• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doublesight DS-263N.... Anyone have one??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'll love it! I just got my replacement from DS last week and it has 0 dead pixels and another BIG plus.... Some of the 263N's now come withe the same polarizer as the higher end NEC and my replacement is one of them! :D

There is no contrast shift at all with this screen. The blacks and grays stay exactly the same at any angle. Turns out a number of others are reporting having the same luck with the monitors they picked up, though it's luck of the draw right now.

I just got mine, how do I know if mine is one of the new ones with polarizer? Also what is a good way to get the colors and setting correctly? finally, how do I check for dead pixels?

Thanks in advance for responces

I just got mine, how do I know if mine is one of the new ones with polarizer? Also what is a good way to get the colors and setting correctly? finally, how do I check for dead pixels?

Thanks in advance for responces

1. The polarizer is a little tricky to tell, but when you see a monitor with one as compared to one with out, it's very noticeable. The easiest way is the load up a completely black image on the screen and look at the panel from off to the side in a dark room. If you see a sort of red-green mix of color, you have the polarizer. If it sort of washes out with a whiteness, you don't.

Here's a good example. Toasty's DS is on the left, and his Apple CD is on the right. Notice how the Apple sort of washes out with that whiteness on the angle and his DS doesn't? That's the polarizer at work. You will notice some greenness and redness however, but it's much better then the white.

ds-apple-angle.jpg

Here's another good pic to show the difference...

polarizer.jpg

2. I don't have a hardware calibrator, so I went by Toasty's post here (towards the bottom):

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032187513&postcount=36

Just use his posted settings and load the ICC profile he provides and you should be good to go.

3. To check for dead pixels, use UDPixel. It can be found HERE.

The program lets you load your screen with one solid color at a time. Just load one color, say, black, and check the screen for anything that looks like a different color. They can be hard to find sometimes, but just keep checking. ;)

Cool mine has the polarizer, I set it up to those setting but this thing is bright as hell if I visit a page that has white background. I seem to be getting some eye strain. I have the monitor maxed to 1920 x 1200 refresh rate seems to be at 60. Should I be getting eye strain? Is there anything I can do to minimize it?

Just turn the brightness down to 0. Maybe people say the monitor is still to bright at those settings, but I find mine comfy at 12.5 Have you used a big display before? If not, your eyes may need to adjust to the new monitor.

only 800:1 contrast ratio?

One of the dawbacks inherent with IPS technology. You really won't find many IPS panels higher then that. PVA/MVA can do a much better ratio. Case in point, the 2408wfp does 1300:1 but suffers from bad Black Crush where as the DS does not. Not much can be done about it, however, unlike the rediculous claims you see on many TN panels (3000:1) the 800:1 is what you actually get, and it is by no means poor. ;)

Still Pleased?

I was so hoping to buy the newest Dell 2408 to use as my primary gaming monitor. I'm still using CRTs and have been reluctant to switch to LCDs because of pixel response times. Now, when that issue seems to pretty much be resolved, they throw in a new twist, namely input lag. I'm not certain if 2-3 frames of input lag would truly affect my FPS game playing, but it seems at the very least, it's comparable to doubling my pings which are typically in the 30s to 50s. That seems pretty bad.

M Diddy, did you happen to play any FPS games for the short time you had your Dell? Where you disappointed? Did Dell allow you to return it simply because you didn't like the input lag? When your DoubleSight had a single dead pixel, did DoubleSight (or Newegg) give you an RMA without hassle, or did you have to beg? Are you still very happy with the DoubleSight, even though the contrast ratio is much lower than the Dell's? Finally, is the screen a full 26" or is it actually 25.5" in diagonal? Thanks.

Cool mine has the polarizer, I set it up to those setting but this thing is bright as hell if I visit a page that has white background. I seem to be getting some eye strain. I have the monitor maxed to 1920 x 1200 refresh rate seems to be at 60. Should I be getting eye strain? Is there anything I can do to minimize it?

Which warehouse did yours ship from? If anyone gets the Doublesight 26", please list if you have or don't have the polarizer, and which warehouse it shipped from. Thanks!

What is the greatest and best monitor now days. I cannot deal with the 263n anymore. My eyes are killing me :(

Back