• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet Controller suddenly stoped working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowReaper

My motherboard (ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe) has 2 onboard ehternet controllers with nvidia chipset...

Everything worked fine but when I opened my pc i get the disconnected wire message.

I tried the following:

-changed the ethernet wire : didn't fix
-updated windows xp drivers: didn't fix again
-tried with linux : problem still remains
-set default settings in bios : again problem still remains

Windows and Linux find the ethernet port but when i plug the wire it is as if i do not plug anything (the leds do not light)

i also tried to connect the router with my laptop and it worked fine...

Any ideas?

Since you dont get any connection lights at all on either port with different wires it sounds like the ports may be dead.

Contact Asus and see what they say, more than likely you will need to RMA the board.

When I update to Nvidia chipset drivers package for my board, if I install the ethernet driver my internet just wont work, no idea why!

When I was with virgin media my internet wouldnt work with my integrated ethernet,no matter what I done, so I had to install a PCI card!

cant remember what version the chipset drivers where, 6.0 or something!

When I update to Nvidia chipset drivers package for my board, if I install the ethernet driver my internet just wont work, no idea why!

When I was with virgin media my internet wouldnt work with my integrated ethernet,no matter what I done, so I had to install a PCI card!

cant remember what version the chipset drivers where, 6.0 or something!

Yea, but I bet the lights still light up on yours.

@CGR never checked before but network card disappears from device manager untill I rollback the driver, I did read the thread was only trying to help! ; )

Last edited:
Well here is what I did and everything worked :

I disconnected the psu power cable and opened the pc. It started for 1 second (probably there was some electricity stored in the capacitors) and then it turned off.

When i pluged the cable back and opened the pc the ethernet was working fine:p

Back