• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to SSD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2xNEHALEMx2

ON A BUDGET! the SSD was the cheapest 60 GB one i could find. i dont have a 2.5" slot in my case so im getting this:

http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-SDP08-3-5-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002BH3Z8E/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

EDIT: im getting this instead OCZ:

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4791934&CatId=4147

ITS BACK DOWM TO 154 DOLLAH!!!!!

RECENT EDIT: I FOUND A REAL PERFORMANCE REASON TO GO SSD!

loom at this HORRIBLE benchmark from my HDD! LOOK AT ACCESS TIMES

Attachments

• disk.JPG
    disk.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I wish I had the time to go into more detail but I've got to run so I'll make this quick and another member will most likely expand on it for you. Not all SSDs are made equally and you seriously need to watch what you pay for. SSDs that are not based off of Indilix, Samsung or Intel controllers tend to be crap and have the potential to cause stuttering during multi tasking or even regular PC use. I'm pretty certain that the Filemate is not a good SSD. My recommendation would be to save up some more and get a drive based off of the controllers I listed above. Examples include the Vertex (Indilix), Corsair drives (Samsung) and the X25-M (Intel).

If you have the time, I suggest reading through anandtech's excellent SSD roundup: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

I fully agree with Ashura, i got a OCZ core V2 120GB SSD 3 months ago to install win 7 RC, initially all was well and everything was snappy and fast.

Fast forward to 3 months and now, am sitting in front of a P2 like system, open Chrome it stutters, browse a page and open another tab, there is a lag, anything i do on it is now so irritating, tried all the tweaks for SSDs, CC cleaner and stuff, but no help, so in the end i got the WD raptor to install win 7 when it arrives.

So you would be better off doing some good research on the SSDs before investing your money into it.

I couldn't find a single review of it, this is generally a sign to stay away from a product, at least until there are reviews out there anyways.

The G.Skill Falcon is an Indilinx drive and is usually priced lower than the Vertex, hence the reason I chose it. Performs beutifully.

I don't know anything about the Samsung based drives, to me the choice is between Indilinx based drives and Intel drives.

If its double the capacity of similarly priced drives there is something to keep away from.

Might be fast til it writes the first 60Gigs, after that all down hill.

Agility is a good choise ;)
Seeing as Agility has many different nand runs you could get one faster than Vertex :)

That is one heavy duty looking bracket !

are the OCZ solid series any good? i really like OCZ, so im sticking with them

im not getting a solid now, but just asking because i might want some more for RAID 0 (ICH9R)

Yes new Solids GenII comming out are good thay will have the Indilinx controllers insted of the Gen1 Solids that had Jmicron controllers...

The OCZ Vertex is a good drive, it's essentially identical to the G.Skill Falcon. Same indilinx controller and the same memory chips used. The only difference between the drives is one has a jumper to use while flashing firmware and the other doesn't.

Get whicher is cheapest or has the best warranty. The G.Skill Falcon has a 5 year warranty.

i cant afford the agility anymore.... its $185 now. probably gunna get a 32 GB drive (FROM OCZ + GEN2) and use my 320 GB for storage. good thing SSDs use barely any power, if they used as much power as HDDs my 250W PSU wouldnt be good enough.

32GB isn't really big enough. You need 64GB at least. I'd have got a 120GB if I could afford it but 60 is the least you want to go really.

i cant afford the agility anymore.... its $185 now. probably gunna get a 32 GB drive (FROM OCZ + GEN2) and use my 320 GB for storage. good thing SSDs use barely any power, if they used as much power as HDDs my 250W PSU wouldnt be good enough.

A harddrive uses 7-8W at max. A SSD uses roughly 2-2.5W give or take a little.

If your that close to maxing out the PSU wow.

I agree with the prev poster who said don't go lower than 64GB. I've got a 64GB Vertex in my system and there is absolutely no way I could've got by with less. With the costs being so close together, I say skip the agility and get a Vertex. I believe there is a MIR on the Vertex now that makes it even cheaper than that $185 Agility. I paid $199 for mine about 6 months ago or so.

Seriously, if you're that close to maxing out your PSU you really ought to get a new one. If you can spare the $ I recommend going to something made by Corsair or Seasonic, however if you need on on the cheap you can likely get by on a Topower unit. Not in the same class as the other two but its still not a complete piece of cr@p either.

My understanding is Topower is the OEM for many OCZ and Tagan PSU's. Maybe check this modular unit out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817342016&cm_re=topower-_-17-342-016-_-Product

If you can afford to spend a little more then this Seasonic unit is priced right: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=seasonic_power_supply-_-17-151-069-_-Product

It just sounds like you need the PSU more than you do an SSD right now.

I agree with the prev poster who said don't go lower than 64GB. I've got a 64GB Vertex in my system and there is absolutely no way I could've got by with less. With the costs being so close together, I say skip the agility and get a Vertex. I believe there is a MIR on the Vertex now that makes it even cheaper than that $185 Agility. I paid $199 for mine about 6 months ago or so.

You can think of the OCZ Vertex and G.Skill Falcon as interchangeable. They're essentially the same drive. Go with whichever is cheapest.

Last edited:
im using 223 watts give or take a few 100% full load on everything. total is 250 watts. ill probably be fine with the SSD and HDD running at the same time. i have very little files and i am using only ~26 GB with all my files and games. i AM getting windows 7 which uses WAY less space than vista so that should help. im getting CoD Modern warfare 2 as the only game im going to have besides the original crysis DEMO :)

i definitly wont be OK with 30-32 GB. i NEED at least 60 GB (with new controller i forgot name)

Last edited:
I figure running a system so close to its maximum voltage all the time just has to be bad news. If you lose the PSU there's a chance of it taking your other compoenents with it.

Agreed with others regarding the PSU, I would make upgrading that a priority over getting an SSD.

ive had it running fine for a over a year. the SSD will reduce power to 215 full load. this is FULL LOAD PSU USAGE! i never have my system at full load. and ive only benched ONCE in my life with 3dmark06 DEMO.

Back