• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3DM05 World Record: 16364!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Everybody that thinks they can beat him with the same hardware doesn't understand the amount of tweaking that goes into a 3dmark high score, only 3 people in this forum can maybe tweak as well as Shamino and those are El<(')>maxi, d]g[ts and Guatam.

Shamino also built those triple cascades by himself alot of times without the proper tools or training. He is one of the few people to ever build more than one functioning triple cascade.

Don't throw stones becuase you think 3dmark is stupid becuase these computers are benchmark queens your computer is probably dedicated to gaming heavy office usage would probably bring it down.

I wouldn't say 05 is that CPU limited...I mean, it is, but increasing your CPU clock does noticably increase your score, just not as much as increasing your GPU clock.
400mhz CPU with 7800s in SLI is worth about 1000points. 100mhz core is while CPU limited is worth about 700points.

Now they are also setting up software RAM drives and also Gigabyte's i-RAM cards as SATA RAID 0 arrays as their hard drive. Now those are whipping the likes of the WD 74GB Raptor by over 100:1.

Ad Rock said:
That's like saying why does F1 really need those cars, I mean they could do the race in Civics’. It’s about competition and trying to out-do you opponents not just doing/using what seems to be adequate. I for one enjoy seeing what a few crazy people with tons of resources and skill can pull out of hardware. But maybe that is just me :eh?:

I agree.

I understand that they want to run their games without a hitch. Just don't think it's absolutely necessary to buy a couple of those to do it. Maybe it is, dunno. I wouldn't mind having them though, but I'm fine with what I've got.

Somehow I don't feel imressed by this score or any of the 3dmark scores. Surely they are great. But what do they exactly measure that for $$$ amount of money you can build a system that will obtain that score, of course this system will be loud as hell, consume huge amount of electricty and probably won't play any games since it's only build to get 3dmark scores. It's like when you hear on news that a car broke new worlds land speed records, it a great news but you can't drive that car from your house to house next door.

Well, it takes some amount of skill and a lot of effort in addition to lots of money :).

It isn't all money... look at just a little bit of what is involved in setting that record:

~ Voltage modifying $1300 USD worth of video cards, and flawlessly
~ Tweaking system memory to a bencheable peak
~ Building a few three-phase cascades
~ Tweaking a few three-phase cascades to an operational charge (a lot of work)
~ Tweaking overvolts for the video cards and the processor to find bencheable peak speeds
~ Insulating everything, mounting everything
~ Not killing anything
~ Finding good hardware (I'll bet he went through ~4 FX-57s before he found one that would take ~-100C, or payed a premium).

Not just any random person with a truckload of money can accomplish all of the above to the same degree that Shamino just did. Overclocking is not plug and pray - everything always comes out differently, often with unexpected measures required to get it there. The tweaking trial-and-error likely involved in that world record is mind boggling :).

Pft, who needs sli 7800's to run 3Dmark05? I like the slideshow.

But on a serious note, congrats to the people who have the time and resources to make it even to the top 10 in these benchmarks.

Kind of like telling a stamp collector his million dollar stamp is not worth collecting.

I would love to have the resources to make a "true top end" computer. Benchmarking is just another aspect of our hobby. Tooting your E-weiner and having the boys to back it. Makes it that much more fun to do. :thup:
I don't get into it very often, but it is fun to compete in benchmarks every so often.

felinusz said:
Well, it takes some amount of skill and a lot of effort in addition to lots of money :).

It isn't all money... look at just a little bit of what is involved in setting that record:

~ Voltage modifying $1300 USD worth of video cards, and flawlessly
~ Tweaking system memory to a bencheable peak
~ Building a few three-phase cascades
~ Tweaking a few three-phase cascades to an operational charge (a lot of work)
~ Tweaking overvolts for the video cards and the processor to find bencheable peak speeds
~ Insulating everything, mounting everything
~ Not killing anything
~ Finding good hardware (I'll bet he went through ~4 FX-57s before he found one that would take ~-100C, or payed a premium).

Not just any random person with a truckload of money can accomplish all of the above to the same degree that Shamino just did. Overclocking is not plug and pray - everything always comes out differently, often with unexpected measures required to get it there. The tweaking trial-and-error likely involved in that world record is mind boggling :).

I really dont understand going threw that much time and trouble(let alone the money involved) to get a few extra points on some benchmark. IMO thats too much just to show your e-penis.

And yeah, Im a little bit jealous :p .

the majority of the people here @ ocforums are like marathon runners they build 24/7 rigs and shoot for the maximum overclock while being fully stable. the people over @ xtremesystems are like sprinters who just want to get the fastest 50 yard dash in.... which they do very well.

and also for what its worth i dont think shamino even plays games. i think he just builds rigs to bench doesnt he?

imho the sli 7800gtx is a bit of overkill for day to day gaming though. i can play all the games ive thrown @ it with 1680x1050 4xfsaa 16xaf and everything on veryhigh with supersamplingAA and all the candy turned on and still stay solid @ my vsyncs 60fps limit with everything but eq2 on the highest settings ingame and thats because of my system and video memory (1gig and 256mbs)
of course id still like to get another 7800gtx and a couple of pelts though :shrug: oh and i only score like 9k in 05 with this setup imagine what 16k could do for gaming (thats if it were 24/7 stable which i can assure you shaminos run wasnt or he didnt do it right ;) )

maybe after a couple more runs by him we can get him to give up the volt mods hes coveting so much!!

Yes, I agree computing to "us" is out hobby, instead of going and restoring a classic car we do computers. No no one needs 2 7800GTXs or FX-57 on a 1000 $ cascade but its what floats their boat, its fun for them just like restoring a car is fun for someone else. BTW Amaizing score!

i love tha forums :D
one day when im loaded... if im still into computers as i am today (or more) ill deff spend tha money too hehe
i wonder what this guy does for a living!

Shamino, I'm not sure He's a weird looking short dude though

Oppainter actually is a painter of what I'm not sure by day

Sampsa runs a hardware review site.

Macci I'm not sure but it definetly has got to be crazy considering he was the first bencher to use LN2.

PC Ice works at a refrigeration company

Chilly1 works at a refrigeration company also.

Everbody else I'm not really sure.

My goal is after the next four years of being a poor college student. That I can be a crazy engineer making the bucks to buy the hardware and having the skills and time to build the LN2 tubes and cascades. :)

Pheonix87

I really dont understand going threw that much time and trouble(let alone the money involved) to get a few extra points on some benchmark. IMO thats too much just to show your e-penis.

For plain and simple fun :).

Ad Rock said:
That's like saying why does F1 really need those cars, I mean they could do the race in Civics’. It’s about competition and trying to out-do you opponents not just doing/using what seems to be adequate. I for one enjoy seeing what a few crazy people with tons of resources and skill can pull out of hardware. But maybe that is just me :eh?:
VWP

Back