• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I bought more ram slightly different in specs, how to make it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimson1566

I bought more ram for the setup in my sig. I could no longer purchase the ocz I already had so I bought some gskills. Both are ddr2 but other specs differ. How do I get them both to work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Timing 5-5-5-15
Cas Latency 5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK
DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Timing 5-5-5-18
Cas Latency 5
Voltage 2.1V - 2.2V

You could just stick them in the rig and manually set the timings to that of the OCZ RAM, actually, the motherboard should set both sets to match the slower OCZ RAM anyway.

Best to buy the same RAM, but setting them manually should suffice.
Just run memtest after to make sure they are stable. :)

I went into the bios and set the timings to 5-5-5-18 and the frequency to 800. It's still not working though. I left the dram voltage on auto

Slower modules in first and third slot... Faster modules in second and fourth slots.

I've seldom had much luck with mixed modules :-/

Generally memory is not guaranteed to run if you use two different sets of the same memory. I might work and it might not. Best to go ahead and get that memory in one single set being whatever you choose as your capacity. :D

My personal preference would be out side of Dominator platinum's, would be G.skill Trident X...

The OCZ with higher clockrates. ;)

FSB is on the motherboard.

Ya, I meant dram frequency. It's been awhile since I've used or read these terms. I set the frequency to 800 like the gskills and timings to that of the ocz. I put the voltage to 2 and windows still won't start. Hangs on the screen with the window and says attempting repairs

Ocz is in 1,3 position and gskills is in 2,4 position

I found that my OCZ PC6400 was labelled 5-5-5-15 on the box, but its SPD said it was 5-5-5-18, and it couldn't run as fast as Samsung PC6400 6-6-6-18.

Have you tried running different modules in each channel, rather than matching them in each channel? Sometimes that will make the motherboard default to the slower module's parameters.

all the ram together didn't work. Ill try different channels. I had to reformat window 8 partition and reinstall because i got stuck in a repair loop. if i use one set at a time in positions 1,3 they will both work to get to windows. I assume that means the new ram is good.

One more time just for grins... Most manufactures don't even guarantee the same memory if not bought as a set to be compatible.

I see you only using one or the other, but definitely not both. If you require x amount of memory it's best to purchase it as a set.

Good Luck!

I found that my OCZ PC6400 was labelled 5-5-5-15 on the box, but its SPD said it was 5-5-5-18, and it couldn't run as fast as Samsung PC6400 6-6-6-18.

Have you tried running different modules in each channel, rather than matching them in each channel? Sometimes that will make the motherboard default to the slower module's parameters.

This worked, as well as bumping voltage. I then had to change from win 8 back to win 7 since win 8 kept getting stuck in an error loop and never let me back into windows. Once I installed a 64 bit win 7 I was pretty much fine. I still get a blue screen every now and then when win crashes but a reboot and I'm fine. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back