• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do my clocks automatically drop down to 2D freqs when I OC past a certain point?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

Why do my clocks automatically drop down to 2D freqs when I OC past a certain point?

I'm trying to find the max of this 512MB 7900GT (basically a GTX, it sure clocks like one), and if I watch the frequencies in RivaTuner, it drops my core/mem back down to the 2D settings of 430/660 as soon as I try to run a 3DMark test if I'm overclocked past around 700/810 or so.

I'm running 3DMark06 btw. Also, there is no artifacting or any signs of instability at this barrier - this isn't the breaking point of the card or anything. This happens if I try to play a 3D game like BioShock as well (drops down to 430/660 when starting/playing the game).

Temps are fine, overclocked and full load the card never goes above 70C. I've been able to trick the card into getting past this barrier while playing BioShock (playing around with the frequencies after the game loads) and it runs perfectly fine at 715/840 (monitored via riva tuner), so it's not a question of whether the card CAN run past this barrier.

I seem to remember there being some way to disable this through a BIOS mod or something (is it throttling, even though the temps are fine?), is that what I would have to do here?

Back