• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

So I picked myself up a set of these for the kids to give me for Christmas. :D

AKG Q701.png
AKG Q701

After some research it looks like I am better off going with a soundcard than an independent headphone amp.

These will only be used on my computer.

Admittedly, my knowledge on this subject is limited to about 40 hours of headphone research and about 10 hours of amp/DAC reasearch.

I am planning on buying those headphones later this month as well. How do you like them? I was planning on pairing them with a Creative X-fi Titanium HD

I am planning on buying those headphones later this month as well. How do you like them? I was planning on pairing them with a Creative X-fi Titanium HD

I only tested them to make sure they worked.

The kids are going to wrap them up for me for Christmas. So I can't give you a review yet.

I can tell you that I bought them on a flash sale on amazon.com for 179 + free shipping.:thup:

I had them shipped to a friend in RI and then he shipped them to me. It still save me 100 bucks over buying them here. :rain:

Don't see much point in using a sound card for speakers unless you have some legacy or "retro" pro gear you want to use. Modern amplifiers/receivers accept digital signals and work just as well with onboard.

Makes sense. Thanks

The STX and Phoebus are nearly identical regarding hardware, both of which are good cards, but for gaming, sadly... The STX sounds hollow.

I would look at a Creative Titanium HD + Fiio E09k desktop amp to properly drive those cans or the Xonar Phoebus if you are willing to return if it doesnt work dor you. The Phoebus is my fav aside from the TiHD or HT Omega Claro Halo as far as all around performance, but it comes with KNOWN driver issues in certain setups. Thats why I mention, be willing to return if you have issues. Otherwise so long as it runs properly, the Phoebus is my daily driver for the pc running Beyer DT990 600ohm cans.

I've done a lot of research on this topic lately, and it seems that DAC/Amp combos have every advantage on PC soundcards in sound quality due to low output impedance, low noise, and the fact the more money is put into quality hardware rather than bells and whistles like EAX and Dolby Headphone.

I'll be pairing my AKG Q701 with a Fiio E10 DAC/Amp. (I would go with an O2+ODAC if I could afford it)

It's very easy to DIY a headphone amp - just a good opamp and a few resistors and capacitors. You can DIY a DAC if you're really good with electronics, but beginners should just buy one. Get one with S/PDIF and plug it into the onboard S/PDIF out.

Keep your sound outside your noisy computer environment is what I say. Look at external options more than internal ones if it's practical. More easily moved around, and easier to work with when changing computer parts as you don't need to worry about another cable or two plus that extra slot being taken up.

Plus I feel it's cleaner audio outside the computer. I use the D1 from Audioengine myself. Paired with their a5+ and a wharfdale sw150 sub. Along with my Shure SRH 1840s. Honestly good sound is good sound. Period. None of that 'oh this is great for games' stuff far as I'm concerned... If it sounds good. It just does. And it works.

Also don't bother using any surround effects or anything like that via software. It's useless and just adds clutter almost...

Back