guess)... Saw me browsing hwbot the one day and was like "I WANT THAT OWL!"

+1 to the .022 solder, makes things alot less messy and better control over how much solder your adding=)

Ya, I painted up the card with LET after I was done, so not sure where that loose chunk went as I forgot to grab it after I saw it in the pics, but it probably just fell off on the floor. :)

The card ran well. Memory clocks stopped at 1050MHz, but I didn't screw around much with memory voltage yet, which is what the mods are for... So hopefully I can find more headroom. I could really use something like 100MHz more on the memory, but that is probably rather greedy.

Core stopped at 1025MHz with 1.362V applied. Tried a bit with 1.4V but that didn't get me any further.

It likes cold down to -130C, then starts artifacting pretty heavily, so no full pot benching on it.

My bench scores so far are lousy on it, as I was benching without hwbot access (their server was offline for about 24hrs), but my clocks and certain subtest results indicate with some LOD tweaks, a driver switch, and maybe one other change, I should be able to put up a couple top scores with it. :rock: If the memory gets further, it should help.

I'm glad that you got he card up and running. I hope that the one pad was the only one that needed to be resoldered - it was the only one I had real trouble with if I remember correctly.

Yup, that was it. Volt control was working on the mem, I just couldnt find any changes that helped. I was being a sissy tho. I like to take it easy until I get satisfactory scores, and I wasn't to that point yet. Tonight I will be hurting it tho.

Referring back to this now. Very helpful input. Using it again on my first card I'm modding from scratch. Already have vgpu done, but doing ocp mod now, and maybe memory as well.

Back