• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project]Kratus - Custom VRM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Hello everyone, and welcome to the official announcement of Kratus.

9kaAf.png

Project Description:
Kratus is a custom designed Voltage Regulator Module (VRM) that has been completely designed from the ground up on an FPGA. It is controlled by a remote control, and offers a crazy variety of options. The goal for this project is to design a new voltage controller for Extreme Overclockers in mind. This has been an on going project for the past year. My team and I have been working very hard, and we will soon be showing a demo late this year.

What's this all about?
For the final year of my bachelors degree in computer engineering at Missouri University Science and Technology, as a class, we are asked to create a product. This can be any product that you and your team comes up with, or a company can give you guidelines and "hire" your team to build their product. I had thought about this since I started my first year at my university. I am very excited to be working on this project, and so is my team. I have 2 computer engineers, and 1 electrical engineer helping me out. I presented to them this crazy idea of building not only our very own VRM, but also a powerboard and controller with it.

Now for the moment you have been waiting for, Kratus!

KmO8f.jpg

Yeah, it may not look much right now, but there is a lot to it. This is what I can show you right now.

Product Information:

Kratus has two parts to it, Hephaestus and Bia. Hephaestus is the power board with the onboard VRM. It will feature a 12+2 Phase system, and a large range of voltage capabilities. We are aiming to make this a high power output board, so somewhere past 60A a phase is our goal. The VRM is customly designed by Dolk, and the goal for the VRM is flexibility but never overlooking how to control the flexibility. With high strain situations under Extreme Overclocking, the VRM will be able to keep up with any demand and continue to pump out the desired voltage you ask of it.

Bia is the controller. Bia will be connected to Hephaestus via USB. It features a bright LCD screen and four buttons to navigate with the menu. Profile saving, and startup profiling will be available. Already, I can tell you this much about what you will be able to control with Bia: Core Voltage, Memory Voltage, Switching Frequency, Number of Output Phases.

One of the unique features with Kratus is that you will be able to control how many phases are active on Hephaestus. This feature has been very interesting to work with so far. I hope to show more about this and results in the upcoming future.

Kratus is intended for Extreme Overclockers in mind, but this does not mean we have forgotten about the everyday overclockers, or the those that like to have fun every now and then. It is our intention to make Kratus a user friendly tool. A lot of information about how to setup and work with this tool will be provided.

Welcome to the future of overclocking.

Project Log:
10/23: Introduction and information released to public.
11/15: Boards went into production today. They will be put together after the Thanksgiving break.

F&Q:
Day and Night

Last edited:
nice work. very interested in seeing what the final product looks and works like.

I should synthesize more often... this is going to take a while.

Uwgvs.png

Error: Can't fit design in device
>MAKE STUFF SMALLER
Calculating...

I'm working on a section that has to be asynchronous that produces a synchronous environment for the rest of the environment. So it being 100% accurate is very important to me. I decided that I would go ahead and use this design for now, but in the future work on getting it down.

I sent one out, and got something in.

Our first 4 phase test board.
FubAE.png

The new FPGA for our project
Gleel.jpg

New board in design. I'm hoping to finish it this week.

lkzNqc3.png

Back