• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C and Arduino help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mosfets have a different pinout generally speaking than normal transistors, the Gate pin is on the left in that picture, Drain is the in the middle, and Source is on the right.
Roughly translated: Left pin goes to the Arduino, middle to the fan black wire, and right to GND.
Despite the datasheet

That may fix it right there, if not try adding a brief kickstart to the code, set it to 255 briefly and then down to whatever speed you're after.

I changed the wiring....but same result.
2 reasons why I don't think a kickstart will work....firstly, it doesn't help if I spin it a bit with my fingers. Secondly, when it goes down from full speed to medium speed, it stops and you can hear the funny vibrating sound.

I might just ask the tutor on Monday, it's not due until the 10th.

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

I think the fans were just low quality....I heard a few other people having trouble.

I quickly implemented the push button to print the array of information in the terminal window and showed the tutor.

Good news, he was very lax about marking, he just got me to quickly demonstrate the temperature changing and the alarm going off etc.

I got 9/10, only losing a mark on not implementing the push button to reset the alarm.

I just have to finish the report now w00t. Only one more assignment and I'm finished with this unit. We're making traffic lights...but it's a group assignment and shouldn't be too hard hopefully...

I can't thank you enough for your help!

I'm glad it worked out for you!

If you make a good traffic light lemme know, my town desperately needs someone capable of such a thing. Whoever programmed those things...

Very happy I could help!

Wow, good read guys, been dabbling just a tiny bit with an Arduino in my spare time (which I never seem to have enough of) just wanted to say thanks for a good thread and chime in about a good spot to pick up an Arduino if you haven't already http://www.adafruit.com/category/17_64 I picked up a beginner kit here along with a potentiometer as well. SparkFun I'm told is another good spot for this stuff as well.

J :cool:

Wow, good read guys, been dabbling just a tiny bit with an Arduino in my spare time (which I never seem to have enough of) just wanted to say thanks for a good thread and chime in about a good spot to pick up an Arduino if you haven't already http://www.adafruit.com/category/17_64 I picked up a beginner kit here along with a potentiometer as well. SparkFun I'm told is another good spot for this stuff as well.

J :cool:

Hey, sorry I missed this post until now. Glad we could help. Bob did all the heavy lifting, I just asked all the questions haha.

I reckon students taking the unit in semester 1 2012 will find this thread and probably benefit from it a lot.

I missed it too!

Hey Bob! Let me know if you ever want lessons in 3D graphics or Drumming haha. Those are probably the only two things I'm skilled enough in to teach others.

I think I might be doing some Perl programming in one unit this semester. Should be interesting and hopefully not too difficult.

Will do :D

Haven't really been having enough time to do much beyond job1+job2+kids lately.
On the plus side job2 and kids are entertaining :D

Will do :D

Haven't really been having enough time to do much beyond job1+job2+kids lately.
On the plus side job2 and kids are entertaining :D

Well I'm glad your work is entertaining. I just wasted several hours trying to reset this Aten KVM. If this thread is indexed in google, for anyone searching in future please read this: the reset jumper is inside the unit! You will need to get it out of the rack and pull it all apart! The reset button on the front and the firmware switch at the back have nothing to do with resetting the master password, don't waste your time on them! The Aten website is useless for this info.

haha now that's out of the way, what's your job number 2? I'll hazard a guess, office work with some funny co-workers? For summer holidays I'm working in IT at a high school.

Job2 is reviewing hardware for the OCF frontpage and for funkykit.com
I guess it's job2 and job3 technically :p

Job2 is reviewing hardware for the OCF frontpage and for funkykit.com
I guess it's job2 and job3 technically :p

oh cool, you get to take 1275W PSUs and push their limits! I've always considered myself a geek but never tried an overclock. It's an issue of not having the kind of money where a fried CPU or GPU isn't an issue. When I graduate and get a good job I'll try my first overclock. I'm still running an old Q6600 at home (it was a great purchase over 4 years ago now, one of the early quad core chips). I think they have good o/c potential so one day it'll get it's chance. I finish uni in like 2 years and I'll probably still have it then.

In the mean time, my precious Starcraft 2 runs fine so I'm happy haha.

It takes a fair amount of abuse to kill stuff generally :D

The cheap way to get started is to grab a $50ish 775 board, $20ish low end Exxxx series CPU and some $20 cheap ddr2. If that stuff dies it's fairly cheap and easy to replace.

It takes a fair amount of abuse to kill stuff generally :D

The cheap way to get started is to grab a $50ish 775 board, $20ish low end Exxxx series CPU and some $20 cheap ddr2. If that stuff dies it's fairly cheap and easy to replace.

My hardware at home is essentially what you described here (except for the Q6600). I have a radeon 3850 which gets so hot you can hardly keep your finger on it, I haven't reapplied thermal paste to my proc in about 2 years (which reminds me, I might "borrow" some from work haha) and my board was so cheap, i'm not sure what o/c features it has.

Also the forecast in Perth for the next few days (and probably 2 or so months) is hot, hot and hot.

I only have the stock cooling in my case / on my cpu and on my gpu.

In future I will definitely try overclocking, but for now, as they say, let sleeping dogs lie. If I stuff something up and can't play starcraft, even for a few days, I'll go insane. :chair:

Hey I got a Nvidia 560ti and a noctua air cpu cooler (massive upgrade over the stock intel thing).

My mobo, unfortunately has no overclocking stuff I can find. It is an ASUS P5G41T-M LX.

And a very important question Bob :D Do you know anything about BASH scripting? Regular expressions? Using the Linux command line in general? I'm doing a unit on this subject this semester.

I just got a pretty poor score in a little quiz we had. I'm getting tripped up by regex and commands like sed and awk.

Back