• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA DVD burner question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paradoxmaker

I just installed a Samsung SATA DVD burner and noticed something weird. In the my computer folder, the new drive shows up as 3 different drive letters (D, J, and L).
DVDscreenshot.jpg

I only have the 1 drive installed. Is this normal or is there a setting i'm missing that would combine these back to one drive.

You're not running any drive emulation software?
that's not normal.
If you right click and select "Eject", does it open the sata optical drive tray every time?

What those removable drives? Sometime they try to emulate CD\DVD drives. I would try hooking up your sata dvd by itself and see if you still get extra drives.

You're not running any drive emulation software?
that's not normal.
If you right click and select "Eject", does it open the sata optical drive tray every time?

Nope No drive emulation software is installed (unless there is something weird in the stock MB drivers).

If i Click EJECT on the one that say DVD RAM, it opens the tray. The other 2 do not.

Whatever is goin on is new, the OS has been up and running for about 2 months and i did not have this weird drive lableing on the IDE drive that i just took out.

BTW, this brings up another question.

Any idea why it would be labeled as a DVD-RAM drive when it's clearly a DVD Burner??

SAMSUNG SATA 22X DVD Burner
Model #: SH-S223F
22X DVD+R 8X
DVD+RW 16X
DVD+R DL 22X
DVD-R 6X
DVD-RW 12X
DVD-RAM 16X
DVD-ROM 48X
CD-R 32X
CD-RW 48X
CD-ROM
2MB Cache

OK it get's stranger....

I got home and booted up to see this.
DVDscreenshot2.jpg

Now i only show 2 DVD drives (also shown in Disk manager), The Drive that was labeled J is gone but D and L are still there...

Uninstall both from there and restart.

I Uninstalled both from the device manager and refreshed the Drive directory and both DVD drives disappeared. So i restarted

Welllll it worked for about 30 sec...

I immediately checked the directory after boot and it showed 1 drive only (DVD ROM "D"). Pulled up the device manager and as i watched it "found" the other one and Drive "L" popped up also.

Ohhh Wellll

I Uninstalled both from the device manager and refreshed the Drive directory and both DVD drives disappeared. So i restarted

Welllll it worked for about 30 sec...

I immediately checked the directory after boot and it showed 1 drive only (DVD ROM "D"). Pulled up the device manager and as i watched it "found" the other one and Drive "L" popped up also.

Ohhh Wellll
That means something is creating it...check all your software. My backup program (Acronis True Image) will create one when I tell it to "mount" a backup. Go through all your software.

That means something is creating it...check all your software. My backup program (Acronis True Image) will create one when I tell it to "mount" a backup. Go through all your software.

LOL that's what it was....Deamon Tools was set for mount 1 drive even though it was inactive (i thought)...Changed it to no drives and now the 2nd offender (Drive L)is gone from my Device manager and Drive directory...

Thank you very much.:beer:

Back