• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Marathon: Competition Feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmwbaxter

This thread is for feedback on the Marathon Benching Competition. Any feedback is appreciated, good or bad. Anything you want added, taken away or changed?

Thanks,
bmwbaxter

Summary:
-Automated form for submission
-Speed cap
-Start and end dates :p
-Rules for when to start for points
-Divisions rework

Last edited:
I know one of the criticism is going to be about the sudden end. I had mentioned it being shorter earlier in the competition, but I should have been clear at the start of June.

Next time will be a full 8 months.

Overall a very good job. A great mix of benchmarks.

About the only thing I would change is instead of a no holds barred competition, limit clock speeds on the 2D/CPU side of things. Part of the point of the comp was to learn tweaks and find new ones, but the reality of things are that raw horsepower and extreme cooling won out in the end. If you limit CPU to 5GHz, that will force tweaks to win and more importantly, to learn them if you don't know/use them.

Also, there should be a cutoff date for joining the competition. Perhaps this only happened to me but getting beat by someone that didn't participate from the start and joined in the middle was a bit off putting to me as it hurts chances of winning the overall if someone jumps in later with better hardware. So between limits on speeds, and potentially hardware, plus requiring to sign up and participate from the start to be included in the overall rankings would make something already good, even better.

Thanks again for all your effort making it happen and anyone else involved. :)

Possibly have it being you can't join part way into either the 2d or 3d. But if you missed /were late for 2d you can still compete in 3d.

I would definitely consider having a speed cap, or possible have a intel/amd/unlimited.

I like that first idea, yep.

Problem with different classes like that is you may only have a couple people participating in each. Intel/AMD on 2D no extreme cooling (water or less) is about all you can drop it down to IMO.

I think it is a great tool to get people to want to bench and remain fresh on our point bearing benches, or as a tool to help newbs learn said benches.
No reason to not continue. sadly, I dont have the hardware to compete as I am not a gamer so generally dont have much for gpu's. but the idea is more than sound

I agree with Joe in that putting the speed limiter would be the way to go, as I had trouble getting any sort of an extreme cooling medium that would put me at a pretty big disadvantage.

Heck even 4.5ghz should be viable for virtually everyone with an aftermarket cooler (including the new haswell chips) and the tweaking necessary will be what divides the people. Although I think it is important to disclose said tweaks at the end of the month, otherwise those that know them continue to do and those that don't are still in the dark.

Then you get into a grey area on sharing secrets. Part of the reason some of the tweaks remain secret are to get people to join the team and to give them that last little push/access to all the resources we have in order to help the team maximize boints.

Did I miss something? So the competition is over now? Anyway, I think how it went down was good :) Depending on the effort you already have with organizing this competition, I would have liked to see the post# linked to the current leader board, so you can see what your competitors did. This is optional and only a minor thing I would have liked to see.

@ ED I see your point, partly. However you would have been beaten by the same person if he joined from the start, too, so no real difference there? I think limiting the time to join is not a good idea. People like me, joined later but as you yourself pointed out you want people to join the benching team and if you exclude people who missed the date, they won't get interested in benching.

As for the speedcap, I personally didn't bother about people with better HW however I like the idea of being able to compete against them :thup:

Bear with me if I totally miss the point here :chair:

It is absolutely true I would have gotten beat if they joined from the start. For me personally, it just took the wind out of my sails to know who has what, and what I am competing against to suddenly get knocked out of the running by someone that has no chance to place overall since they missed a few competitions. It messes with the overall rank when someone joins late with good hardware under this setup.

I think I look at it too much like a competition, LOL!

EDIT: I personally do not know of a competition that allows you to join after its started. That said, there are different goals here than just the competition so that makes it tough. Perhaps a comprimise that one can join whenever, but if you didnt join from the start, you cannot win the overall competition...

Last edited:
Did I miss something? So the competition is over now? Anyway, I think how it went down was good :) Depending on the effort you already have with organizing this competition, I would have liked to see the post# linked to the current leader board, so you can see what your competitors did. This is optional and only a minor thing I would have liked to see.

@ ED I see your point, partly. However you would have been beaten by the same person if he joined from the start, too, so no real difference there? I think limiting the time to join is not a good idea. People like me, joined later but as you yourself pointed out you want people to join the benching team and if you exclude people who missed the date, they won't get interested in benching.

As for the speedcap, I personally didn't bother about people with better HW however I like the idea of being able to compete against them :thup:

Bear with me if I totally miss the point here :chair:
It has concluded for this run, as for linking a post. I am currently working on a google doc similar to our haswell over clocking results thread. So I won't have to manually input all the scores. Having it more automated will make it easier to add more detail to the leaderboard.

Still working on it so I don't know what the final product will be yet.

If anyone is good with that kind of thing send me a PM if you want to help me out.

If you're up for doing some research you can put a different speed cap on Intel vs AMD and take the two classes out.
For SPI1M it'd be something like a 5GHz AMD cap and a 3700MHz Intel cap, but it's still a possibility. I considered it last year but never got around to testing.

Then you get into a grey area on sharing secrets. Part of the reason some of the tweaks remain secret are to get people to join the team and to give them that last little push/access to all the resources we have in order to help the team maximize boints.

True, although most (obviously not all) tweaks are out in the wild for those that know where to look. Fortunately we have it all in one easy-to-reference place :thup:

If you're up for doing some research you can put a different speed cap on Intel vs AMD and take the two classes out.
For SPI1M it'd be something like a 5GHz AMD cap and a 3700MHz Intel cap, but it's still a possibility. I considered it last year but never got around to testing.

Easier for seperate classes, no research required and the caps would vary from chip to chip.

It is absolutely true I would have gotten beat if they joined from the start. For me personally, it just took the wind out of my sails to know who has what, and what I am competing against to suddenly get knocked out of the running by someone that has no chance to place overall since they missed a few competitions. It messes with the overall rank when someone joins late with good hardware under this setup.
I got you wrong in the first place, now I see what you mean. I thought got beaten in overall ranking. However getting beating in single runs by someone who can't win overall, depriving you of the chance of winning overall due to those losses messes the leaderboard. Then you are absolutly right :)

edit: baxter YGPM regarding your spreadsheet

Last edited:
I really liked the competition, for obvious reasons. .:ty:

But that aside, I was very happy with how the leaders handled the competition and I thought it was run very effectively.

To the people who want a speed limit, during the 32m competition, I started a 5ghz thread which only received 3 submissions, with one being mine.. :shrug:

To the people who want a speed limit, during the 32m competition, I started a 5ghz thread which only received 3 submissions, with one being mine.. :shrug:
A sub comp will never get as many submissions as the main. If its in the rules, all will have to follow it. This can also bring in more people as a common complaint in the threads were that they didn't have the hardware or cooling to compete. If you limit the clock to a tangible ambient value, there should be less (ok different, LOL!) complaints and more participation since nearly everyone has a chance. :thup:

This competition has been enticing to me. It had been years since I'd messed around with much benching, and never competitively. Just me messing around. I've had a good time through the thoughtful efforts of bmwbaxter and xsuperbgx in finding my old hobby again, taking it to a new level, hopefully.

Personally, kids are grown and I have more time to be involved. Sorta. It hasn't always been that way.

I'd say continue to run the competitions as a learning/recruiting tool. Work it like golf: kids tees, ladies tees, and men's tees. There will always be benchers with more $$ to throw at the game but there should be a way of dividing the hardware into classes that is encouraging, not discouraging. If I come up with some ideas, I'll post. I just wanted to post up this as a BIG THANKS for all the giggles I've had so far this year. Good job guys. :salute:

Back