• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new BOINC Version 7.0.64/.65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clutch_Head

my client gave me a notice about a new version.

" Incompatibility warning for return to BOINC 6

Due to changes to BOINC on how client_state.xml is written to, once you have gone over to 7.0, you cannot return to 6 without getting problems. We strongly suggest making a backup copy of the data directory before upgrading to the new build just in case something happens and you need to roll-back to an earlier build of BOINC."

"When you've updated to BOINC 7.0.64/.65, coming from BOINC 7.0.28 or before, AND when crunching work on an anonymous platform GPU application (such as the ones from Lunatics), you have a good chance that all your work errs with a 197 (0xc5) EXIT_TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED error.

Known issues with BOINC 7.0.64/.65 and Seti when updating from BOINC 7.0.28 or before and getting 197 (0xc5) EXIT_TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED errors on anonymous platform GPU
This is because of an addition to the code in BOINC 7.0.33, where when you run the anonymous platform and you have not supplied a flops value in your app_info.xml file, that the flops value used for GPU tasks is increased by a factor of 10.

It will only affect old work still in cache from before the upgrade. Any newer work your BOINC downloads, will not be affected.

Two ways to work around this:
1. Before you upgrade, set No New Tasks and run your cache empty. Report all. Then upgrade to the new version and set Allow New Tasks.
2. Done the upgrade with a full cache? Reset the project. This will throw away all present work in cache, but since the project has resend lost work available, your tasks will be resent to you and seen as new work. "

i may try this today. set to "no new tasks" run all work. backup data folder.
then upgrade.

i'm curious how well the GPU apps are written.

[:sn: edit] ok i finished the WU's in my cache. backed up my BOINC data folder.
uninstalled lunatics/BOINC. installed 7.0.64/Lunatics. new cache system seems
to be working as intended. Einstein@home WU's are not uploading as soon as they are finished.

now if i could only get some SETI work from Berkeley. :-/
crunching some SETI WU's and everything seems to be working. [/:sn:edit]

Last edited:
Back