• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just noticed...chasR isnt #1 anymore...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

wow the top 20 look nothing like they did a couple years ago.

Now that im out of the Army i have more time to notice things like this.

Things change quickly as the hardware pushes forward. ChasR was king of the quads, then came the BA units and now the GPUs are coming to the front of the line. Who knows what will be next...your iPhone maybe....

I don't think ChasR has had any machines folding on a regular basis for over a year now......probably more like a year and a half. :(

Not the same here without him.....

I don't think ChasR has had any machines folding on a regular basis for over a year now......probably more like a year and a half. :(

Not the same here without him.....

He is folding on the Rosetta team still.

Sad day =( I wish he was folding still. I haven't seen him around in a while.

Now that SMP is getting depreciated relative to BA and GPU my hardware isn't even treading water anymore. I'm being slowly buried. BA is also going away soon and then nothing will be in the way of EVGA ruling the folding world. It's less expensive to buy multiple GPUs than build a 4P system.

Last I checked, ChasR is grayed out in EOC stats page. I don't know if he's stopped FAH or still running up Adak's points.

Maybe not, EVGA are still running a lot of 4p BA systems whereas H have mainly quit already. Wait til the changes kick in and then make a call, things are always changing.

If you can, look at a low cost 2p rig, my old ones (dual L5640) ran @ 50k PPD for 220w from the wall, apart from 8101 they are still BA capable

guessing the days of BA on my i7 920 are long gone.

guessing the days of BA on my i7 920 are long gone.

yup.gif

November 14, 2011

Planned changes to "Big Advanced" (BA) projects, effective January 16, 2012

Big Advanced (BA) is an experimental type of Folding@home WUs intended for the most powerful machines in FAH. However, as time goes on, technology advances, and the characteristics associated with the most powerful machines changes. Due to these advances in hardware capabilities, we will need to periodically change the BA minimum requirements. Thus, we are shortening the deadlines of the BA projects. As a result, assignments will have a 16 core minimum. To give donors some advance warning, we are announcing this now, but the change will take place in 2 months: no earlier than on Monday January 16, 2012.

We understand that any changes to how FAH works is a disruption for donors, and we have been trying to minimize such changes. For that reason, we are not changing the points system at this time.

However, we want to emphasize that the BA program is experimental and that donors should expect changes in the future, potentially without a lot of notice (although we will try our best to give as much notice as we can). In particular, as hardware evolves, it is expected that we will need to change the nature of the BA WUs again in the future.

Source

Things change quickly as the hardware pushes forward. ChasR was king of the quads, then came the BA units and now the GPUs are coming to the front of the line. Who knows what will be next...your iPhone maybe....

ASIC's :rofl:

That's be cool if someone made them, it's actually useful. *sigh* instead people make them to mine Bitcoins or now Litecoins.

Heck just get the cheapest 1P board that supports multiple x8 or better graphic slots. As long as the processor isn't a bottle neck and you get great deals on the GPUs, you might be on the new cutting edge as -bigadv era phases out.

View attachment 142218
However, we want to emphasize that the BA program is experimental and that donors should expect changes in the future, potentially without a lot of notice (although we will try our best to give as much notice as we can). In particular, as hardware evolves, it is expected that we will need to change the nature of the BA WUs again in the future. [/URL]

"the nature of the BA WU" <-- turned out to be NO WUs at all...a bit more than was implied by the quote.

you get great deals on the GPUs, you might be on the new cutting edge as -bigadv era phases out.

In the past, GPUs have also been suddenly cut off with almost no notice. PG desires turn on a dime.

Don't buy anything you don't need, because tomorrow (or should I say this afternoon) it might have zero use to PG.

"the nature of the BA WU" <-- turned out to be NO WUs at all...a bit more than was implied by the quote.

And that will likely change again by the time the announced deadline arrives.....

I wasn't meaning to open that can here, just letting Methal know how long ago things changed in regards to his 920.......

And that will likely change again by the time the announced deadline arrives.....

I wasn't meaning to open that can here, just letting Methal know how long ago things changed in regards to his 920.......

Its obviously not hard to tell that I've been out of the folding loop for quite some time. Army life will do that to you.

That 920 was and still is one of the, if not THE single best computer part I've ever spent money on. As I recall last time I looked it was only 20% slower than the latest i7 chips on the market.
Only down side is that the socket is obsolete so if that board goes bad im in a rough spot lol.

Anyway Feels good to be back into things.

Yes, the Intel® X58 Express Chipset & Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor were a killer combo at the time...... 2thumbs.gif

Ran a few in the farm........I remember running 4 SMP instances per rig on those, good times. Then along came the -bigadv or BA wu you spoke of and the rest as they say is history.......

Always good to see people coming back to the fold !!

KF.gif

Back