• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ST6 or VH6T?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
I'm looking at upgrading a system and I need some opinions, which board would be better? The ST6 and VH6T have both yielded excellent results, and I'm looking for some reasons for either. Also, should I try hunting down one of those ol' Gigabyte GA60XET's or isn't it worth it? I haven't seen one those in a long time. What do you guys think?

Either of the 2 ABit board will do the job quite nicely. Obviously, if you were to ask my opinion, I'd tell you to get the ST6 :D I wouldn't even bother trying to find that rare Gigabyte board. Not worth the suffering when the ST6 is just as good, cheap, and available freely :D

Yes...go for the ST6....it's an excellent board.

The VH6T is a very good board too....practically the same with ST6
but with a Via chipset...(keep in mind as a 2nd option).

I prefer the ST6 cause of the Intel chipset.....it performs better and perhaps more stable.

TASOS said:
.....and if you feel like beeing UNIQUE & FANCY....try to get the
"Casper" version :)

The difference is the casper has on board graphics and you can only get it in Asia.

ST6, the Intel chipset is much better than the Via chipset found on the VH6t.

Alright, thanks for the opinions. I was leaning towards the ST6 myself but I've seen great OC's out of all of them and was wondering if the VH6T had any advantages over the ST6. I've always liked Intel's chipsets.

jazztrumpet216 said:
Alright, thanks for the opinions. I was leaning towards the ST6 myself but I've seen great OC's out of all of them and was wondering if the VH6T had any advantages over the ST6. I've always liked Intel's chipsets.

Their pretty much equal in performance. If you want to stuff your motherboard to the gills with RAM, get the VH6T. Many say that you'll get higher memory benchies with the ST6, because of the Intel chipset, but I think that is pretty negligable unless you care about raw numbers.

TASOS said:

Nope....no onboard graphics
...and it's available in many countries in Europe

I assumed it had onboard graphic cause it is a 815E-B not a 815Ep-B if that makes any sence:confused:

You cannot get that here in the US!

Bonka said:

Their pretty much equal in performance. If you want to stuff your motherboard to the gills with RAM, get the VH6T. Many say that you'll get higher memory benchies with the ST6, because of the Intel chipset, but I think that is pretty negligable unless you care about raw numbers.

In may case I found that the VH6t will give better memory scores in SisoftSandra anyway. @ 133fsb I get about 1020 on the vh6t and the st6 scores about 960 so from my testing the vh6t is slightly better in memory bandwith but the st6 is slightly more stable at max oc's though.

davefred99 said:

In may case I found that the VH6t will give better memory scores in SisoftSandra anyway. @ 133fsb I get about 1020 on the vh6t and the st6 scores about 960 so from my testing the vh6t is slightly better in memory bandwith but the st6 is slightly more stable at max oc's though.

Well...its the chipset that boosts the mem performance
So i doubt that the Via chipset can outperform the Intel one.

TASOS said:

Well...its the chipset that boosts the mem performance
So i doubt that the Via chipset can outperform the Intel one.

Tasos
I would have thought that the intel 815 (st6) would outperform the via 694 (vh6t) also but my testing did not support that. I have both motherboards currently and have swapped memory and cpu,s between the two and the vh6t consistently outperforms the St6 in memory benchmarks according to Sisoft Sandra by more than 5%. I do not know af anyone else who has compared them as completely as I have. As I said originaly the st6 is slightly better for max oc stability but not memory bandwithl.

Another reason to perhaps go with the VH6T instead of the ST6 is that it has 1- ISA slot, if you are still using an ISA modem or something else that is ISA.

muddocktor

gotta disagree on this one, for BEST performace, avoid isa at all causes, although i was temped to purchase vh6t cuz i loved my sweet AWE64 too much..:D anyway, i'd say go for st6, cuz i can oc to the same speed with far less pain, and stable as hell.

Back