• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended 140mm fans for Radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icewolf69

Hi everyone, long time lerker and first time poster.

I'm building my new dream computer and I wanted to ask the forums opinion.

A brief overview of the computer:

i7-4930k
4x GTX 780ti
Case Labs TX10-D

2x MO-RA3 Pro (9x140)
2x XSPC EX560 (4x140)
1x XSPC RX360 (3x120) (spare radiator)

So I'm figuring out what 140mm fans to put on the MORA and the 560's. I saw a few threads on this, but they seemed a bit old and i think there may be some new products. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Quiet is always better, and i think with this much radiator i could probably pull it off. Was thinking the Gently Typhoons or maybe the Cougar CF-D14HB.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thank you.

well the cougar really is not ideal for static pressure you want a fan blade with much more scoop in them :)

as for the Gently Typhoons not sure wich model your looking at :(

and if you want a good and quiet high performance rad fan you can always try something like this http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=82803 though it is not the best looking

also if you want something with more eye candy you can always get one of thees you will need a 140 to 120 adapter though http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp120-quiet-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan-twin-pack

103CFM at 1800 RPM and 36db? I doubt that...

What you need to know/have is the static pressure numbers for the fans. The higher the SP, the better it will 'push' through the radiator. ;)

yes but they are worth It if you are going with a 140mm fan and no need for a push pull ...... but buying 13 of them ....... ouch.

yes but they are worth It if you are going with a 140mm fan and no need for a push pull ...... but buying 13 of them ....... ouch.

With the specs/cost of everything else in his rig, those fans are almost a drop in the bucket.

well the cougar really is not ideal for static pressure you want a fan blade with much more scoop in them :)

as for the Gently Typhoons not sure wich model your looking at :(

and if you want a good and quiet high performance rad fan you can always try something like this http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=82803 though it is not the best looking

also if you want something with more eye candy you can always get one of thees you will need a 140 to 120 adapter though http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp120-quiet-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan-twin-pack

Actually the cougar fans have great static pressure and are much cheaper then both typhoons and nf a-14's

When you look at pressure you also need to look at the rpm's and if you do you will see same or better pressure vs rpm's with the cougars.

static pressure has more to do with blade tightness then scoop imho the tighter the blade is to the edge of the frame the better your pressure is its actually pretty simple the air flow has no where to escape too.

that said their is no negatives to using the sythe typhoons or the noctura fans as they are both very good quiet fans. but its been tested alot and the cougar fans are a great well priced alternative that have been takeing over some of that market share with value.

imho the other fans are just overpriced right now.

I had no temp losses with my large high density rads when i bought cougars vs the few typhoons i had "went into another case" and i bought 4 packs for 19.99$ so 4 fans for the price of one typhoon/nf12 .. hard to go wrong imho.

i say buy cougar if you can find the 4 packs cheap.

103CFM at 1800 RPM and 36db? I doubt that...

What you need to know/have is the static pressure numbers for the fans. The higher the SP, the better it will 'push' through the radiator. ;)

+1

With the specs/cost of everything else in his rig, those fans are almost a drop in the bucket.

+1

Thing here is its not only the SP as its very important but at what db does it perform. Sure the cougars might be great bargain fans as I am not too familiar with them nor have I seen them benchmarked etc by the pro's if I recall correctly but will they perform as quiet from their more expensive competitor? That is the questions.

First and foremost, welcome to OCFs OP. If you spent that kind of cash on a rig, mind you it sounds very high end and wish you share with us some pics of it once its all said and done :p, I wouldn't go cheap on the fans either. The problem is 140mm is still new to the market and not many high end premium fans have hit the 140mm market yet since the focus is still in the 120mm. With that said I would honestly buy 14+ of these and call it a day. They are made specifically for radiators and not for case fans by a reputable water cooling company. Best part is they don't come at a premium price.

I agree with "get some Helixes and get it over with" :)
There are no real cheap alternatives... Phobya maybe, not the best fan outthere, but adequate/acceptable and they often come in 4 , 8 or 9 pack pakage deals

Of course, you *could* take it one step further...
with a SanAce
https://db.sanyodenki.co.jp/product_db_e/coolingfan/dcfan/dc_fan_detail.php?master_id=2515
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_316_850&products_id=31238

or
a Sunon :D
http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/DCFAN/PF14038_U.pdf

But if you want to keep the noise down, you are in Push/Pull Noiseblocker territory... no cheap

Those big fans lack static pressure but with so much heat surface it shouldn't impede it too much. I guess its what delta temps the user would aim for. A CPU + say 2 GPUs in SLI would still consider it to be overkill but great for low RPM silent system. I am sure diminishing returns would absolutely be present.

I just installed a MO RA3 420 with 9 XSPC 140mm fans. They work well and the price at Sidewinder computers was $7.99 per fan. I also have a XSPC RX360 with 3 Corsair SP1 HP fans. For the 9 XSPC 140 fans I used a 3 to 1 splitter per row of fans and hooked the splitter into a 3" XSPC cable and then into channels 4,5 and 6 of my NZXT fan controller. Works well. These XSPC fans are designed for radiators.

I have to put my hat in the ring for Yate Loon DSH 140mm fans. I have 8 of them in total on 4 radiators between two rigs. They have plenty of push when you need it and are controllable down to reasonable speeds.

The thing with the MO-RA (& the Phobya NOVA) is that while they are LARGE rads, they are relatively "thin" with a low FPI. Can't remember exactly, but i think it was something like 7 FPI. (somebody did a review, who?)
And with that low FPI you dont need a lot of "ooomph", so something like the Phobya G-Silent 180 (PWM) actually works very well... and if you slap 8 of them in p/p on a MO-RA then you are looking at loop temps of 2-3-5 °C above ambient while running silent. :)

Of course, nobody is stopping you from slapping some Orions (OA180AP-11-1TB) on a MO-RA :D

The only drawback of the WC MO-RA vs the Phobya NOVA is that you need some pump power to overcome the +90 feet of tubing in the MO-RA (even when it's 4x70 parralel). The Phobya NOVA is a "classic" design and apparently offers less restriction.

Anyways.... love the "big" rads :clap:

I have to put my hat in the ring for Yate Loon DSH 140mm fans. I have 8 of them in total on 4 radiators between two rigs. They have plenty of push when you need it and are controllable down to reasonable speeds.
I just bought four of these as well. While they do not push a ton of air, the do the job well enough, and quiet enough! :thup:

Back