• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Celeron 1.2 - what's wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayik

I use MBM to monitor temps. I changed the fan on the hsf. After doing that reported temps went from 41 C to 73 C! Re did the hsf fan (which is an AX-7 w panaflo 39 cfm) and temps stayed the same. Put on the stock intel hsf and temps stayed the same.

However, rig is stable. Before once 46 C was reached it would bsod or re boot. Sandra stress test ran ok (though I would only do it 1 time stressed).

If temp was accurate, it should shut down. Are the temps accurate? (Sandra reports temps of 76.5 !!!). Would the cpu even run if that high? If they are not accurate temps, will it affect performance (throttling?).

I'm posting this now on a rig reading 73C. Thanks for the input.

feel the temp with your fingers, 70C should be hot to touch, if it's only warm, then something wrong with your temperature probe, it is right under your cpu, take it off and see if it is damaged

If you're talking about the ST6, I thought they used an on-die sensor as opposed to a thermosister?

Try reseating the AX-7.

Bonka, I believe that you are correct about the ST6 reading the on-die sensor. Rayik, I would definitely try reseating the AX-7, and then try to wiggle it and make sure that it is making full contact with the CPU. I recently had this same problem with my AX-7. I reseated it about 3-4 times, before I realized that it was not making full contact with the CPU.

same problem

as i have the ax-7 and 1.2ghz celeron. MBM says 163f but bios reads 114f. I think mbm is ****ed for the st6!? Also i tried to overclock to 133 and nothing posted does that mean it can not due it? or is it cause of heat.

Celeron 1.2ghz retail Malay
fpo- q205a238
pack date 4-22-02 (if my cpu is this new should it not have a better chance to overclock?)

On the ST6, the temperatures reported will usually report higher for people who were use to motherboards using the thermosister. I believe the on-die sensor reads the cpu temperature much more accurately than the diode. MBM should work fine with the ST6. I haven't had any problems with this board.

Evilsizer:
When you up the front side bus, did you also up the voltage as well as change the dividers to 4:4:1? If you didn't, chances are, that's what's causing the problem you are having. It could also be heat related, but first match the temperatures reported in the ST6 BIOS with the temperatures given from MBM. They should both be the same.

Those of you that are have high temps, are you all sure that you have the correct temperature sensor set up in MBM for the CPU. On mine I have the CPU set as Winbond 2 P2-Diode, which give the correct cpu temp (checked with winbond program and Sandra) and the case temp as Winbond 1. All other sensors should not be assigned (unless you have a external probe plugged in).

hmmm

Bonka: yes i uped the voltage i did the vidpin mod right now runing 1.2 @ 1.6v i did have it running at 1.5ghz @1.7v but IE explorer crashes on me when i start it up. I tried to burn in cpu at that 1.5 @ 1.7v but 3dmark2001se crashed but seti was still running. I had 3dmark running in demoloops. Mbm does not let me select p2 diode. But i prolly also need to reinstall windows. My temps at 1.2 @ 1.6v is 49c idle max 50c ax-7 with sunon 39cfm. I thought that 39cfm would be more than enough , if not fan adapter time. I dont like the noise of the delta is sound like a plane takeing off. Yes i also changed dividers whe i upped fsb 4:3:1 i tried 4:4:3 but got a siren noise fsb was 125.

Any ideas or suggions for getting to my goal of 1.6ghz are welcome.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Re: hmmm

Evilsizer said:
Bonka: yes i uped the voltage i did the vidpin mod right now runing 1.2 @ 1.6v i did have it running at 1.5ghz @1.7v but IE explorer crashes on me when i start it up. I tried to burn in cpu at that 1.5 @ 1.7v but 3dmark2001se crashed but seti was still running. I had 3dmark running in demoloops. Mbm does not let me select p2 diode. But i prolly also need to reinstall windows. My temps at 1.2 @ 1.6v is 49c idle max 50c ax-7 with sunon 39cfm. I thought that 39cfm would be more than enough , if not fan adapter time. I dont like the noise of the delta is sound like a plane takeing off. Yes i also changed dividers whe i upped fsb 4:3:1 i tried 4:4:3 but got a siren noise fsb was 125.

Any ideas or suggions for getting to my goal of 1.6ghz are welcome.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Your temps of 49-50c load are probably correct for the st6 using the on die temp probe . Go to the link at www.articsilver.com that discusses how to calibrate your temps to match other non on die readings. In my case I found that if I subtracted obout 7-10c from the on die temps it matched the readings I get from my other vh6t mobo that uses an on board therister temp sensor. I currently am running at 132fsb bios setting but it is actualy 133fsb according to cpuid. I had to set my vcore to 1.8v to get it stable at the speed. So far this is the fastest 100% stable setting for me. I also run my divider at 4:4 and my Kingmax pc150 @ 2-2-2. See my sig for other info, Good luck

well actually in bios the idle is 45c ,load 49c that is at 1.2 @1.6v

i need to do the burn in process first. do you guys think that with that 39cfm fan i can hit 1.6ghz or even 1.7ghz

added later- i have it running at 1.5ghz 125fsb @ 1.6volts
diveder 4:3:1 even if fsb set to 133 with the 4:4:1 it does not count ram

Last edited:
I think I found the problem. I think it is MBM.

I did Edward2's suggestion and reseated the AX-7. Temps were still 73 in MBM. I put in an old Celeron 900 and MBM showed temp as 73! I did toastedzerging's suggestion and the hs was not at all warm.

I then did funnyperson1's suggestion and looked at temp in BIOS. On startup BIOS reported temp of 40 C. Immediately after booting, MBM then showed temp of 73 !! Interestingly, if I opened Sandra without MBM running, Sandra would show temp of about 43. Keeping Sandra running, when MBM was opened, Sandra's temp would instantly change to 76 !

I removed MBM.

Why would MBM seemingly go bad? Then only hardware change I made was changing the mouse. I put in a Microsoft Optical Mouse at the same time I changed the fan on the heat sink. I also installed the Intellipoint program (which I removed along with MBM). Why that would cause a change is beyond me.

Thanks for the response. I just won't use MBM. Probably no need to as BIOS can be set to alarm at any temp from 30C on up.

In the advanced section of MBM there is a
"Dont reset sensor on startup" item or something
like that.

Try changing that setting from whatever it is at now.

Back