• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does having 2GB of RAM boost frames per second over 1GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't imagine it using 4GB of ram. You can have too much ram...in other words more than the other hardware can actually utilize due to bandwidth restrictions. You would have to increase the FSB size and speed to accomodate the ram. I can see 1 - 1.5 GB, but no more.

KnownKiller said:
Oh and i've also seen ananatech or whatever ya wana call it use 4GB of ram in the test rig.. Not saying you need that much but yeah its a very demanding game and needs lots of ram for cache and uses it thrashing the crap outa the hard drive to make up for what you dont have.
Four gigs?? I might be wrong, but I think they must be on an AMD64 then, isn't the technical limit for ram on older stuff 3 gigs?

i think most dual channel boards do 4GB, the IC7 does anyway. Doom3 just got here. I am going to do a format and wait for the new ati tool and the new vga silencer. but i promise i won't forget!

It depends on the games guys. I am a big player of Star Wars: Galaxies, and I can tell you from hands on experience that the game is a memory hog. I went from 1 gig of OCZ pc4000 DDR to 2 gigs of OCZ pc4000 DDR and there was a HUGE performance leap. The difference is especially noticeable in crowded areas where people tend to gather, like Coronet Starport, or Theed City.

The game would run smooth up until you hit those places, then the frame rate would drop noticeably. With 2 gigs, I havent come across a moment where I lagged out.

Doom3 however is reliant upon Processing power in the CPU and GPU. Read this link below:

CPU and Memory in Doom3

and

Video Cards in Doom3

These reviews go into a little bit on how Doom3 runs under different conditions using different setups. It's a pretty informational read.

tom10167 said:
Four gigs?? I might be wrong, but I think they must be on an AMD64 then, isn't the technical limit for ram on older stuff 3 gigs?

No. The limit for a 32-bit processor is 4GB.

cruc1fy said:
No. Not that is really matters any, the article you posted is the August 4th one. I posted pics from the August 7th "Buyer's Guide" at http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2156&p=1

ROTFLMAO....not at you cruc1fy, at the anandtech buyers guide.

Perhaps the built-in Demo1 does not stress the system enough to really reveal performance differences in total memory. We did check memory usage in the console and found Doom 3 used memory up to about 1.5GB if it was available, so we are puzzled why smaller memory amounts did not impact measured performance.

We are looking for more sophisticated methods to test the impact of total memory on Doom 3 performance.

how about try running the tests at high quality or ultra high quality and redoing your tests....what a bunch of dumb retards.
realy, who here is going to run this game in medium quality with a 9800 or a 6800 card like the tests show?.... :rolleyes:

and if anandtech doesn't understand how more detailed textures and uncompresed shaders add to memory useage, we of all people should.
I'm highly suprised that no one else pointed this out yet.

mica

micamica1217 said:
ROTFLMAO....not at you cruc1fy, at the anandtech buyers guide.

how about try running the tests at high quality or ultra high quality and redoing your tests....what a bunch of dumb retards.
realy, who here is going to run this game in medium quality with a 9800 or a 6800 card like the tests show?.... :rolleyes:

and if anandtech doesn't understand how more detailed textures and uncompresed shaders add to memory useage, we of all people should.
I'm highly suprised that no one else pointed this out yet.

mica

My thoughts exactly, only not quite as angry;)

Why he didn't run more then just medium settings is incomprehensible.

I said I would post it in another thread, but I think it got locked or deleted or merged or something.

With 512 mb of ram I couldn't run ultra settings, even at 1024 x 768. With 1 gig of ram I can run ultra settings at that odd resolution (its like 1120 x 860). FPS at 1280 x 1024 are still too low with ultra settings, but the 11XX x 8xx ain't bad.

Thats with 16x performance AF, 4x performance AA, no Vsync and all other OpenGL seettings at highest.

Pretty nice for a 9800 np, IMO.

Therefore, I deem the upgrade from 512 mb to 1 gig worthy. Now to see if 1 gig to 2 gigs is at all useful at high/ultra settings.

Last edited:
OC Noob said:
My thoughts exactly, only not quite as angry;)

Why he didn't run more then just medium settings is incomprehensible.

actualy, I'm not angry at all...I hope I didn't come off that way.

I just can't understand how reviewers are getting so....dumb lately.

IIRC, anandtech already messed up the farcry benchmarks at least once...
you'ld think that they would get smarter and start doing research on the topics they are talking about before misleading the public again.

I'm not saying that 2gigs of memory will be a "god send" for Doom3...
I'm just saying that if your going to run tests to inform the public about performance or other topics, at least "know" or understand what your doing.
anandtech is starting to look more and more like THG everyday. sad.

mica

micamica1217 said:
actualy, I'm not angry at all...I hope I didn't come off that way.

I just can't understand how reviewers are getting so....dumb lately.

IIRC, anandtech already messed up the farcry benchmarks at least once...
you'ld think that they would get smarter and start doing research on the topics they are talking about before misleading the public again.

I'm not saying that 2gigs of memory will be a "god send" for Doom3...
I'm just saying that if your going to run tests to inform the public about performance or other topics, at least "know" or understand what your doing.
anandtech is starting to look more and more like THG everyday. sad.

mica

I agree, why even bother testing with 2 gigs if you aren't going to use the textures (settings) that require large amounts of ram.

Pretty silly, IMO.

ps off topic, but what does IIRC and AFAIK (I think thats right) mean. I've seen them around and am clueless.

OC Noob said:
I agree, why even bother testing with 2 gigs if you aren't going to use the textures (settings) that require large amounts of ram.

Pretty silly, IMO.

ps off topic, but what does IIRC and AFAIK (I think thats right) mean. I've seen them around and am clueless.

I f, I, R emember, C orrectly...IIRC
A s, F ar, A s, I, K now....AFAIK

;)

mica

Back