• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many instances for 660 ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svirfnebli

Just got a new 660 ti... anyone have any experiences as to how many instances I can/should run?

I run 2 instances on a GTX570, but trial and error is probably the best answer.

Set it up for 2 or 3 and watch the completion times compared to 1 instance. There is a point at which total times will be greater than they would be for a single instance, that is when you have gone too far.

Be sure to reserve one CPU core for feeding the GPU first.

So three seems to be the magic number.. I THINK i set the CPU right.. I have 8 cores, so I set the CPU useage at 87.5% (100% / 8 cores = 12.5%). Does it require a particular core #? Do I need to set that seperately?

I have mine set at 87.5% as well and seems to do fine. I guess I could try it at 75% and use one whole physical core, though, I don't think it is necessary.

This is especially true as I don't even get enough CPU work units to keep my CPU busy.

You must edit your app_info.xml file located in your BOINC program directory. There will be a few lines that mention how many gpus to use. Default is value 1. You must change this to 0.5.

I don't seem to have an app_info.xml. I know I've seen it before as part of the optimized client from lunatics. I had to reinstall Boinc recently though and I couldn't download the optimized client because it seems to have been taken down from the lunatics site. Is there somewhere else I can download it or a template for creating an app_info.xml that will work?

Yeah looks like they have them down for some licensing issues. I wonder if there is another place to find them...?

Back