• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox 8rda3+ vs 8rda+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rulezzz

Registered
People i wan to to know is it a big differance between these 2 boards??Will cpu overclock as good at 8rda+ as at 8rda3+??And what is the maximum MHZ rate that these boards could run at?

It all depends on the 8RDA+'s...especially what revision...I had 3 8RDA+'s and none of them would do over 193FSB without modding it...VDD and VDIMM mods...

I have no idea on the 8RDA3+ for the simple fact...the 3 8RDA+'s ruined Epox for me when it comes to NF2 motherboards...

but if you happen to know what revision the 8RDA+ is...that information would help...

Ive had both and feel the 8RDA is a solid board but no match for the 3 when OCing and features are considered. The SATA support makes the 3 worth the upgrade by itself and the native 200+ Mhz FSB speed is icing on the cake. If your getting good OC's already and dont need SATA then theres no point to upgrading....

A new 8RDA3+ rev3.x with dual buck phase voltage regulation will hit 240MHz FSB out of the box every time without failure given the use of good NForce 2 compatible memory that is capable of that speed (check with NVidia for compatibility).

As for 8RDA+, in it's present revision - 2.2; it is every bit as capable as the 8RDA3+.

Get ready in the next couple of weeks to see EPoX 8RDA6+Pro reviews around the web with MCP1000 southbridge.

glock19owner said:
It all depends on the 8RDA+'s...especially what revision...I had 3 8RDA+'s and none of them would do over 193FSB without modding it...VDD and VDIMM mods...

I'll coroborate this. I can't push mine any higher w/out a VDD mod. However, I have a revision 1.1, and anything below 2 has the same issue. 2.x and above fixed this issue.

wild_andy_c said:
A new 8RDA3+ rev3.x with dual buck phase voltage regulation will hit 240MHz FSB out of the box every time without failure given the use of good NForce 2 compatible memory that is capable of that speed (check with NVidia for compatibility).

As for 8RDA+, in it's present revision - 2.2; it is every bit as capable as the 8RDA3+.

Get ready in the next couple of weeks to see EPoX 8RDA6+Pro reviews around the web with MCP1000 southbridge.

is there any more info on this 8rda6+ u know of?

Oni said:
I'll coroborate this. I can't push mine any higher w/out a VDD mod. However, I have a revision 1.1, and anything below 2 has the same issue. 2.x and above fixed this issue.

It can't be an issue of the product given that it is merely a limitation of the chipset revision used and a lack of VDD adjustment in those early models. Given that it's not possible to buy plain SPP128 EPoX mainboards or boards without VDD adjustment (even in mATX) this apparent issue really doesn't have much in the way of legs.

I've had both, my 8RDA3+ will go up to 215, but then my memory craps out. I ordered some new XL mem, and I think I have a rev 1.0 8rda3+

wild_andy_c said:

Will the rev. 3.x 8RDA3I do this also? Does it have the same "dual buck phase voltage regulation "?

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Also, another question, if you would.

How high will the rev. 2.1 8RDA3+ go, FSB-wise with BH-5 based PC3200 or PC3500?

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
my old 8rda+ 1.1 went 195 stable with the stock northbridge heatsink, i put a sk6+ on it and that put it at 210
how do you up the FSb past 166? - becuase that the highes in the list (in the bios)

- cos i have a 2600+ (tbred) @ 166*12.5=2088mhz

wild_andy_c said:

where can i find out what version mine is
my bios was feb 04 when i got it if that helps
i know that a hole lot of bits have changed since me first board

wild_andy_c said:

where can i find out what version mine is
my bios was feb 04 when i got it if that helps
i know that a hole lot of bits have changed since me first board

got pics of difference here
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=291105

Oni said:

AAAAAAAActually...

my 1.1 is doing fine at 220 as i'm typing this - no VDD/voltage mods either... just a new NB HS and moved the NB HS onto the SB...

but it seems i may be the minority here 0_o

hutchin said:
how do you up the FSb past 166? - becuase that the highes in the list (in the bios)

- cos i have a 2600+ (tbred) @ 166*12.5=2088mhz

I think you need to change an option somewhere in the "advanced chipset features" menu to allow you to tweak the FSB more precisely... it's near the top...

i'll check and edit this on the next reboot ;)

EDIT: ok your options are optimal, aggressive, turbo, and expert at the top of the menu "advanced chipset features"... you need to set that to expert to alter your fsb in the way you want ;)

Last edited:
I have a version 1.1 with the as2 pre-crush chip and still get 200 fsb.My memory would crap out at any voltage setting higher then the default.I think it would do higher but my locked Barton will only get 2200 before it errors out.I added passive heatsinks to the mosfets around the cpu as they will overheat the nearby capacitors, causing voltage instabilities.All voltages had to be set to default or lower to get past 166 to 200.

Back