• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundcard for HTPC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teko

Registered
I recently picked up the Logitech z623 2.1 THX certified speakers for my HTPC (Dell Optiplex 755 w/on board audio) and was wondering which sound card would be a good option? Being that I'm using a small form factor system, it must be either USB or low profile PCI (low profile adapter included). This will be used primarily for movies and music occasionally. Or if you think using the on-board sound will suffice, let me know.

Specs if needed: Dell Optiplex 755 (Small Form Factor) / Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz / 4 GB RAM DDR2 / ATI Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3 / 2 TB WD Green / Windows 7 Home Premium (x86) / Running XBMC front end

Last edited:
:welcome:

I think the onboard sound should be fine. Soundcards start to be worthwhile in the $100 plus range, and that's a pretty high cost relative to the speakers. I doubt that your speakers will resolve well enough for the sound card to make a significant difference, especially considering TV audio isn't super high definition anyway.

Soundcards are a dead market for htpcs nearly now

Onboard is fine until higher prices as Johan says.

When you get to better speakers/receiver you will then just (usually) bitstream. So your sound card would do nothing to the sound then. Multiple motherboards and most new graphics cards offer this option over hdmi

I'm not sure why that card is so expensive.

It depends on the receiver. If the receiver takes digital input, then you might be able to get enough channels over the digital connection. Otherwise, it would make sense to have a 7.1 card, but I wouldn't spend $200 on it unless you spent $2000+ on the rest of the HT system.

@johan851,

I have budgeted $1500-$2000 for the receiver/speakers, and true 7.1 hd audio is a must. At the same time, while I can budget in a $200 audio card I don't want to if I don't have to. As long as I can get full hd surround out of games and movies, I will be happy.

@pwnmachine,

Do you get full 7.1 over hdmi from the 6950, and are there any issues with audio lag? I read somewhere that going from gpu --> receiver --> 7.1 surround would sometimes cause an audio lag for games/movies.

I had planned on using this mobo, so maybe the audio card is not needed?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131781
It says it has Realtek ALC887 and 8 Channels, I am still a bit fuzzy as to whether or not that translates to the true digital hd audio I am looking for.

Last edited:
I get full 8 channel audio over hdmi thru my gtx570, and it sounds "ok", not much better then onboard audio, wich is borderline terrible tbh.. I did not notice any lag, I guess thats what that button on the remote is for :D

I very much prefer my auzentech useing its coax out.

But keep in mind, my Marantz is from 07, so it cant do some of the cooler things the newer amps can.

^ In that case the reason for poor sound is the receiver, not the digital signal itself. So to be clear, it's not like HDMI is bad, but rather that it puts the burden on the receiver for good sound.

Last edited:
^ In that case the reason for poor sound is the receiver, not the digital signal itself. So to be clear, it's not like HDMI is bad, but rather that it puts the burden on the receiver for good sound.

This. The receiver is key to good sound through HDMI.

You could also resort to a DAC which would definitely improve sound immensely, particularly with high powered setups.

Yup. A DAC is a standalone version of the part in the receiver that converts digital audio to analog (Digital to Analog Converter). It's actually nice to have it outside of the computer system like that - it means you spend money on the actual audio components instead of replacing a sound card all the time. And inside of a computer is a sub-optimal place to have a sound card anyway due to interference, dirty power, etc.

Okay maybe I was a little hard on my last statement..

In my setup, Movies and games are very good comeing thru hdmi, music on the other hand really depends on the quality of the track, be it mp3, or flac. Actually, I kind of prefer my movies now thru hdmi, rather then my sound card.. kind of a tossup :bang head

I want a new amp now, thanks!

I guess the processing in the newer ampps have come along way since 2007 :rofl:

Edit:

I just removed my card and tried everything thru my gpu, I only put my soundcard back in for music..

Yup. A DAC is a standalone version of the part in the receiver that converts digital audio to analog (Digital to Analog Converter). It's actually nice to have it outside of the computer system like that - it means you spend money on the actual audio components instead of replacing a sound card all the time. And inside of a computer is a sub-optimal place to have a sound card anyway due to interference, dirty power, etc.

Ok so with a DAC the setup is hdmi gpu --> DAC --> Receiver --> Speakers?

If so that is what I was looking for. Or do you think that is necessary with a newer receiver like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117395

Last edited:
Exactly. Most receivers will have a DAC built in, though. So it depends on whether or not you want them to be separate. It's not worth having separate components much below the $1000 price point, give or take.

A good DAC can easily cost you $500-$800. If you buy a receiver that takes a digital input, and it's a $350 receiver, they'll naturally skimp on that portion of it. But that doesn't mean it's complete trash or anything - it just is what it is. If your budget is around the $350 mark then I think it makes perfect sense to just get a receiver with a built in DAC.

Hi all,,I have a yamaha rx-v1067 with zone 2 option to be able to watch and listen to things outside on our deck,,However my htpc (not sure what mother board as i only just got it) has onboard sound thats not good at all,,I llisten to more music and concerts than movies and want to be able to adjust the eq settings as I watch different concerts,,,,my question is what software ie mediaportal,xbmc etc would be good to use with the option built in to adjust eq settings in the media player it comes with as i want to run a soundcard,,surround sound is not that important as im old skool and like the 2/4 speaker configiration,,I know i could just use vlc and alls good but i like the thought of having a nice looking media center when i turn on the htpc,,

The "DAC" in a modern receiver is not really a DAC in the traditional sense. While modern (Delta Sigma) DACs have the Delta Sigma modulator and output low pass filter combined into the same chip and output a low voltage signal, the "DAC" in a receiver is a low voltage Delta Sigma modulator (usually inside the DSP) and a high voltage low pass LC filter, with the power stage in between. The analog inputs are digitized to drive the modulator and are only there for compatibility with legacy equipment. Using them is like using VGA on a LCD monitor.

The main exception to that rule are "retro" tube amps with digital input. Those do indeed have a conventional DAC driving the tubes, which in turn drive analog input Delta Sigma modulators. (Tubes powerful enough to directly drive speakers are very hot and expensive, thus limiting them to high end guitar amps and the like.)

Just use your HDMI out and use the AMP for sound conversion. It's better than whats in any soundcard anyway.

For what you're doing I'd agree, you don't need a soundcard.

That or just SPDIF to it, for the OP.

I agree with freeagent on that one, I just use optical though I guess.

I like being able to upgrade FLACs big time using it for music here myself with the Auzentech.

Last edited:
Back