• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED EMI shielding anyone have experience?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

Looking for source material to enlighten myself as to the application of EMI shielding.

critical components to address, methods and materials.

I'm an EMI sponge for knowledge.

if you have any development experience then please share :thup:

Last edited:
looking to lower the radiation within the computer. screening an output card from its immediate environment in an effort to lower S/N ratio.

lowering antenna effect on internal cabling.

screening oscillators, noisy IC... etc.

the goal being an improvement in working environment for the signal to be generated and passed on.

not to worry... researched the various standards and ordered materials.
:chair: foil hat and a ground wire for me...

fully shielded v semi floating.
ponder if there's any advantage to pulling the unwanted energy away from the signal termination over a full Faraday implementation?

Can I ask, what are you trying to gain from this? There is some protection in most signals internally due to the simple fact that they are digital opposed to analog, as well as a fair amount of filtering and built in error correction on components that need it. If you are worried about line noise from something analog such as an internal sound card, wouldn't it just be easier to pick up an external DAC and call it a day?

Or is this all just hypothetical "if then" discussion?

Edit: by your OP, I'm guessing it's the latter. Sorry :D

So I downloaded a white paper on digital design.
looked into the various grades of implementation.
and got my foil, drain wire, copper ground plane mesh, EMI polymer abosrber... insulation etc.

DSC_0660.JPG

and im playing nicely... thanks all :thup:

edit: I bought all my ferrite`s a couple of years back... slow project.

Can I ask what this is for? I can comment to some degree on it, but without context, its harder for me to say. o_O Turning your computer into a faraday cage may not be the most prudent method here haha.

FWIW, a quick "DIY" method of checking the quality of your EMI shielding is using your cell phone.

FWIW, a quick "DIY" method of checking the quality of your EMI shielding is using your cell phone.

I wrote that cell phone test in the general discussion too. :)

in short I am reducing various effects and implementing medical/military grade materials and methods of noise suppression.

accumulative terms its reaching my goal. been happy bunny with the differences its made over the past week.

I think once the rejected energy is in the right place I will try a grounding station to drain the unwanted nasties away from other equipment and further improve the integrity of my treasured digital signal.

Last edited:
Well... I won't be a nay-sayer! Interested in seeing your results, on whatever it is you're trying to do.

Personally, I'm working on a machine I'd like to use for hi-fi audio... and considering using a flexable PCI / PCIe riser and then placing the sound card in it's own enclosure. Yes, I know of SPDIF and USB solutions... but from what I read, there are some great internal options... why not try one of those and improve upon it? :)

Asking why a question was asked, or saying there's no point in trying is a great way to make yourself seem knowledgeable while being further in the dark than the OP.

Well... I won't be a nay-sayer! Interested in seeing your results, on whatever it is you're trying to do.

Personally, I'm working on a machine I'd like to use for hi-fi audio... and considering using a flexable PCI / PCIe riser and then placing the sound card in it's own enclosure. Yes, I know of SPDIF and USB solutions... but from what I read, there are some great internal options... why not try one of those and improve upon it? :)

Asking why a question was asked, or saying there's no point in trying is a great way to make yourself seem knowledgeable while being further in the dark than the OP.

I will pm you after ive finished watching this film. I can point you to some resource material and give you a run down of my findings and modifications.

I hope you get to employ some of the materials im experimenting with.
its not costly in modifying terms and I hope you will find these measures accumulate in effect to give a more natural analogue presentation.

I think the biggest set back with pc as a true source component is the sonic signature that carries from power and ground.

and yes usb gets a lot of attention these days but really the industry should focus on good power to digital spdif as opposed to a side step.

usb is great but we should be able to eliminate the need if we took its strengths and analyse the conditions that enable it to out perform most internal spdif solutions.

oh and when you look for that PCI riser... get a good one with an inclusive ground shield. I can also show you how to modify and ground it safely myself. (I shielded the riser myself in my situation)

codename frankenputer lol

Vlink 192 - replacing soon with audiobyte hydra x+ (dsd usb dac 24bit 384KHz)
DSC_0681.JPG

sotm linear power (custom spec. thanks sotm)
DSC_0682.JPG

Violectric V800 24bit 192KHz dac (soon to be modified I think)
DSC_0683.JPG

DNM 3C (prototype 3B board before it became official)
DSC_0684.JPG
3C power
DSC_0685.JPG

DNM 40w 3D power amp (high tolerance version)
DSC_0686.JPG
its power...
DSC_0687.JPG

wilson benesch - series 2 square two
DSC_0689.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG

gives me a pretty wide bandwidth bottom line on whats going on :)

mostly dnm cables throughout. usb cable is clearer audio`s silver line with super suppressors (decent ferrites)
the aes ebu cable is a chord reference cable.

about $42,000 as a quick tot up... fair habbit :/

thats the main system... I have others

Last edited:
on a further note I would love to make all the atx cables from a single solid core wire. lower there magnetic field. suspect it would have to be an unfriendly gauge wire to handle the load though.
maybe one day...

Back